U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:59 PM

543 posts, read 975,636 times

Advertisements

I have a small front yard and would like to have sod put down.

The landscape guy wants $1,200 to bring in top soil, do the chemicals and put down the sod.

The yard is approximately 450 square feet.

Is this a reasonable amount?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 PM

14,054 posts, read 21,121,712 times
Wow. I know I don't live in NY but we had a 4000 square foot lawn done for $3500.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:26 AM

903 posts, read 2,831,553 times
we had debated doing it a few years ago and remember sod being 3x the cost as having it cleared,topsoil put down and properly seeded. Since it was a big property we went to the seed and had a really nice lawn relatively quickly.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:56 AM

237 posts, read 1,639,656 times
I just had this done last week. I live on the South Shore and my front yard is about 700 sq ft. It cost me $990. I had a lot of other work done (brick, asphalt, plants, trees, etc.), so it's possible they cut me a break due to the amount of work we were having them do. Nonetheless, tearing out the old lawn, grading it, putting down top soil, chemicals, and sod came to $990 total. Let me know if you'd like their contact info.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:17 AM

863 posts, read 1,664,110 times
My suggestion would be to go with seeds because you have two periods to seed with the cool weather (most people reseed their lawns now and the spring) If you use the right fertilizer and good seeds (not scots it's mostly filler) Try Del Sol or Lesco you will have a great lawn for at most $300, however if money is no object to you (accepting donations) you can use these tools to figure out how much sod you need and have a more informed conversation with your landscaper

Sod Roll Calculator

Sod Calculator

Good luck let us know what you decided

Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 AM

8,001 posts, read 10,125,015 times
Seeds (don't go with Scotts as that's mostly filler - compare the labels) only partially worked for me and took nearly half a year to look like the rest of the lawn. Some didn't take at all (despite using a grass stitcher) and so I replaced about 300 sqft with sod myself. Laying it is extremely easy, but it was intensive labor with the soil prepping and ripping out the old lawn, with disposal. That's not to mention grabbing all the new sod myself too. Took me perhaps 20 man hours to do it.

The cost of sod is dirt cheap at a sod farm ($5 per roll of 2x5' - which is 10sqft). Most of your cost is labor. 450sqft = $225 sod cost. $1k remaining div 8 hours of collective work = $125/hr you're paying out.

As for the overall cost of the project, I'd say it's about average judging from what we had to pay when we first moved in here, but I'd just suggest you get more quotes from contractors from homeadvisor.com

After it's down, do not forget to keep the sod CONSTANTLY moist the first couple weeks while roots take. Now is a great time since it's not much heat. But get it done before the first frost.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-26-2013 at 09:49 AM..

Old 09-26-2013, 12:40 PM

166 posts, read 424,091 times
Had my front lawn killed, removed, top soil, and sod (estimating about 300sqft). We also had the curb grass seeded (1 ft x 30 ft), and a few spots in the back lawn seeded. There were three guys working on it. Half a days work. All in $600. This was end of August. Watered once a day for 2 weeks, and then occasionally after that. More so on the curb grass. Sod looks spactacular. Best on the block. Seeded area looks great but a few spots didn't grow in evenly.

All said and done, I don't think I got a great price. I would say fair, but the results are excellent. Had previous landscapers. Had cheaper rates, but things never seemed to come out right.

So it looks like $1200 seems high for 450sqft.

Last edited by jshlee; 09-26-2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old 09-26-2013, 03:43 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,348,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshlee View Post
Had my front lawn killed, removed, top soil, and sod (estimating about 300sqft). We also had the curb grass seeded (1 ft x 30 ft), and a few spots in the back lawn seeded. There were three guys working on it. Half a days work. All in $600. This was end of August. Watered once a day for 2 weeks, and then occasionally after that. More so on the curb grass. Sod looks spactacular. Best on the block. Seeded area looks great but a few spots didn't grow in evenly.

All said and done, I don't think I got a great price. I would say fair, but the results are excellent. Had previous landscapers. Had cheaper rates, but things never seemed to come out right.

So it looks like $1200 seems high for 450sqft.
Who did it, a landscaper? How does one find a good one?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:12 PM

166 posts, read 424,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Who did it, a landscaper? How does one find a good one?
Yes... landscaper. Port Washington, where I live, has a ton of them. I asked my wife to jot down numbers of landscapers she passes by during the day while I am at work. Figure they can't be that bad if the lawn looks good. First one didn't work out since he never gave much recommendations so the lawn looked like crap but the cheapest since I did the bare minimum with him. Did my own seeding. I sucked at it. Second one had great prices and great work and did alot of cost saving work for me for free but didn't do alot of things I needed which was a bummer for me since I liked him. Third one is what I am using now. Great prices for weekly but pushes to keep the lawn looking good.... which is what I wanted. Most may not like that. In the long term the cost will be cheaper while the lawn looking great. I knew already that my lawn needed major work so our communication was in sync.

There are many good landscapers. Find the ones that already do work nearby. Seeing is believing. They will give the best rates since someone already found them and usually its more economical for the landscaper to do more lawns in the same area. Doesn't hurt to compare a few.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:39 PM

543 posts, read 975,636 times
Called the landscaper that CuriousGeorge recommended - $775.00 -

Thanks George!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island