Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 04:58 PM

67 posts, read 124,527 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. Looking at a home in Farmingdale, 1st time home.

It's not at the *top* of my price range but it is at the limit of what i received from the bank. I would have about another $15 - $20k for modifications etc. Leaving me with about $10k - $15k to keep in the bank for safety.

Here are my questions.

The heating is Oil. As a renter I had oil, had to deal with the oil company etc, and hated it.

1. How much does it cost on average to convert this house to gas? I am calling National grid tomorrow to make sure there is a gas line outside.

2. The kitchen has the old 1950s style oven with the electric range top. Do I need to do any homework or can I just buy a gas range for the place?

There is a wall separating the living room and kitchen. We love open concept (hard to find in our price range max of $365k.
NO IDEA if this is a load bearing wall.

3. Can I do anything BEFORE buying the house to see if this is a load bearing wall and able to me opened up into the kitchen?

Yes I understand these projects will exceed my $12 - $15k money to change things. But I can do 1 project each year etc.

Thanks for help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,839,861 times
You can certainly get contractors to check out properties before you buy. We brought some in because we were putting in a 2nd floor to ranches. They can tell you what's possible or not, but without architect drawings they can't give an accurate figure though they are free to guess. Some experienced realtors will be able to tell you about the load-bearing as well - they run across the same questions every day and hear the explanations too. Conversion will be ballpark $6k-$12k.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:10 PM

22,654 posts, read 36,662,452 times
Your home inspector should be able to tell you if it's a load bearing wall.

Obviously you'll need to have gas in the house to get a gas range and you'll have to have gas run to the kitchen. Does the current range that is SIXTY YEARS OLD actually work? You should have your attorney put in the contract that appliances must be in working order. That will put seller on the hook to replace, or you can ask for a credit if you want to do it yourself.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:41 PM

9,926 posts, read 23,092,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Does the current range that is SIXTY YEARS OLD actually work? .
I see plenty of 50s/60s type ovens/ranges around and most of them DO work; appliances used to be made to last.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:42 PM

9,926 posts, read 23,092,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganx View Post

2. The kitchen has the old 1950s style oven with the electric range top. Do I need to do any homework or can I just buy a gas range for the place?
If all works out with getting gas, you will need a plumber to hook up the gas line to the stove/range.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I see plenty of 50s/60s type ovens/ranges around and most of them DO work; appliances used to be made to last.
Only on Long Island do people think it's OK to pay near half a million for a house with a 60 year old range. I'm sure it's in perfect working condition and energy efficient too. The many many homes I saw when house hunting on LI all those years ago were surely anomalies.

Something tells me we're not talking about a vintage Garland range here.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:29 AM

This is *not* a picture from the house (does not show online) but it is like it. The stove is old inside the cabinets (which are more modern) and the electric range top shown on the right side of the picture sits on top of the counter space.

http://images-73.har.com/e1/mediadis...3235273-19.jpg

Old 10-28-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
This is *not* a picture from the house (does not show online) but it is like it. The stove is old inside the cabinets (which are more modern) and the electric range top shown on the right side of the picture sits on top of the counter space.

http://images-73.har.com/e1/mediadis...3235273-19.jpg
Even worse, impossible to get replacement parts for a wall oven. My sister's was 20 years old and needed a new door, may as well have been trying to find the holy grail.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:48 AM

Well no, my plan is to get a plumber to run a gas line. Rip that crap out, and buy a gas oven. Gas ovens are about $400-500 online.

Not sure how much a plumber would be, and then we need to cut out the portion of the kitchen counter top to accommodate for the oven.

I am thinking it is about a $1800 - $2500 job.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:51 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,520,397 times
Quote:
Hey guys. Looking at a home in Farmingdale, 1st time home.

It's not at the *top* of my price range but it is at the limit of what i received from the bank. I would have about another $15 - $20k for modifications etc. Leaving me with about $10k - $15k to keep in the bank for safety.

Here are my questions.

The heating is Oil. As a renter I had oil, had to deal with the oil company etc, and hated it.

1. How much does it cost on average to convert this house to gas? I am calling National grid tomorrow to make sure there is a gas line outside.

There is a wall separating the living room and kitchen. We love open concept (hard to find in our price range max of $365k.
NO IDEA if this is a load bearing wall.

3. Can I do anything BEFORE buying the house to see if this is a load bearing wall and able to me opened up into the kitchen?

Yes I understand these projects will exceed my $12 - $15k money to change things. But I can do 1 project each year etc.

Thanks for help
1) Budget $7500-9000 which whould include a gas supply for a dryer and stove.

2)measure the width of the existing range ...should be standard size.

3) It's not the job of the home inspector to verify load bearing walls. With that said, a good inspector can easily determine that for you.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island