Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere (sorry, don't remember where) that they mail out the letters by county; and Suffolk County letters supposedly aren't going out until mid-October.

Sorry, I don't vouch for the accuracy of the above
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 10:41 AM

694 posts, read 1,202,733 times
Just want to add clarity here as there seems to be a lot of confusion. There are actually two registrations that you must completed:

1. Registration with the NY State which may be done online, however, you need to know your property's star code which should appear on the letter from the state, we got ours a few days ago.
2. You must also register with the Nassau County, this is a form that you have to fill in by pen and attach certain documents to it such as deed, drivers license.
3. It is recommended to complete both before year-end to afford processing rush.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:38 AM

344 posts, read 717,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
Just want to add clarity here as there seems to be a lot of confusion. There are actually two registrations that you must completed:

1. Registration with the NY State which may be done online, however, you need to know your property's star code which should appear on the letter from the state, we got ours a few days ago.
2. You must also register with the Nassau County, this is a form that you have to fill in by pen and attach certain documents to it such as deed, drivers license.
3. It is recommended to complete both before year-end to afford processing rush.
Only #1 needs to be done this year, if you already got #2 done and in for prior years... no?

Old 09-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
Only #1 needs to be done this year, if you already got #2 done and in for prior years... no?
Correct!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:09 PM

1,110 posts, read 671,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Basic Star registration forms going out next month to all homeowners. All have to re-register this year only because some people are ripping off the system with duplicate claims etc. Imagine that.
Enhanced Star (seniors) have to register every year.

What a mish mosh of make work for the State employees. Some people are ripping off the system so what do they do? Make everyone who owns a home and qualifies go and reprocess the paperwork (and there's no guarrantee that this will catch any of the offenders in this exercise). For God's sake go after the offenders with targeted data

I'm stinging a bit b/c have bought a new home I had just applied for STAR several months ago and now have to do it again.

If anyone knows which elected officials are responsible for:

- this conceptual approach
- the ad campaigns
- the cost of mailing every letter
- the extra staffing to man the phones
- and the additional work required to reprocess applications (with approved overtime I'm sure)

Please out them so that we can be sure to run them out of office at our very first opportunity.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:30 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
What a mish mosh of make work for the State employees. Some people are ripping off the system so what do they do? Make everyone who owns a home and qualifies go and reprocess the paperwork (and there's no guarrantee that this will catch any of the offenders in this exercise). For God's sake go after the offenders with targeted data
All of us are getting a unique code so double-dippers should be found out.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM

1,110 posts, read 671,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
All of us are getting a unique code so double-dippers should be found out.
Okay but really? They cant find out who the double dippers are w/o getting the entire state to reapply?

Old 09-26-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Okay but really? They cant find out who the double dippers are w/o getting the entire state to reapply?
This can serve a double purpose. After all, now there is also an income limit and the State has all the info readily available...

Old 09-26-2013, 07:24 PM

429 posts, read 852,763 times
Can anyone shed light on this for me? Our RE Attorney told us at closing (this past July) that we'd have the previous homeowner's Star Exemption through the end of this year, but that we need to apply for STAR for 2014.

I was confused this morning when I went to fill out the application online, because I couldn't find our STAR code. I now realize that there are two different places we have to apply - with Nassau AND with NYS (which seems dumb, but whatever). So, now it looks like we have to apply for the first time with Nassau and the woman over the phone told me we DON'T get the Seller's STAR exemption til the end of the year?

Why is this all so difficult?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:14 AM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times
Why does Nassau require a separate re-application? I haven't heard that we need to do this in Suffolk. But we do need to wait for the letter with the special code number. I had gotten an e-mail from Marcellino's office about this. So I guess people can call their state senators if they have any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island