Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:47 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Yes it's true that Dix Hills has no shopping/main street/commercial areas...and many residents like it that way! It keeps Dix Hills nice & peaceful...and there is plenty of shopping/restaurants/etc in the nearby Melville/Huntington/Commack areas. The Walt Whitman mall is very close as well (less than a 10 min drive from most areas). DH also has plenty of parks, a pool, even an ice skating rink!!!
agreed. This is one of the qualities that made me consider buying there way back when. Anything you need is a close drive away, but the area itself is quiet and not congested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 01:52 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
A historic tidbit about how Dix Hills got its name:

On May 2, 1700, an Indian settler named Richard or Dick Pechagan purchased the land that was known locally as Dick's Hills. In later years, the spelling was changed from Dick's into Dix.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:05 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
the vast majority of homes in Dix Hills hear NOTHING from the LIE/NSP.
I had looked at many homes, some South of the LIE, but focused then North of the LIE. And at least a few of the homes I liked (and I had a decently high budget) you could hear it from your backyard which was an automatic no from me. If we generalize, Dix Hills is obviously much closer to the LIE and NS (some sections being sandwiched in b/w LIE and NS) than most other towns so a portion of the homes absolutely have highway noise in the backyards. Of course not all homes hear highway noise, but many more homes obviously than you will find in any town North of Dix Hills. However, this is a plus to some buyers, easy access to the highway. For me, I rather drive 12 mins to the highway than hear it from my yard.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,591 times
...First world problems

Old 09-23-2013, 03:35 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
See now I didn't purchase in Dix Hills b/c from many homes, you can hear the sound of the cars on the highway (Northern State or LIE). So I did rate it as a fairly noisy area in regards to this.
We have looked at dozens and dozens of houses over the past year- I can think of only a few where traffic noise was an issue. If someone is serious about buying in Dix Hills, you don't hear traffic from the VAST majority of houses there.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:41 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
agreed. This is one of the qualities that made me consider buying there way back when. Anything you need is a close drive away, but the area itself is quiet and not congested.
I find driving around Dix Hills to be an absolute pleasure- nice, wide, curving streets and even the thru streets in neighborhoods don't get that busy.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:17 AM

149 posts, read 317,480 times
I only live a few blocks from the LIE and I hear nothing, except maybe very late at night when you can hear a slight whish, but nothing that is distracting in any way. For me, proximity to the highway was a must, and once you are in the side streets they are wide, open, and empty - you have no idea a major artery is so close by. As a friend who visited for the first time once said "I've driven past this exit a million times on the LIE and never imagined this kind of neighborhood was right here." I used to live further away and I used to dread driving to Suffolk County, then having another 15-20 minutes to go. And, yes, the majority of residents want to keep it entirely residential. Stores are close enough to get to, but having them in the town would compromise the feel and openness of the area that we wanted. When we looked up in CSH (which by the way is gorgeous), I felt that driving past that old gas station on the corner of 25A and Goose Hill was a less nice entrance to the community (although, again, that was a short-lived feeling becausae once you got inside it was beautiful.) In terms of hospitals - no thanks - ambulances blaring by is not something I'd like. With the highway so close, you can get to Good Sam or North Shore LIJ in Syosset very quickly. It is not for everyone, but we felt it satisfied our desire for open space, lots of land, a place where kids could ride their bikes, but still not a trek to a way off the island.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 AM

149 posts, read 317,480 times
Also - Elke - I'd love your perspective on those new homes that went up right of Burr's Lane by Calumet Drive - I think it is called the Enclave. I know someone who bought in there and they paid quite a bit over $1mm. I was a little surprised at what the houses were going for because people get squirmish about that section basically being the first street over the Wheatley Heights border. Do you think people are realizing that WH is a decent neighborhood after all?

Old 09-24-2013, 09:41 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
Also - Elke - I'd love your perspective on those new homes that went up right of Burr's Lane by Calumet Drive - I think it is called the Enclave. I know someone who bought in there and they paid quite a bit over $1mm. I was a little surprised at what the houses were going for because people get squirmish about that section basically being the first street over the Wheatley Heights border. Do you think people are realizing that WH is a decent neighborhood after all?
I happen to know the area; was actually trying to get someone interested in buying one of those homes; they started building them in 2011. It's the last street in the Town of Huntington in that area. Saw some of the houses go up. Calumet is a great street and the builder/developer did a nice job with those (large!!) houses.
Partly abutting the back of those new houses is Middlesex Drive (cul-de-sac), Town of Babylon, but still Dix Hills and not Wheatley Heights; that's a couple of blocks away.
Had a listing on Middlesex two years ago and had NO trouble selling it (multiple offers). Yes, some buyers were influenced by the proximity to Wheatley Heights.

Calumet Drive is a wide, winding street with large properties and homes and seems to make people forget how close WH is. The SD (HHH) adds to the appeal, as does the close proximity to the LIE. Closest LIRR station is Wyandanch.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:00 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,591 times
I don't see what's wrong with being close to Wheatley Hts. Wheatley Hts is a stable middle class area with very low crime. I can understand the concern of being close to wyandanch which does have issues but not Wheatley Hts.

In my opinion, the whole northern half of Wheatley Heights is MUCH nicer than the parts of Dix Hills off of Straight Path.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 09-24-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island