Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:30 PM

241 posts, read 732,545 times

Advertisements

Lowes opened up some time ago taking care of the blight that was the old Newspaper distribution place. Now as far as I know Dicks, Costco, superwalmart, some large office building. Heard rumors about Aldi's. What else do you know of? Do you think a Whole foods or Trader Joe would come this way, or Fairway? It's the gateway to the forks. I don't understand why they aren't here already. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 PM

74 posts, read 231,941 times
They're definitely getting an Aldi's out there. I'm most excited about The Christmas Tree Shoppe. Love that store and Deer Park is just too far for me.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:07 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,288 times
These big box stores destroyed downtown. I used to shop downtown years ago when my kids were little. Sears, Woolworths, Sweezy's. Such a shame they are all gone. But I guess that is progress. ugh.
That being said, I work for PetSmart and I have literally harassed them to open in Riverhead. I don't think they will and are missing a great opportunity. Petco is the only box store for animal supplies in Riverhead and the prices, quality and customer service leave a lot to be desired. PetSmart would give them a run for their money.
My sister in Jersey has a Christmas Tree Shop and she loves it. I have never been to one.
I'd like to see a Whole Foods open.
Do you think Lowes is doing well? The parking lot and store seems pretty empty compared to Home Depot and I still prefer Home Depot for selection and variety. I love Lowes but just can't find what I want most of the time.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:58 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
I know these stores do major market research before they lease/Buy land and built new buildings.
I cannot think of one other town on LI that has both BJs and Costco, plus superwalmart.
The east end is expanding and growing and these corporations are preparing to capitalize on it.
I agree the lowes seems slow compared to other lowes stores but I'm much more surprised by dicks sporting goods coming in, sports authority is always empty since its been there I have wondered how it stays open.

As for main street it is very sad but one of my clients that has a practice in Riverhead tried to buy real estate on main street earlier this year. The owners of those old dilapidated buildings are nuts. They want millions of dollars for buildings that are in terrible condition.
Meanwhile the town of Riverhead that desperately needs money to expand and improve the schools has given 10 year tax abatments to Costco and other big box stores. Main street cannot compete with that.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 PM

622 posts, read 852,988 times
Spent lot's of summers around Riverhead, but less and less. Traffic is epic. Bumper to bumper.

Still remember taking the kids to Krispy Kreme for a treat Saturday night.

Frankly, there's plenty of shopping there already, with the exception of a decent grocery. Christmas Shoppe is crap, and how many Home Depot and Lowes can you have?

Old 10-18-2013, 06:48 AM

734 posts, read 1,636,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Spent lot's of summers around Riverhead, but less and less. Traffic is epic. Bumper to bumper.

Still remember taking the kids to Krispy Kreme for a treat Saturday night.

Frankly, there's plenty of shopping there already, with the exception of a decent grocery. Christmas Shoppe is crap, and how many Home Depot and Lowes can you have?
There are a lot of contractors in that area and they use Riverhead Building Supply and Home Depot. Not so sure how many have moved to using Lowes.
Traffic can, for the most part, be avoided if you know the back roads, unless it is the height of pumpkin picking season on a week-end.
From what I understand, PetSmart is shying away from the high rents. I still think it is a mistake.
It's really a shame what has happened to Riverhead. I never had an issue with going west to do big shopping. Seems everyone wants to walk out their front door and have all stores at their fingertips. I'd rather live without the traffic and with peace and quiet and travel to do what I need to.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:05 AM

414 posts, read 808,699 times
BUILD BUILD BUILD, there are not enough stores on LI yet! Wont be long before all the space is gone, then everything will start building upwards. Wonder how far off we are from skyscrapers on LI.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:17 AM

8 posts, read 14,281 times
I hope they fix up the existing walmart shopping center. I think the front buildings look okay, but the rest of it leaves a lot to be desired. I remember when it was Caldors! Boy, times have changed!

Old 10-28-2013, 07:23 PM

241 posts, read 732,545 times
Riverhead is slowly revitalizing but there are too many empty store fronts to say it has made a comeback. So what are your takes on Whole Food or Trader Joe? Do you think there is a chance? Fairway? (though I don't like that store)

Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
Whole Farce and Trader Shmoos have no business being on Long Island, especially Riverhead. They cater to those who think they have an elite gastrointestinal track. Christmas Tree Shops are interesting. Lots of cheap crap to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island