Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvey103 View Post
just finishing up my own bath remodel. gutted the old BR, used waste managments "bagster" which I don't recomend as a dumpster cost the same and theres no bs like a 4 day window for pick up, re rocked and cement boarded, was able to save the cast iron tub and plumbing but needed to straighten out the toilet flange. As you can see I'm waiting for the thinset to dry so I can grout, which should take less than 2 hours then the finnishing touches of vanity/sink, medicine cabinet and window moldings another day's work. All in all I spent less than $3,000 and I'm sure I wouldn't have paid less than $15,000 for someone else to do the job. If you have the time and half a brain you can do this yourself, just about every aspect of the job is explained on youtube. DIY sorry about the pictures but I can't stand on the floor yet as its wet.

Attachment 118793

Attachment 118795

Attachment 118796
Looks good. And you can watch the steaks on the grill while showering. Well played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Looks good. And you can watch the steaks on the grill while showering. Well played.
AHAHAHAHAA!!!! That's awesome. Maybe if he brings the grill a little closer he could actually tend to the meat while he's taking a shower.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:33 AM

186 posts, read 526,203 times
Default finished bath

finished the bath after eating those steaks. whole job cost $2866.00 including the bagster to remove the debri. Saving about $12,000.00 on this job allows me to afford those steaks. a bath like this easily prices out at 12-15k. Its only the second tile job i've ever done. Don't take much but a desire to do it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fin bat 2 (1).JPG
Views:	3258
Size:	836.4 KB
ID:	119340

Name:	fin bat 4 (1).JPG
Views:	2862
Size:	765.5 KB
ID:	119341

Name:	fin bat 2 (2).JPG
Views:	1602
Size:	769.9 KB
ID:	119342

Name:	fin bat 4 (2).JPG
Views:	2290
Size:	997.3 KB
ID:	119343

Old 10-12-2013, 07:41 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
^ nice, not bad at all. How long did it take start to finish? Saving money is a great feeling made even better when you know you did it yourself.

BTW, I just got through replacing 2 toilet wax rings with a sani-seal. Those wax rings failed after only 2 years and flushed water would occasionally get tossed around underneath (a good reason not to grout around the toilet so you know when it happens). These sani-seals are supposed to be "lifetime" and costs just a few bucks more. Did you go with conventional wax?

Last edited by ovi8; 10-12-2013 at 07:50 AM..

Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garvey103 View Post
finished the bath after eating those steaks. whole job cost $2866.00 including the bagster to remove the debri. Saving about $12,000.00 on this job allows me to afford those steaks. a bath like this easily prices out at 12-15k. Its only the second tile job i've ever done. Don't take much but a desire to do it.

Attachment 119340

Attachment 119341

Attachment 119342

Attachment 119343
Not bad for a Home Depot special. How many hours do you estimate the project took?

Old 10-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ nice, not bad at all. How long did it take start to finish? Saving money is a great feeling made even better when you know you did it yourself.

BTW, I just got through replacing 2 toilet wax rings with a sani-seal. Those wax rings failed after only 2 years and flushed water would occasionally get tossed around underneath (a good reason not to grout around the toilet so you know when it happens). These sani-seals are supposed to be "lifetime" and costs just a few bucks more. Did you go with conventional wax?

always used wax. only had one fail after my son augered the toilet. the new can is an american standard champion. impossible to clog. you should get a long time out of the wax. havn't seen the sani ring but will look for it.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Not bad for a Home Depot special. How many hours do you estimate the project took?

Thanks I worked alone from start to finish. complete demo, re did the waste lines to move the toilet flange. the water lines were all good, and I saved the tub. I didn't rush and ran into no problems. It took me two weeks. mostly waiting for the joint compound and then thin set to dry because the weather got cool. I've done a few in 3 days but with another guy working with me who knew what he was doing and not so much tile design. yup Home depot and Loews.. didn't need to go anywhere else. I've shopped tile before and am amazed how one store will sell a tile for say $2.00 a square foot while another will have the same tile for $7.00 you really have to look around and remember none of the clerks selling you the material really care about what your doing. most of them including 99.9% of home depot and loews employees have never done any type of construction work. I always get a good laugh at some poor slob in home depot having a project explained to them by a home depot person who hasn't a clue what their talking about.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
Alure worked with us for three hours on coordinating choices for a master bath that was nearly a direct replacement and the estimated cost would have been $32-$35K. And this was for labor and mid-range tiles and fixtures, i.e. no marble or German faucets. We decided to pass.

We found an independent contractor who is gutting and installing the master bath, installing an all-new kitchen and doing scads of other electrical and plumbing work, and moldings in other parts of the house, for $35K. That includes labor and basic materials, but we have to buy everything else. That's been fine because, for the bathroom, we have been going online to buy fixtures and the savings are substantial. We have also found some good local deals on tile. Just as an example, our kitchen cabinet company wanted to charge us $3500 for an extra-long bathroom vanity. I found one just as good online for $1499 and had it shipped free from California.

With all of this said, I have been astounded at the cost of things for the renovation, even though we are getting relative deals. The dollars really add up quickly. One alternative you might consider is doing a light refurbishing on the bath. My nephew did this by getting a new pre-cut granite top and faucet for his vanity (at Home Depot, I think) and repainting the vanity with one of the Rustoleum products (which everyone raves about). He even took a chance and painted the bathroom floor with Rustoleum bathroom wall tile paint and it is holding up surprisingly well. The bathroom looks like it was actually remodeled.

Good luck with the project.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,154,094 times
You guys are forgetting 2 things...1) we are still recovering from a major hurricane on the south shore and 2) we are climbing out of a recession. Residential construction(and commercial in nyc) is booming. And that is a major reason prices are high right now. Everyone is working.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:07 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times
Relevant: Ron Swanson - Why He Doesn't Hire Contractors - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island