Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:06 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
So then colleges should ban classes that have 50, 75 and more students in a single classroom?
Yeah, because elementary school kids and college kids have the same needs.

Check your instruction manual on creating a logical argument, "useasdirected".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 11:13 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,111 times
Only on long island is the so called pines not a tree lol

Old 01-30-2014, 12:47 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
So then colleges should ban classes that have 50, 75 and more students in a single classroom?
On top of what dman said, have a horse in our race, then you'll understand. We have 20+ kids in our Kindergarten classes now and if you ever watch how it works in there, it's already a mad-house even when they are being "good kids". Individual attention is already tough. I don't know about you but we pay to be here because of the quality of education. If they approve additional housing allowing for 300+ more kids to enter the district like they're talking about here, that will certainly affect how many are in the classrooms and subsequently how much individual attention the kids get.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:10 PM

5 posts, read 11,734 times
Lots of school districts have 20+ kids in a kindergarten class. Denying these children and education that they are entitled to is a disgrace. Period.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
On top of what dman said, have a horse in our race, then you'll understand. We have 20+ kids in our Kindergarten classes now and if you ever watch how it works in there, it's already a mad-house even when they are being "good kids". Individual attention is already tough. I don't know about you but we pay to be here because of the quality of education. If they approve additional housing allowing for 300+ more kids to enter the district like they're talking about here, that will certainly affect how many are in the classrooms and subsequently how much individual attention the kids get.
My kids kindergarten class had one problem child..came in halfway through the year, single mom, living in a rental on the main road, all the usual boxes. We held our breaths when he first started, before long we had to talk to the teacher because the kid was trying to bully everyone, including my son, who was not raised to respond violently. Apparently that type of behavior was pretty much all this kid understood. Eventually the boys all ganged up on him and put the problem kid in his place, but not after a lot of nights having to convince my kid that he wouldn't get pushed around the next day.

You have a much better chance of having kids like this introduced into your school from a homeless shelter than having a would be Salutatorian like the girl in Brentwood. That's just the cold hard reality. I'm talking about elementary school. The problems in Middle and High school are far worse.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:13 PM

863 posts, read 2,107,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Ok I agree with your point. I originally started this because everyone was up in arms about 12 kids. So I have to ask then does anyone know about the finances. I know I am trying to be logical here so just give me a moment people. Why are options not being proposed or championed to require the state/hotel owner who ever pay for the influx of kids? If you're upset about having them there make people responsible for them being there pay their fair share? I think that may be more prudent than the oh you have a contusion on your leg let's amputate it attitude.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:14 PM

Oh guys and if you don't like the decisions being made by your elected officials, there is this thing called vote them out.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Oh guys and if you don't like the decisions being made by your elected officials, there is this thing called vote them out.
True, but we're talking about school boards here, not county or state reps. It's pretty much a popularity contest amongst the PTA contingent, but after this I'd think every person who lives in that area should be looking to vote out the guilty party, no doubt.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
My kids kindergarten class had one problem child..came in halfway through the year, single mom, living in a rental on the main road, all the usual boxes. We held our breaths when he first started, before long we had to talk to the teacher because the kid was trying to bully everyone, including my son, who was not raised to respond violently. Apparently that type of behavior was pretty much all this kid understood. Eventually the boys all ganged up on him and put the problem kid in his place, but not after a lot of nights having to convince my kid that he wouldn't get pushed around the next day.

You have a much better chance of having kids like this introduced into your school from a homeless shelter than having a would be Salutatorian like the girl in Brentwood. That's just the cold hard reality. I'm talking about elementary school. The problems in Middle and High school are far worse.
I am sorry your I started laughing after reading this. I can't stand it when people think kids like this is the norm from these places. I have encountered more spoiled brats, unwilling to share with other kids and would go psycho if taken off their meds on good old suburban Long Island than any place else.

Well alls well that ends well. Kid justice handled it so things are going great now. Dam people god forbid a single mother is trying to just mind her business and do what she needs or a kid is maybe a bit aggressive. Ah I miss the good old days too bad we grew up and became someone our kid selves would beat up every day.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:23 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Ok I agree with your point. I originally started this because everyone was up in arms about 12 kids. So I have to ask then does anyone know about the finances. I know I am trying to be logical here so just give me a moment people. Why are options not being proposed or championed to require the state/hotel owner who ever pay for the influx of kids? If you're upset about having them there make people responsible for them being there pay their fair share? I think that may be more prudent than the oh you have a contusion on your leg let's amputate it attitude.
Because they do not calculate school taxes on number of kids sent by a particular property.

Neighbor 1 who has no kids in school does not pay zero dollars school taxes just as Neighbor 2 who has 3 kids in school does not pay proportionately half of what Neighbor 3 who has 6 kids in school does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island