Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:21 AM

50 posts, read 127,780 times

Advertisements

I have a small interior design business. A very well known architect wants to talk to me about working with him "as needed". Obviously in my own business I do all the work and get all the profits. Since he is the one bringing in the client,(which is very valuable), and I am the "consultant", not sure how to structure deal. Do I offer him a flat fee, based on # hrs estimated for (individual) job presentation as I do for clients? (lately I have waived that fee if I am going to be doing the purchasing). If I am involved with the ordering and installations,(which I think he will need) shouldn't I be involved with the profits or should that be a lesser fee per hour? I'm not looking to go back to being a salaried employee, and I don't think he is looking for a partner..........what's in between that makes us both happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 07:38 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,046,109 times
What does this have to do with Long Island?

Old 10-04-2013, 07:40 AM

50 posts, read 127,780 times
The business is on Long Island, was confused where to start thread.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:00 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,305,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarpenter View Post
The business is on Long Island, was confused where to start thread.
Since LI has a particular business culture I think it's appropriate to post this question here.

I'm unsure why your participation on a project would be through the architect and not directly with the architect's client, through the architect having referred you to the client.

The only scenario I can imagine that would have the client pay the architect for interior design services, and not you directly, would be if the architect included those services in his original bid or as an add-on he and the client later agreed.

For all you know, the client is paying the architect more than what the architect would be paying you.

If I were you, I'd want the architect to introduce me to the client so my contract would be with the architect's client and not the architect. Otherwise, you'll end up being a sub-contracted, "ghost designer" and you'd be spending time improving the architect's reputation, not your own, on those particular jobs.

[Edit: Thanks, mongoose65. Don't worry about it...you have plenty of excellent posts under you belt. I've been in the OPs situation plenty of times over the past 15yrs so I have personal experience.]

Last edited by James1202; 10-04-2013 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: mon'65 & msspl

Old 10-04-2013, 08:02 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,978,292 times
Aren't there any forums specifically by/for interior design professionals? I don't mean it disrespectfully but I bet that's a great topic for discussion there and you'll probably find you're not the first with that problem. Seems the return on your time will be better googling there than posting on here.

On a broader scale, if you are a consultant I don't see how that makes you an employee. Charge what you think is fair and factor in the exposure you'll get to so many of this "well known architects" client base. That could be invaluable on word of mouth alone. I'd say charge with the structure you use now but consider it commercial/wholesale business with added benefits as opposed to retail where you handle everything soup to nuts including FINDING clients which I'd guess is the hardest part of any small business and most important to growth. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:03 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,978,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Since LI has a particular business culture I think it's appropriate to post this question here.

I'm unsure why your partiipation on a project would be through the architect and not directly with the architect's client, through the architect having referred you to the client.

The only scenario I can imagine that would have the client pay the architect for interior design services, and not you directly, would be if the architect included those services in his original bid or as an add-on he and the client later agreed.

For all you know, the client is paying the architect more than what the architect would be paying you.

If I were you, I'd want the architect to introduce me to the client so my contract would be with the architect's client and not the architect. Otherwise, you'll end up being a sub-contracted, "ghost designer" and you'd be spending time improving the architect's reputation, not your own, on those particular jobs.
Great post. Way better than my generic answer!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:17 AM

730 posts, read 1,646,439 times
If you were the architect, would you want your client to deal directly with someone you brought to the table or would you prefer to be the main contact and have your designer "appear" to be part of the team?

The architect will be charging the client for your services at a premium to what he pays you (the designer). This will also entice him to bring you to more clients.

Charge a fair and reasonable rate, knowing that the architect will be marking up your rate to the client. Also, bear in mind how much potential business you could potentially receive.

The architect is not looking for a partner.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
If you were the architect, would you want your client to deal directly with someone you brought to the table or would you prefer to be the main contact and have your designer "appear" to be part of the team?

The architect will be charging the client for your services at a premium to what he pays you (the designer). This will also entice him to bring you to more clients.

Charge a fair and reasonable rate, knowing that the architect will be marking up your rate to the client. Also, bear in mind how much potential business you could potentially receive.

If I were a fair and honest architect I would make the referral.

Interior design is an option not required for the architect to do his job. If we were talking about surveys, engineering specs, etc., that the architect required in the normal course of performing his job, then he would sub-contract those services and not involve the client in those dealings.

"The architect will be charging the client for your services at a premium to what he pays you (the designer). This will also entice him to bring you to more clients."

In a fair business climate the above would not be done. It is not professional for an architect to take a kickback "premium". Architects and Interior Designers are two professions licensed by the State of NY and, therefore, each should respect the other *and the client* to not engage in a manner that isn't completely fair and honest and transparent to all parties involved.

"This will also entice him to bring you to more clients."
This isn't happening unless the OP has a contract directly with the client. Like you said, the OP will appear to be nothing more than "appear" to be part of the architects "team".

"Charge a fair and reasonable rate, knowing that the architect will be marking up your rate to the client."
Wouldn't this mean the client is being charged a rate *higher* than what's fair and reasonable? This is what I meant when I said LI has a particular business culture and, to keep the OP from being abused or an abuser, a particular Code of Ethics needs to be followed.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post

I'm unsure why your participation on a project would be through the architect and not directly with the architect's client, through the architect having referred you to the client.

[Edit: Thanks, mongoose65. Don't worry about it...you have plenty of excellent posts under you belt. I've been in the OPs situation plenty of times over the past 15yrs so I have personal experience.]
I've been a bit chatty on this thread so, to explain to the OP....

1) As a writer, I meandered into ghost-writing which eventually took up nearly all my time. I didn't mind not getting credit for my work because it paid so well. Now, 15yrs later, I have next to nothing to show for that part of my career and not much proof of what I'm capable (my "best" work is constrained by confidentiality agreements)

2) My involvement in the residential housing market is such that I could be the contractor, the sub-contractor, or the client (and sometimes all three at various stages of a project) and I can often, immediately tell how my relationship with someone is going to go depending on the terms that are put on the table and how they handle the situation. I always push for 'trust but verify' and 'a trustworthy person not only *never* has a problem with putting the details in writing but are eager to do so'.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:29 AM

909 posts, read 1,829,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post

I believe this post is spot on. If OP is interested in working with the architect he will have to abide by the architects way of doing business. If you think the architect is just looking to help out his clients and not be rewarded financially, very extremely unlikely. Most likely the architect will set the parameters and if the OP is willing to play ball he will get the account. If not I am sure the architect will go elsewhere to find someone who will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island