Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:26 PM

192 posts, read 354,823 times

Advertisements

Honestly I think it might not be as much an attitude of entitlement as it is that a lot of people just don't "get" money. It had never occurred to me to take out a loan for home improvements until a friend told me she was taking out a loan to remodel her bathroom. This same friend has been driving around in a BMW for years, but only recently got health insurance. Another friend lives paycheck to paycheck, but she and her husband both drive luxury cars and took out an FHA mortgage for their house. She actually makes fun of people who put a substantial amount of cash down for their house. My husband and I make far less than her and her husband, but we live much more comfortably. We still go on vacation, we still buy nice clothes, we still go out to dinner and hang out in the city, but we recognize that just because we make X dollars doesn't mean we should spend X dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 04:14 PM

204 posts, read 296,844 times
Jamaican style... Buy supplies and materials little by little. When you have everything you need then you do your renovations. @&$! a loan for unnecessary luxuries.

“Buy what thou hast no Need of and ere long thou shalt sell thy Necessaries.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-20-2013, 10:40 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
1. Neither would I. I am still kicking myself for the completely moronic move I made buying a condo w/ less than 20% down and now PMI will never come off until the year 2026. Regret is not even the right word for it.

2. No, you are not in the minority but unfortunately I am noticing that it seems the homeowners who did take a financial risk by buying homes w/ less than 20% and boderline "barely approved for the loan amount" folks have no compunction about justifying their ill-made decision to strangers online. Just read another LI message board where a couple dipped into their 401K accounts to put down LESS than 20% on a home. The cincher is a chunk of those funds taken from the 401K account are sitting in a bank account now earning little to no interest! And they get defensive when told flat out "you're an idiot for even doing this". Some people just don't like to be told how their financial decisions come from a place of complete stupidity.
So you're saying you know for a fact that this is a stupid investment for a couple of strangers on a message board? That's quite presumptuous, don't you think? Especially considering your condo blunder and your ignoring the ole location, location, location motto.

To OP: Do what makes you happy, and do it at your own pace. Do not fall into the Jones's mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island