Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:40 AM

223 posts, read 602,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
course they remember it..it was one of the first box stores in Elmont.
My kid was born in 75 so I figure I'm close to your parents age when I lived there.
I worked at GEM's as a kid as did my younger sister.
If I recall...I always thought GEM's pretty much had junk.
Be well
andy

Funny thing. I just got off the phone with my father and he said because he grew up in Hicksville he didn't have much recollection of the store except that he worked there, at the ice cream stand, but for only one day back in high school!!...apparently the guy didn't need him after that or he goofed off or something. Also, he remembered it as simply Great Eastern.

My parents actually moved to Elmont after they were married so I spent a lot of time where they grew up at my grandparents house in Hicksville and Bethpage...

One store I do remember from when I was a kid that isn't around anymore, I don't think, was the Times Square stores. I remember going there with my mom...I think the one I used to go to is now a K-Mart because I went there when I was up on the Island a few years back...I don't remember the street its on or what town its in though.

Sorry linda61...my father said he did not have any pics or any more info on the store for you. I will ask my aunt when I talk to her next. She still lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM

652 posts, read 2,259,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
Funny thing. I just got off the phone with my father and he said because he grew up in Hicksville he didn't have much recollection of the store except that he worked there, at the ice cream stand, but for only one day back in high school!!...apparently the guy didn't need him after that or he goofed off or something.
You read one of my other posts???
I had the same job in that store!! In the front lobby of the store...selling ice cream. Ask your dad if thats where he was. the very front of the store where you'd walk in from the parking lot.
I used to give ice cream away for free to friends...'tween me and your dad..thats probably why they went out of business...lol.
Thats when a smoke was a smoke..and groovin' was groovin'

Old 12-12-2007, 02:34 PM

223 posts, read 602,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
You read one of my other posts???
I had the same job in that store!! In the front lobby of the store...selling ice cream. Ask your dad if thats where he was. the very front of the store where you'd walk in from the parking lot.
I used to give ice cream away for free to friends...'tween me and your dad..thats probably why they went out of business...lol.
Thats when a smoke was a smoke..and groovin' was groovin'
Of course I read your other posts...I read the whole thread! I read this forum a lot (usually at work ) to keep up on what's happening on Long Island. It is my favorite place on earth after all...I just can't afford to live there; plus my wife is here and isn't leaving; so....

Yea, my dad remembered the ice cream stand being in the front of the store...I know he used to work at Wetsons too for a long time in HS...I think off of Hempstead turnpike down near Levittown/Bethpage maybe?

I love talking to my dad about growing up on LI...his older brother (my uncle) was actually in a HS band for a short while with the one and only Billy Joel, and my dad remembers Billy being at his house to practice! ... the lyrics "Do you remember those days hanging out at the village green?" from the song Scenes from an Italian Restaurant apparently means something to people from that area!

Cool stuff!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 7,552 times
Smile Great Eastern Mills

Ok, I am probably dating myself, but I worked at Great Eastern from about 1972 to about 1978. All of the departments in the store were owned by other companies that basically leased the space. I worked in the pet shop from 73 to 78. In 1971, I worked in the Lighting Department until that company went out of business. This was a great place for kids to work at the time ($1.85 an hour), and I met some very good friends there. In fact, 30 years later, I still keep in touch with some of them.

We had some great times there, breaking into the Candy Department's stockroom, and eating cashews by the pound. One time we put about a dozen snakes and 5 or 6 mice through a hole in the pet department's back wall into the beauty parlor. There was major grief the next day when the manager of the beauty parlor opened up and found the place full of garter snakes and mice. Of course we denied everything! We were all betweem 16 and 21, and had a great time, and even made some pocket money. Other things that went on: drinking Boons Farm Strawberry Wine in the stock room, making out with the cashiers in the stock room, crashing flats of car batteries so that the acid leaked on the floor, letting birds go (on purpose) so they could fly to the curtain department, sit on the curtains and mess them up.

Some of the employees: Pete from Pets, Big Joe, and Hal in Housewares, Diane in the Pet Department (She was a very hot blond!), Marie in the Smoke Shop, Grace who was a cashier, Liz (skinny cute blonde in Stationary), Steve in Pets, Owen in Occasional Furniture, etc. In the 70's, this was where we shopped in Elmont, unless you could go to Green Acres or A&S in Hempstead. It was a great time that I'll always remember!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:51 PM

879 posts, read 1,946,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda61 View Post
Good Morning, folks...

I was wondering if anyone might be able to direct me to a source for getting a picture/information on the Great Eastern Mills department store that was located in Elmont, NY, on Hempstead Tpke.

Just this evening, I was at the new Elmont Public Library going through their archives, but came up empty-handed.

Even though I grew up living in Queens on the Nassau-Queens border (still do), my family practically LIVED in that store in the 1960's. It would be a kick to see a photo of the old place.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sincerely,
Linda
Do you know when it closed and became TSS? I remember it best as TSS (Times Square Stores) but it was probably Great Eastern when I was a kid (born in '71) Wasn't there a Waldbaums next door? I lived so close to there lol we were there all the time too.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:05 PM

414 posts, read 908,075 times
Gosh, what memories! I grew up in Floral Park...there was a "back-way" through some lots and woods and a sandy road all the way to Great Eastern. We would hike there to buy our Beach Boy albums, Beetles, 45's, etc. We LOVED it!!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:48 AM

3 posts, read 47,802 times
Thanks so much for your memories! If anyone could post a picture of Great Eastern Mills, that would be fabulous!

Linda

Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,502,036 times
I remember TSS...............I'm getting old!

Old 04-22-2008, 05:04 PM

410 posts, read 1,670,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I remember TSS...............I'm getting old!
Well, I am getting old(er). I remember Great Eastern Mills.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 AM

652 posts, read 2,259,409 times
I'm gettin' old too...I can't remember a thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island