Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

If you commute by train, it's a no brainer. There's no way any place in Melville is closer to the train than, say, the college section of Greenlawn which puts you pretty close to the Huntington RR station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 10:16 AM

18 posts, read 32,222 times
where are these diff areas in melville/huntington? monkey, i know you asked for a couple of diff street names for areas in huntington but looks like those were sent to you privately. ive been thinking a good location would be north of park ave and south of 25A which keeps you in harborfields SD but within a short commute by car to the huntington station. any other thoughts about that area? perhaps its actually one of the areas mentioned and i dont even know it!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:22 AM

33 posts, read 64,633 times
A couple of family members have done the commute from Greenlawn and it was really difficult. They could not manage it for very long. Luckily, there were other opportunities for them on LI. The Greenlawn, station, by the way, is horrendous because trains are infrequent, make many stops, and usually require the dreaded Jamaica transfer. Most people from the area are stuck using the Huntington station, so that's what you want to be close to, not Greenlawn. A friend is trying the commute now from Centerport and brutal would be the appropriate word. This is not something you can take on long-term. Not full-time, anyway. You are correct in saying that Centerport is off the beaten path. However, its somewhat remote nature is also what makes it so nice. I would definitely recommend it if you did not have to work in the city and also if you could afford to buy a house there, of course. They don't come cheap. The Longacre section of Huntington goes to the same school district as Centerport, which is Harborfields. The houses are really nice, and that particular neighborhood is pretty close to the Huntington train station, unlike Centerport, which is all the way across town to the east and north. However, most of Longacre is also really expensive. There are a few smaller streets in there with houses that are not quite as much money. My only criticism of Longacre would be that some very shady sections of Huntington are too close for comfort

Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 AM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Essie View Post
A couple of family members have done the commute from Greenlawn and it was really difficult. They could not manage it for very long. Luckily, there were other opportunities for them on LI. The Greenlawn, station, by the way, is horrendous because trains are infrequent, make many stops, and usually require the dreaded Jamaica transfer. Most people from the area are stuck using the Huntington station, so that's what you want to be close to, not Greenlawn. A friend is trying the commute now from Centerport and brutal would be the appropriate word. This is not something you can take on long-term. Not full-time, anyway. You are correct in saying that Centerport is off the beaten path. However, its somewhat remote nature is also what makes it so nice. I would definitely recommend it if you did not have to work in the city and also if you could afford to buy a house there, of course. They don't come cheap. The Longacre section of Huntington goes to the same school district as Centerport, which is Harborfields. The houses are really nice, and that particular neighborhood is pretty close to the Huntington train station, unlike Centerport, which is all the way across town to the east and north. However, most of Longacre is also really expensive. There are a few smaller streets in there with houses that are not quite as much money. My only criticism of Longacre would be that some very shady sections of Huntington are too close for comfort
Thank you for posting this- I have friends in the Harborfields district & they say the commute is a pain, like you described. And my friends in the Dix Hills/Melville area who don't have a complaint. I thought I was going crazy, with everyone else here saying the commute from Harborfields is shorter/easier. That's certainly not what I've heard from people who live in the area...

Old 09-19-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroOfTheRails View Post
where are these diff areas in melville/huntington? monkey, i know you asked for a couple of diff street names for areas in huntington but looks like those were sent to you privately. ive been thinking a good location would be north of park ave and south of 25A which keeps you in harborfields SD but within a short commute by car to the huntington station. any other thoughts about that area? perhaps its actually one of the areas mentioned and i dont even know it!
I haven't found the house I'm looking for yet...but more & more I'm leaning towards the Half Hollow Hills district instead of Harborfields. I just like the look and feel of it better- not to mention it is more conveniently located.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you commute by train, it's a no brainer. There's no way any place in Melville is closer to the train than, say, the college section of Greenlawn which puts you pretty close to the Huntington RR station.
Not sure how far it is from Greenlawn to the Huntington station...but from some parts of Melville it is less than 10 min to the CSH station...and certainly many parts of Dix Hills are less than 10 min from the Deer Park or Wyandanch stations. I consider anything less than a 10 min drive to be pretty close to the train station...

Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
I don't know what your price point is, but there are a few homes in the Salem Ridge area that are for sale (Huntington & Harborfields, south of 25A, East of Park.)

The Dunlop area is nice as well (Holst Dr.).

You should also consider Greenlawn...north of Pulaski around Broadway/Centerport Rd and the streets off of Oldfield Rd.

I'm in Huntington/Harborfields and many of my neighbors commute to the city via the Huntington Station line.

Harborfields is a very different community than HHH. Like others have mentioned, my husband and I wanted to be more secluded. We didn't want to live near highways and major roadways, despite their "sometimes" convenience. (We started our house hunting in the Woodbury and Dix Hills area because we were living in Woodbury at the time.) We wanted a small town feel and tight community. We found it in the Harborfields district. We rarely leave the Huntington Village, Greenlawn, Centerport area. We definitely have a small town feel/vibe here.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:41 AM

id love to stay below 800k if possible but if i find the dream home, would go up a bit im guessing. yep, that whole area is where i figure to be if we decided to go harborfields (the greenlawn area you mention and/or salem ridge)

ImportersWife...you say the small town feel is there...i sometimes wonder if because we would be at the very south of the district if wed be a bit on the outs as far as things going on within the SD area...perhaps most of it occurring norting in centerport, etc? Although regardless, i think being near the village in huntington would be fantastic.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 AM

33 posts, read 64,633 times
Yes,the Harborfields and HHH communities are totally different. Agreed that Harborfields is much, much more close-knit. It is also not diverse at all, nor do most people here want it to be, unlike HHH. Some people elsewhere view that as a plus, some as a minus. The school district is small, by Long Island standards, so it does have that small town feel. The relative physical isolation adds to that. There is no mixing or combining of schools within the district, so children go to school with the same kids from kindergarten through 12th. All the kids know each other, and when parents attend functions at school, pretty much all the faces look familiar, even if you don't know everybody's name. That appeals to me. There are some higher end pockets within the district that seem a little snobby and not so welcoming of others, but it's not a big deal. The nicest parts of the district in my opinion are the Longacre section of Huntington, the Salem Ridge section of Huntington, the very small part of Greenlawn bounded by Centerport Road and Arbutus Drive, and pretty much all of Centerport but especially the Peninsula. Money is a big deal for sure, but the opulence is far more understated than what you see in HHH, which is much flashier. Huge drawback for Harborfields is the commute, but more manageable if you live in the Huntington part. If I was basing my decision solely on commute, I would go 100% with HHH and would not even consider Harborfields, but it would be hard to isolate that concern. It also matters where you are commuting to. A workplace close to Penn station makes a bit of difference and is much easer than something like the Upper East Side, Brooklyn, or Lower Manhattan. Those are deadly.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 AM

Aweesome info Essie...i too love the idea that kids will be growing up with the same kids throughout and can now see the appeal but i dont quite get this bit:

"Huge drawback for Harborfields is the commute, but more manageable if you live in the Huntington part. If I was basing my decision solely on commute, I would go 100% with HHH and would not even consider Harborfields"

if i work in midtown, take the LIRR and have to drive to a station, wouldnt it be more difficult to do that from anywhere in the HHH district? if im missing something, let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island