Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 02:58 PM

312 posts, read 516,051 times

Advertisements

OK. When I bought the house, the realtor mentioned sealing the walls in the basement.

Someone yesterday told me it is "urgent" to seal the walls before winter. He wanted to put dry lock on all of them. The house was built in the 1940s. I have no intent of finishing the basement at this time because I would rather keep remodeling the upstairs.... The basement is just a place for doing laundry.

I don't see water down there. Yes, when my mother visits she insists she smells mildew, but I don't notice any smell. One area of the basement wall is darker so maybe it is dampness.?... Of course the person who wanted to dry lock them went on and on about how it was dangerous to breathe or something or other in the basement.

I have done a search about dry lock on this forum and I googled it. I am more confused than ever..... Are you suppose to put dry lock on all the walls or is it like flushing money down the toilet (doesn't last, and also isn't meant to be used on all the walls).

Honestly, I never had an older home so I never heard of sealing a basement. Ok I guess I never had a basement in a house, so maybe that is the reason. Anyway, please tell me if I have to seal a basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 04:19 PM

186 posts, read 526,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
OK. When I bought the house, the realtor mentioned sealing the walls in the basement.

Someone yesterday told me it is "urgent" to seal the walls before winter. He wanted to put dry lock on all of them. The house was built in the 1940s. I have no intent of finishing the basement at this time because I would rather keep remodeling the upstairs.... The basement is just a place for doing laundry.

I don't see water down there. Yes, when my mother visits she insists she smells mildew, but I don't notice any smell. One area of the basement wall is darker so maybe it is dampness.?... Of course the person who wanted to dry lock them went on and on about how it was dangerous to breathe or something or other in the basement.

I have done a search about dry lock on this forum and I googled it. I am more confused than ever..... Are you suppose to put dry lock on all the walls or is it like flushing money down the toilet (doesn't last, and also isn't meant to be used on all the walls).

Honestly, I never had an older home so I never heard of sealing a basement. Ok I guess I never had a basement in a house, so maybe that is the reason. Anyway, please tell me if I have to seal a basement.

about ten or twelve years ago we got a week of solid rain. the rain damage was declared a disaster. my home was built in 1941 and I have a block basement. the ground got so wet the scratch slab spider cracked and water entered my basement through the cement floor. not a drop came through the walls. I had dry locked them a few years before the storm. they sell it in home depot and all you need is a big brush to paint it on. its not expensive and might take you a day to move stuff out of the way, wash the walls and paint on the dry lock. I moved everything to one side of my basement did it, then reversed the procedure. I'm not sure if I would bother with a poured foundation but if your block I'd recomend it.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:59 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Send a DM to kbinspections who posts on this forum. He may see your post and respond, but if not, send him a DM. He won't steer you wrong. Don't do anything till you hear from him. Realtors just love that stuff, though - my buyers' realtor was saying the same thing at the walk through when I sold my house "don't forget the Dry Lock" - I've heard not to seal your basement walls from the inside but we'll see what KB says....and I was zipping my lip when it came to my buyers

Old 09-22-2013, 06:38 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
If one wall is showing darkness, then there is seepage in the wall. For its low expense its worthwhile doing. I did indoors in white nearly 10 years ago and the walls look as pristine as the 1st year I used it. And with all the rain this year, I had none come through it (and my walls are cinderblocks). Just keep in mind that two coats need to go on and its usually 2-3 hours between coats.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Dry lock is great. But you cannot dry lock walls that have already been painted. So make sure the block is raw.

What else do you want to know about it?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:27 PM

OK Thanks. I will DM kbinspections

I just feel like some people come in the house to give me an estimate on one thing and they start finding a million other things that are "urgent".

Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
OK Thanks. I will DM kbinspections
Sent you a DM.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:43 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Dry Lok doesn't always work like they say. If the wall is even damp, the moisture build-up will prevent the paint from sticking and it will peel like crazy. I used EPS styrofoam to coat my walls then framed and filled the cavities with unfaced r9 fiberglass insulation. The best is spray-on foam, but it is pricey.

Whichever route you choose, if you smell mold and mildew in your basement, you should act soon.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:20 AM

90 posts, read 216,695 times
No expert but if the house has stood as is for 60 plus years, I doubt spreading some sealer on the interior basement walls is "urgent" for anyone other than the guy who wants to be paid to do it

Old 09-23-2013, 10:55 AM

I agree Viclom. That was my thought. Nobody has touched the walls, and now I have months to get something done. He wants $l,500 because the material is expensive. However, it doesn't sound that expensive from things I read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island