Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 04:58 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
No, this is Long Island, not NYC. If you're only making $10/hour, it's time for you to get a skill, an education, or a second job.

I moved out here from NYC. Never heard of an "illegal apartment". I couldn't give less than a rat's turd if you believe me or not. And, no, I didn't report him because it was my "civic duty", I reported him because he was a scumbag, as was his wife and 2 stepchildren. And before you make any more ASSumptions, my rent was paid in full before I moved. The scummy prick was suing me for failure to give him 30 days' notice on his illegal apartment.

The dumb look on their faces in court was PRICELESS when the judge basically told them to go scratch and kicked them out of court!!
If the cap doesnt fit you........

Too many times i've seen posts on here where out of the blue the people pop up and the first thing they say is they didn't know the apartment was illegal. Now Im not picking up for any landlord as many of them are terrible, but I cant find myself playing the kids game, where you hit me, im going to hit you back.

Illegal apartments are necessity in NYC/LI. It cannot go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 09:34 AM

157 posts, read 285,119 times
Quote:
Oh, and I'm always puzzled at these slumlords who think it's OK to cut their one family house into 2 or 3 or even 4 separate apartments and then demand top dollar rent and be dirtbags about everything.
But oddly you have no problems moving into one of these setups. Why don't you man up and get a real job so you can buy in LI rather than moving from illegal aprartment to illegal apartment like a gypsy and then calling the county, cops, and IRS etc. when moving out like a bitter girlfriend?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,107 times
Living in an illegal apartment for 10 years and not knowing? No chance. If you don't get a gas or electric bill in the mail every month, excellent chance your apartment is illegal.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:18 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shera11375 View Post
But oddly you have no problems moving into one of these setups. Why don't you man up and get a real job so you can buy in LI rather than moving from illegal aprartment to illegal apartment like a gypsy and then calling the county, cops, and IRS etc. when moving out like a bitter girlfriend?

But oddly enough, it was ONCE and that was when I first moved here. The apartment I am currently in is 100% legal.

Gypsy? I don't think so you imbecile.

Calling the cops because someone is constantly vandalizing my vehicle? Is there a problem with that?? I'm sure YOU would let it slide and just pay all the damage out of your own pocket and do nothing about it, even though you know who is doing the damage

Yes, I called the TOWN (not the county) on the scumbag. He deserved it. We were rent paying tenants and our rent was paid every month. He thought he was some kind of big shot "businessman" and treated us like dirt (he bought the house 7 years or so into our tenancy; we were there long before him). He kept reminding us that it was HIS house and he could do whatever he wanted. Well, the town disagreed and he had to pay thousands in fines. I'm sure the IRS and NYS charged him a lot as well.

Like I said, he got what his hand called for.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Living in an illegal apartment for 10 years and not knowing? No chance. If you don't get a gas or electric bill in the mail every month, excellent chance your apartment is illegal.
As I said, I had never in my life ever heard of an "illegal apartment". How would I know??? Would this knowledge just fall out of the sky???? What about the gas/electric bill???? The apartment building I lived in in hte city INCLUDED the electric (there was no gas), so does that make the building illegal?? No.

Don't ASSume that everyone knows what an "illegal apartment" is because they don't.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:34 PM

909 posts, read 1,837,107 times
Quote:
As I said, I had never in my life ever heard of an "illegal apartment". How would I know??? Would this knowledge just fall out of the sky???? What about the gas/electric bill???? The apartment building I lived in in hte city INCLUDED the electric (there was no gas), so does that make the building illegal?? No.

Don't ASSume that everyone knows what an "illegal apartment" is because they don't.
I find it hard to believe that an adult who grew up in NY, especially NYC the originator of the illegal apt, has never heard of an illegal apartment. There is a big difference between living in a building as opposed to a single family, two family or even a rare three family home. It is common knowledge, even for a young adult, that grew up in metro NY, that living in a basement is illegal. I ASSume you must have lived a very sheltered life if you truly didn't grasp this concept for 10 years.

NY needs illegal apartments. There is not enough affordable housing and these apartments fill a need for many people starting out and immigrants saving for something better.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:08 PM

Yep. Keep ASSuming......

Old 10-05-2013, 12:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
No, this is Long Island, not NYC. If you're only making $10/hour, it's time for you to get a skill, an education, or a second job.

I moved out here from NYC. Never heard of an "illegal apartment". I couldn't give less than a rat's turd if you believe me or not. And, no, I didn't report him because it was my "civic duty", I reported him because he was a scumbag, as was his wife and 2 stepchildren. And before you make any more ASSumptions, my rent was paid in full before I moved. The scummy prick was suing me for failure to give him 30 days' notice on his illegal apartment.

The dumb look on their faces in court was PRICELESS when the judge basically told them to go scratch and kicked them out of court!!
I love this post!!! LMFAO!! I tried to rep you but I cannot rep you again yet! ROFLMAO!

Old 10-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
I find it hard to believe that an adult who grew up in NY, especially NYC the originator of the illegal apt, has never heard of an illegal apartment. There is a big difference between living in a building as opposed to a single family, two family or even a rare three family home. It is common knowledge, even for a young adult, that grew up in metro NY, that living in a basement is illegal. I ASSume you must have lived a very sheltered life if you truly didn't grasp this concept for 10 years.

NY needs illegal apartments. There is not enough affordable housing and these apartments fill a need for many people starting out and immigrants saving for something better.
NY needs more legal apartments.

I'm sick of paying more than my fair share of taxes for illegal landlords that don't.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
Im always puzzled when I see a post where a member states that they didn't know the apartment is/was illegal.

Are tenants renting apartments with the intention of not paying their rent because they want free living?

As a honest person, if I care so much if this apartment is illegal or not, isn't it my duty to find that out BEFORE I sign the lease?
Tenants who are like that (aka "professional tenants") actually don't care if the apartment they do this in is legal or illegal. They pull the same non-payment tricks on either type of landlord and move on to the next. Despicable people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island