U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:42 PM

489 posts, read 596,507 times

Advertisements

does anyone have an idea how much a basic funeral will cost; including casket, service at funeral home (no wake) and transportation. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 04:58 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,825,308 times
Friend of mine just paid for his grandmothers funeral. She was cremated, with an inexpensive casket, no wake....about $8000+.

Aint cheap to die.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:09 AM

thanks for the reply.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:19 AM

552 posts, read 743,378 times
Read about a quarter way down on this page to get an insider's look at how the funeral industry operates: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...cret_about_an/

Old 10-11-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
Read about a quarter way down on this page to get an insider's look at how the funeral industry operates: What is a "dirty little (or big) secret" about an industry that you have worked in, that people outside the industry really ought to know? : AskReddit

wow--that was eye opening. thanks.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:56 AM

886 posts, read 2,155,073 times
Last month a friend of mine buried his dad. West Islip funeral parlor with a mid-level casket, two night showing and a burial in St Charles Cemetary. $18,000.
I told my wife to have me toasted and toss my ashes into the compost pile.That two nights of body watching for an 85 yr old man is ridiculous.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:24 AM

3,114 posts, read 8,495,148 times
$10,000-$14000......

Old 10-11-2013, 06:41 AM

4,536 posts, read 9,862,877 times
I agree 100%. My old man doesn't want everyone standing over him when he dies. Not sure on how true but I hear we are one of the few countries that come a stare at dead bodies. Kinda weird if you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Last month a friend of mine buried his dad. West Islip funeral parlor with a mid-level casket, two night showing and a burial in St Charles Cemetary. $18,000.
I told my wife to have me toasted and toss my ashes into the compost pile.That two nights of body watching for an 85 yr old man is ridiculous.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:14 AM

716 posts, read 964,099 times
For my mom's funeral about 3 years ago, it cost $7000-$8000. My mom had cancer so she prepared for my sister and myself. My mom had gone to the funeral home, Towers Funeral Home in Oceanside, the year before she passed and planned everything, so we didn't have to do anything when the time came. She didn't pay at the time, but they held onto her plans. She had also taken out a life insurance policy specifically for funeral costs. Towers were very respectful to us and took care of contacting the life insurance company on their end. When we also needed an urn, which would normally cost $35, they gave us two for free.

We had a one day viewing, a less expensive casket because she wanted to be cremated, prayer cards, etc. We had a friend of our mom, who works in a church, had someone from the church come for free to read a prayer at the funeral home.

This cost of the funeral doesn't include a headstone, which our uncle's co-workers helped with. That cost about $800 dollars. My other uncle and aunt helped us secure a plot, which I want to say was $150.

We also had donations from the people who attended the funeral, when they gave prayer cards. We received about $1000-1100 dollars. I'm not sure if that is customary or if people felt bad for us because we were young when we lost her.

Sorry for the long post, sadly I know too much about funeral expenses.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:33 AM

7,846 posts, read 10,251,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
For my mom's funeral about 3 years ago, it cost $7000-$8000. My mom had cancer so she prepared for my sister and myself. My mom had gone to the funeral home, Towers Funeral Home in Oceanside, the year before she passed and planned everything, so we didn't have to do anything when the time came. She didn't pay at the time, but they held onto her plans. She had also taken out a life insurance policy specifically for funeral costs. Towers were very respectful to us and took care of contacting the life insurance company on their end. When we also needed an urn, which would normally cost $35, they gave us two for free.

We had a one day viewing, a less expensive casket because she wanted to be cremated, prayer cards, etc. We had a friend of our mom, who works in a church, had someone from the church come for free to read a prayer at the funeral home.

This cost of the funeral doesn't include a headstone, which our uncle's co-workers helped with. That cost about $800 dollars. My other uncle and aunt helped us secure a plot, which I want to say was $150.

We also had donations from the people who attended the funeral, when they gave prayer cards. We received about $1000-1100 dollars. I'm not sure if that is customary or if people felt bad for us because we were young when we lost her.

Sorry for the long post, sadly I know too much about funeral expenses.
Sorry for your loss okellies

My mom passed away last year. My parents had already purchased their plots at St. Charles but I remember the cost of the funeral itself was just under $10,000, which included the casket (med price is about $4000 whether it's wood or metal), transporting my mom from the hospital to the funeral home, embalming, paperwork (filing death certificates), 2 day viewing at the funeral home, unlimited boxes of thank you cards and prayer cards, funeral car and 2 limos, church mass and I believe the cost to open the vault at the cemetary was about $1200.

My dad received money from family also. He was a little confused with what to do with the money. Fortunately he was able to pay for everything with no problem. We told him to just use the money towards whatever out of pocket bills he'll get from the hospital.

In-ground graves are more expensive. It cost more to open a grave site then add the large expense of a tombstone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or