Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
I didnt say the word cancellation. I just took what FIOS offered me and told CV retention that I had been with CV for 15 years and this is what FIOS is offering me and then said to them "Why would I stay with CV?"

They matched the price and gave me an upgraded package for a year.

Time to play the game again next year. This is the 1st year I have had to play this game.
I tried exactly that with retention and they wouldn't budge to match FIOS. After 15 minutes of back and forth, they then went on to say porting the number will have to be done next so they were really going to cancel me if I didn't take their already lowered price (still higher than FIOS and they knew that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Agreed. I've never had an issue with either company lowering/keeping the price and usually offering additional promos. FIOS would require the 2 year deal but made good offers. FIOS and CV, 6 of one, half dozen of the other for me but the wife and kid like CV so guess what I have now. Then again, CV has Fight Now channel and FIOS doesn't. CV locked in promo pricing for 2 years when I said "I still have my FIOS equipment, if price jumps, I leave." News 12 is fairly worthless except for local election debates...so yeah, like I said...worthless.
does CV offer NHL Network with their package that offers all the sports channels? I didn't think it did (my parents don't care, but that's a reason I told the CV guy at MY door I'm not switching unless they throw that in - he never got back to me. Also, the 2-year agreement for FIOS is not necessary to keep the price below CV. I don't have a contract with FIOS (year 4) and am still below CV even after the retention offer (year 2). The only way CV is lower is if I got rid of the sports programming (parents need YES) which isn't even a premium package - they wanted to drop me to family basic.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 AM

74 posts, read 231,856 times
I really wish Fios would come to my area but looks like that will never happen. Our plan is to cut cable completely once our Cablevision promo expires next year.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:03 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,548 times
I am going to throw this out there. Buy a WiFi enabled TV (Samsung SmartTV) and subscribe only for internet service from CableVision or FIOS and get NetFlix, Hulu or Amazon Prime. I did this for a vacation rental we own and I was surprised my family and myself did not miss the FIOS packaged content at all. The one thing you will lose is sports content.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
I am going to throw this out there. Buy a WiFi enabled TV (Samsung SmartTV) and subscribe only for internet service from CableVision or FIOS and get NetFlix, Hulu or Amazon Prime. I did this for a vacation rental we own and I was surprised my family and myself did not miss the FIOS packaged content at all. The one thing you will lose is sports content.
and some kids programming that netflix doesn't have like umi zoomi and that new dog show. They have a good selection, but not my kids' favorites. We'd also miss HGTV/Bravo. I know hulu has some shows but not everything and we'd have to upgrade to new tvs or devices for wifi. I feel like unless you're on a shoestring budget, you still get a good deal for triple play @ ~$115/mo (I mean internet is already nearly half that). It's just the principle of the thing that they don't want to match each other in lowering their prices. Competition is good.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:15 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I tried exactly that with retention and they wouldn't budge to match FIOS. After 15 minutes of back and forth, they then went on to say porting the number will have to be done next so they were really going to cancel me if I didn't take their already lowered price (still higher than FIOS and they knew that).

Hang up and get a different person. CV knows if you are bluffing and can check if FIOS is available where you are.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:16 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I treid to negotiate with Cablevision, but they would not budge. My monthly bill will increase from about $110 to about $165 if I stay with Cablevision.

Verizon claims that FIOS is not available in my area. I know that is not true, since there are others in my condo complex that have FIOS. They said they will look into it and get back to me.

If I am able to switch to Verizon FIOS, I really wonder whether or not it is worth it. I know that the taxes are higher. Also, the $89.99 does not include any cable boxes or DVR service, and aparently without a box, I won't get any service at all (they said that you can get a digital adapter, but it's only $1 less than the cost of a box, so that hardly seems worth it). How much can I expect triple play to cost with 1 HD DVR box and 1 regular HD box, including all of the taxes? I'm guessing more than $110 but less than $165? Verizon can't tell me any pricing info until they determine if service is available in my area.

Assuming I am able to get the service, I would have to decide whether or not it is worth it to switch to Verizon, or to just suck it up and pay the $165 per month for Cablevision. It seems that if I switch to Verizon, I would lose out on the wireless hot spots, and I would lose out on the traffic and weather, which are both services that I do use.

Is there any chance I can convince Cablevision to reduce my rate below $165? I realize I'll probably have to pay more than $110, but $165 per month seems ridiculous.

Thanks.
I pay around $185 per month with the Extreme HD package and upgraded internet:

-Phone (long distance/domestic. No international)
-Upgraded High Speed Internet Access (we have either 50/25 or 75/35--can't remember which and I never have issues considering we have2 laptops and 3 cell phones connected to Wi-Fi)
-1 DVR/HD box
-2 regular boxes (you can watch DVR from them and not the main box)
-All premium channels like HBO, Showtime, STARZ, Cinemax, etc, along with the On-Demand that goes with each channel
-With the HD package we also got extra sports channels

If they're not giving you accurate info, just keep calling and you'll end up with the right agent. They upgraded our HD package at no charge.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
But you still have to pay for Netflix and Hulu and you're not going to see as much as you do with cable.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
But you still have to pay for Netflix and Hulu and you're not going to see as much as you do with cable.
True but the total cost of ownership is much lower and the amount of programming available is appreciable. When my FIOS contract is up in 15 months I am stepping down to internet only.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
True but the total cost of ownership is much lower and the amount of programming available is appreciable. When my FIOS contract is up in 15 months I am stepping down to internet only.
I guess that's true depending on what you watch and how much tv you watch. We have Netflix too and I have to say, my daughter watches that more on her laptop than we actually watch tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island