Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 10:53 AM

413 posts, read 598,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I am one block over the N. Wantagh border and I don't see a bad element at all. Levittown is packed with young families with nice amenities for those families.

Aha! There it is! You gave yourself away! I am also an uppity snob-ola in the S section or "almost Wantagh" as we call it! Perspective is funny. We were on vacation once and met an old ex-pat Levittowner and he literally sneered at us that we live in the "ritzy S" section as though we were in the Southampton part of Levittown! I always joke to my friends north of the Mason Dixon line (aka Hempstead Turnpike) to bring some decent beer to my BBQ, not that Keystone light! Try to have some class when you come to the south side! It's all pretty silly. Levittown is a steal if you can deal with the potential no basement, no garage, no attic, glorious shed issue. If I had to do it again I'd go for the Hicksville/Levitt border and get more house with less tax. Schools might be a thing but really, we're from Brooklyn. The schools here are all good to me (except for the salaries and gutting of programs to pay pensions but that's for another thread or two or seven).
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorperson View Post
while some of their children have gone on to a better life, some of their children have stayed and lower the area's reputation. The best and brightest leave, what remains is what Levittown is know for.
No, this is actually what ALL of Long Island has become known for.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:43 AM

145 posts, read 227,108 times
I do think Levittown is a transient sort of place. Maybe that's why I find the neighbors keep to themselves and aren't as friendly compared to areas I lived in in Queens and Smithtown (where I spent the majority of my childhood). Maybe it's because families trade up once their kids get older. That's the plan for us. Once we have 2 kids, I don't know how we're going to have enough room in here with no basement, garage, and 1 bathroom.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,269 times
Historically, Levittown was very bad. When my parents were selling their house, a guy from a real ghetto part of Brooklyn asked the school district, he literally left as soon as they told him district 5-Levittown. It has allegedly much improved since then, but when I went it was trash. I do agree though, those of us motivated enough did get some pretty decent careers despite our k-12 experience.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:16 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Aha! There it is! You gave yourself away! I am also an uppity snob-ola in the S section or "almost Wantagh" as we call it! Perspective is funny. We were on vacation once and met an old ex-pat Levittowner and he literally sneered at us that we live in the "ritzy S" section as though we were in the Southampton part of Levittown! I always joke to my friends north of the Mason Dixon line (aka Hempstead Turnpike) to bring some decent beer to my BBQ, not that Keystone light! Try to have some class when you come to the south side! It's all pretty silly. Levittown is a steal if you can deal with the potential no basement, no garage, no attic, glorious shed issue. If I had to do it again I'd go for the Hicksville/Levitt border and get more house with less tax. Schools might be a thing but really, we're from Brooklyn. The schools here are all good to me (except for the salaries and gutting of programs to pay pensions but that's for another thread or two or seven).
I am not in the "S" section. I wasn't aware there was a difference on where you lived in the town. I just put it as a point of reference as to the section I can speak of. I am in the Island Trees S.D. Although being 1 block out of N. Wantagh to me doesn't really mean anything or any snobby step-up. N. Wantagh has Levitt homes and Levittown school district...it is relatively the same nice area I am familiar with. I am always asked where I live in town because the town is so large so I say it to give perspective not to mean it is better or worse than other sections.

I will admit that I don't love the area right around the flea market, but the rest of town seems just fine.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I am not in the "S" section. I wasn't aware there was a difference on where you lived in the town. I just put it as a point of reference as to the section I can speak of. I am in the Island Trees S.D. Although being 1 block out of N. Wantagh to me doesn't really mean anything or any snobby step-up. N. Wantagh has Levitt homes and Levittown school district...it is relatively the same nice area I am familiar with.

I will admit that I don't love the area right around the flea market, but the rest of town seems just fine.

I thought it was pretty clear I was joking. Oh well.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover84 View Post
I do think Levittown is a transient sort of place. Maybe that's why I find the neighbors keep to themselves and aren't as friendly compared to areas I lived in in Queens and Smithtown (where I spent the majority of my childhood). Maybe it's because families trade up once their kids get older. That's the plan for us. Once we have 2 kids, I don't know how we're going to have enough room in here with no basement, garage, and 1 bathroom.
It's funny reading the basement/garage part so often on these boards. My aunts family in Merrick never had a basement, raised 3 kids and actually survived. We haven't had a basement in any home we own (I'm on my 3rd) and currently don't have a garage. You really do survive and we raised our family on 1.5 bathrooms. I do understand where you are coming from though, I don't think we could have raised 2 kids in a 900sqft ranch so we moved but our neighbors raised 3 kids in the same home.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective...

Old 04-07-2014, 01:52 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,163 times
I wanted to buy a Levitt house when I moved out to LI ten years ago. I was/am in love with the whole nostolgia of Levittown.
Levittown was built for a purpose, and it served it well. It provided housing for returning veterans. Not much of a house, 750 sq ft in the original 1947 capes, basically a two bedroom stand alone apartment. They were rentals until '48 or '49

I'd rather have been in one of those as a young veteran that one of Moses' projects.

If I did buy one, I would have bought the later ranch style, and as much as I could made it look original. (Then my wife would have changed it when we got married)

Old 04-08-2014, 03:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,994 times
When I lived in NYC I had an apartment that was 200 square feet. Plenty fine as I was single. But my neighbor who was married with an infant and had a dog who worked from home also livedin a 200 square foot apt and that was insane!!!!!! He tied a line from my building to next building and put stuff in heavy garbage bags and tied them to line for storage!!! And left stuff on fire escape and in hallway.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:56 PM

37 posts, read 53,177 times
Sorry my view of Levittown does not make some people happy. Levittown was built with no basements, one story houses that people have put a lot of money into. It was a working class area from WWII to present. A lawyer in Levittown ? Maybe, how many doctors in original Levit houses ? Sorry folks, it is what it is. And drugs are a lot worst than you think.

BMW's and Corvettes never impressed me as being a smart buy. Paying off your mortgage and driving a Yaris is a smart move. Many areas in Brooklyn have Cadillacs up and down the block, doesn't make Bedford Styvasant or Flatbush a good place to live, but they are getting better in the last 20 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island