Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:16 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
Good idea, but getting a teen up at 6am on a weekend ain't easy .
I figured we'd do it on Sunday evenings.
I'm retired Navy, my kids have never had an issue getting up but I understand what you mean. Besides, this is for them not me and I am not doing it in the evening. Once I used the ultimate threat and said "let your mother take you".....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 08:08 PM

312 posts, read 515,994 times
Funny topic because driving home tonight I thought what in the *&^% am I going to do when my son needs to learn to drive. I seriously couldn't ride around LI with anyone. They would have to muzzle me. I feel more in control behind the wheel, but my eyes are glued to the road.

I am already worried, and he isn't even four yet...............

I feel for all of you.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:49 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,108 times
Quote:
I took her out tonight for her first crack at driving at dusk. At a right turn on red, she got confused and did a quick stop a bit too late, the camera flash went off. I told her to come to a full stop but she thought it was too late (she was flustered), and proceeded to turn; the camera flash went off again.
Now, if a cop pulled us over he would probably let it go. What does one do in this case?
Just pay the fine that the Red-Light camera imposes upon you. Take your daughter to either a deserted airstrip or an abandoned mall
if you want to teach her how to move the pedals.

What does one do in this case? Watch the mailbox and keep the checkbook handy, the human eye is pretty fast, the camera is quicker.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:26 AM

481 posts, read 1,059,928 times
Parking lots aren't enough, they need to learn how to drive in all sorts of traffic. She can parallel park better than me, and drive well as long as there's not many cars on the road. Once in the real world, things change. Just yesterday, in a development, the guy behind us got upset that she came to a full stop (seriously it was one second). He sat on his horn and unsuccessfully tried to go around us. This freaked her out, and I think contributed to the right on red with the camera light problem. She kept asking what she did wrong. It's a tough world.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:53 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
I recall driving at night for the first time. It required so much more attention because all you saw were 2 headlights instead for oncoming traffic and you couldn't judge distance too well yet. I'm not surprised she got flustered. Add to that we didn't have red light cameras in the 90s. I guess I'll have to have them avoid those roads when it comes time.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-20-2013 at 06:05 AM..

Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,067,849 times
Quote:
Parking lots aren't enough, they need to learn how to drive in all sorts of traffic. She can parallel park better than me, and drive well as long as there's not many cars on the road. Once in the real world, things change. Just yesterday, in a development, the guy behind us got upset that she came to a full stop (seriously it was one second). He sat on his horn and unsuccessfully tried to go around us. This freaked her out, and I think contributed to the right on red with the camera light problem. She kept asking what she did wrong. It's a tough world.
passing the test is one thing....learning how to really drive is another. Then comes the experience & common sense which you have little control over.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:02 PM

295 posts, read 345,565 times
Just wondering what the avergae age this is all occuring nowadays. I have 9 month old and have many many years to go.

I recieved my permit and passed the road test when I was 16. It turned to a full fledged license when I as 17 after I had passed Driver's ed in the summer between my junior and senior year.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:47 PM

19 posts, read 41,019 times
Whether the OP was driving the car does not matter, the fine still must be paid unless you have a mitigating excuse; since it is a red-light camera violation, this is not considered a moving violation and does not impact your license in terms of deductions of your points. The notice of violation which is sent to the registered owner's address, will be supported with two photos - one of the vehicle just before entering the intersection showing a steady red light and a second photo showing the vehicle making the turn against the steady red light. Your license plate will also be clearly shown in the notice of violation.

Two months ago, I was caught running a red light in Queens; I submitted a letter explaining that I had no choice but to enter the intersection because there was a fire truck about 50 yards behind me that had its lights and sirens blaring. I'm still waiting to hear back from Traffic Violation Bureau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They review the pictures - there is probably more than one and will show she stopped. If not, you can go to court and say you weren't driving....which is the truth.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal24 View Post
Just wondering what the avergae age this is all occuring nowadays. I have 9 month old and have many many years to go.

I recieved my permit and passed the road test when I was 16. It turned to a full fledged license when I as 17 after I had passed Driver's ed in the summer between my junior and senior year.
It's pretty much the same.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycelover View Post
Whether the OP was driving the car does not matter, the fine still must be paid unless you have a mitigating excuse; since it is a red-light camera violation, this is not considered a moving violation and does not impact your license in terms of deductions of your points. The notice of violation which is sent to the registered owner's address, will be supported with two photos - one of the vehicle just before entering the intersection showing a steady red light and a second photo showing the vehicle making the turn against the steady red light. Your license plate will also be clearly shown in the notice of violation.

Two months ago, I was caught running a red light in Queens; I submitted a letter explaining that I had no choice but to enter the intersection because there was a fire truck about 50 yards behind me that had its lights and sirens blaring. I'm still waiting to hear back from Traffic Violation Bureau.
Well that really sucks. Hopefully they'll show mercy on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island