Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 03:47 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,950,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Nice try.
Now you are seeing double - I think you may have finally lost it.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:50 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,950,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Wow, your wife and Quick's dad are the teacher's of the century. Or else they are just slow graders. Who knows?
Why not use your superhuman skills and intellect and invent some sort of 'fast grading machine'? Don't tell me, you already have and the union squashed it to save union jobs?
Actually someone on this thread already predicted you would claim to grade 1000 tests an hour.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 10-08-2013 at 04:20 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 04:12 PM

8,678 posts, read 11,067,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i can understand that teachers want to be compensatated for having a masters. but they have to remember they also work 1/2 the amount of time the rest of the working world does.
Pay Raises for Teachers With Master's Under Fire - WSJ.com

now some have made studies how a master degree doesn't equate to better student.

My sister (who I consider pretty smart) is a nyc teacher.....she told me herself that grad school in Columbia was a cinch....much easier than undergrad....of course that is her experience which maybe different that others

She has told me once you get the lesson plan ironed out the 1st year..the next few years are a breeze. Whatever pay it is, I still believe teaching is a labor of love. Its hard to like almost any job just for pay.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:23 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
a masters doesn't mean a better teacher but in most areas of education it is a requirement .

Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyziggy View Post
It doesn't matter what the breakdown is. There is no point in justifying. The truth is that total property taxes are high. If it is too high for you, then move.
I especially like how you didn't respond to his other points in that post which have been repeated numerous times - and you said you read the whole thread.

WE pay their salaries so it's not as plain as "jealousy" when WE speak up about it. Why is this so difficult to grasp?

Old 10-08-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The same reason NYC cops are capable of performing their jobs at a fraction of LI cop salaries ...

because ...

NYC cops and NYC teachers have WEAKER unions than LI cops and teachers: the STRONGER the unions; the HIGHER the COMPENSATION. This is true.
Is this really true? I always had the impression nyc has a stronger union over LI teacher's union.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:20 PM

40 posts, read 43,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I especially like how you didn't respond to his other points in that post which have been repeated numerous times - and you said you read the whole thread.

WE pay their salaries so it's not as plain as "jealousy" when WE speak up about it. Why is this so difficult to grasp?
You also pay for health insurance which is going up astronomically every year. Does that also mean the health insurance company workers, big pharma, millionaire doctors, and $90k+ allied health workers should also take a pay cut?

Automobile insurance is expensive on Long Island. Maybe the auto insurance industry workers should get a pay cut.

Utilities are amongst the highest in the nation on Long Island. Seems like the utilities company workers should take a pay cut.

Gas prices have tripled over the years. Looks the oil industry is making too much and should get a pay cut too.

Most of us own smart phones these days and won't give them up, but the data plan has become more expensive. Seems like the phone company workers are making too much should take a pay a cut.

I need a new computer but it's become too expensive, therefore I conclude that the IT industry workers make too much and should take a pay cut.

I want to go to the Giants game but the tickets have become too expensive, that means the professional athletes should take a pay cut.

We've heard the argument "the cost of this has risen drastically and become too high so I concluded that [insert teacher, cop, firefighter, other government worker, doctor, nurse, software engineer, CEO, etc.] is ripping me and everyone else off, making too much, and since I pay their salary it should be less. We get it, you're angry. Fair enough?

Old 10-08-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Duckie View Post
You also pay for health insurance which is going up astronomically every year. Does that also mean the health insurance company workers, big pharma, millionaire doctors, and $90k+ allied health workers should also take a pay cut?

Automobile insurance is expensive on Long Island. Maybe the auto insurance industry workers should get a pay cut.

Utilities are amongst the highest in the nation on Long Island. Seems like the utilities company workers should take a pay cut.

Gas prices have tripled over the years. Looks the oil industry is making too much and should get a pay cut too.

Most of us own smart phones these days and won't give them up, but the data plan has become more expensive. Seems like the phone company workers are making too much should take a pay a cut.

I need a new computer but it's become too expensive, therefore I conclude that the IT industry workers make too much and should take a pay cut.

I want to go to the Giants game but the tickets have become too expensive, that means the professional athletes should take a pay cut.

We've heard the argument "the cost of this has risen drastically and become too high so I concluded that [insert teacher, cop, firefighter, other government worker, doctor, nurse, software engineer, CEO, etc.] is ripping me and everyone else off, making too much, and since I pay their salary it should be less. We get it, you're angry. Fair enough?
your logic doesn't make sense.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
That is one way to look at it. The problem is there are 10s of thousands that would love the jobs but, they aren't able to get it due to the high demand and lack of connection. Why should the LI teacher and cop get paid substantially more than the NYC teacher and cop?
Absolutely no reason.

Especially when you look at every single OTHER PROFESSION and they get paid substantially more in NYC.

Unions screwing the taxpayers more efficiently on LI is the only reason. Sad but true.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Crazy talk. Do the teachers fortunate enough to transfer from NYC/private schools suddenly become great teachers when they are hired on LI?
I guess the LI taxpayers pay for brain transplants to turn them into desirables all of a sudden?? LMAO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island