Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:06 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,710,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Its not a LI thing...its a society thing...or def a city like NY & metro/

the $3 incident was a anomaly. But she was really rude & I would have considering reporting her.

Customer service is pretty horrible in general. The whole tipping culture is out of hand as well. Its virtually blackmail bribery for them to do the absolute minimum these days.

I actually find the customer service to be much, much better in Manhattan than anywhere on Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 01:46 AM

4,171 posts, read 4,045,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
very true. So why take on even more risk by toughing the cashier's hand?

Are you the kind of person who always vindictively fills out customer service surveys over something so trivial?
The cultural (and common sense) practice in this country is to put change in people's hands. I had my hand open and she plops about seven coins on the counter and not in a friendly way. That's an insult like offering your hand for a handshake and have someone ignore it. Then, feelings aside, it takes time and effort to pick up coins from a flat surface so it delays customers behind me.

Stores want customer feedback which is why many have those surveys with monetary incentives to fill them out. It may be trivial to you but short of her spitting on me that was about the rudest she could have been to me. I rarely fill out those surveys so I don't always "vindictively" fill them out. Sometimes a friendly cashier asks me to give her the highest scores on the survey and I will then go out of my way to fill it out and do that. Filling out the survey for bad service is actually more important for the store so they can take corrective action.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:51 AM

886 posts, read 2,641,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I don't think the "thank you" would be for the 20 cents.... It would be for being a customer, making a purchase, and supporting their business. Is this lost on people?? Do you not realize it's the CUSTOMER who is keeping you in business?
That was my point not the $.20 but why argue.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:33 AM

22,651 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
LOL, yes not worth arguing with the non-Mensa members is it? The ones who never get the point. Like your story was really about the 20 cents

Old 10-18-2013, 07:07 AM

4,695 posts, read 8,734,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
once again for grandpa, she was probably rendered speechless by your lame attempt at a "tip" big shot

Old 10-18-2013, 07:38 AM

70 posts, read 174,657 times
We love ya anyway SIBs.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 AM

4,695 posts, read 8,734,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor Joe View Post
We love ya anyway SIBs.
which one of your screen names should I be replying too?

Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 AM

13,042 posts, read 18,008,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault;31854977[B
]That lady could have been having a bad day[/b] and your non-accusation may have been the last straw for her. My advice is to not take behavior like hers personally. She's the one with the problem not you.

I think bad customer service could be a trickle-down effect. When businesses treat their staff like dirt, the staff treat customers the same. I don't know if this is just a Long Island thing or if it's the same in the other NYC boroughs/suburbs.

The US used to be tops in c.s. but I've noticed that's it's been getting worse over the years and I'm curious if it's a reflection of management today who tend to treat their employees like a number or a replacable robot, instead of sentient human beings.

and then there's this-

The downside of diversity: A Harvard political scientist finds that diversity hurts civic life

Back to the stone age when I was waitressing my way through college. My friend and I applied for a job and were trained. The first day we went on the floor the manager spoke to us and said the following and it has remained with me all these years.

"Our patrons are coming here to be served and they don't care about your boyfriends or lack thereof, how drunk you were last night at a party or what you are going to be doing tonight. They don't care if you are having a bad day nor should they even know about it. I demand excellence in my wait staff and if I feel that you aren't providing it, you will be dismissed."

To this day I can hear his voice saying the above and it was a great life lesson for me. Now for the funny part. While the advice was sound and it was the first time I heard the word "wait staff", are you ready, it was a Howard Johnsons. Ah, good old Fish Fry nights.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 10-18-2013 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-18-2013, 07:53 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,240,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
The cultural (and common sense) practice in this country is to put change in people's hands. I had my hand open and she plops about seven coins on the counter and not in a friendly way. That's an insult like offering your hand for a handshake and have someone ignore it. Then, feelings aside, it takes time and effort to pick up coins from a flat surface so it delays customers behind me.

Stores want customer feedback which is why many have those surveys with monetary incentives to fill them out. It may be trivial to you but short of her spitting on me that was about the rudest she could have been to me. I rarely fill out those surveys so I don't always "vindictively" fill them out. Sometimes a friendly cashier asks me to give her the highest scores on the survey and I will then go out of my way to fill it out and do that. Filling out the survey for bad service is actually more important for the store so they can take corrective action.
My question is, what did you do/say directly to her? I would have asked her why she did that and then proceeded to straighten her out. I would have held up the line and embarrassed her. I would have not let her get away with that so easily so that she would have thought twice ... no three times ... about pulling a stunt like that on another customer after I was through with her.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:50 AM

70 posts, read 174,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
which one of your screen names should I be replying too?
The Great Conspirator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island