Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:57 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Oh, I just have to give you props for that one.

I see it personally as overpriced for what it is....

But, then again, that's the way I see a lot of LI.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Thank you for the props

I love it here, but agree that prices can be a bit much. I was fortunate to get in while home prices were still low and bought a fixer-upper to get into my area as cheaply as possible. That has made a huge difference for me. I know I am fortunate and I do feel badly for my neighbors who have no choice but to leave despite wanting to stay. Those who have left because they wanted to are people I am happy for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 08:06 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I don't find anything "great" about Long Island... absolutely nothing. Beaches? So what... how often do you REALLY go to the beach? Pine Barrens? I've never been and have no desire to.

Long Island is 100 miles of overpriced nothingness surrounded by shopping malls and congested traffic.
One thing stands out uniquely to LI, is that any of the hundreds of wonderful restaurants won't even tell you what the price of the evening specials are unless you ask. And, even when you do ask, they look at you like "why would ANYONE ask that question". Sickeningly pretentious, despite the beautiful beaches.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:16 AM

652 posts, read 2,264,416 times
Sounds like all the other states in the other City-Data-Forums. Same complaints, same compliments different location.
Wonder how Mars is

It's all within

Old 02-02-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
One thing stands out uniquely to LI, is that any of the hundreds of wonderful restaurants won't even tell you what the price of the evening specials are unless you ask. And, even when you do ask, they look at you like "why would ANYONE ask that question". Sickeningly pretentious, despite the beautiful beaches.

Wow. I never thought of it as pretentious. That's a different perspective to consider.

When I go out and the waiter/waitress describes a list of specials, I often ask, "What was that first one again?" simply because I start getting confused as everything sounds good, or one of the kids interrupts me and I miss out on something. For me to hear the price in with the specials and their ingredients it would only further confuse me. I have found that the if I hear a filet mignon special, it is usually within $5 of the regular filet mignon dinner on the menu. Unless they've tossed lobster into it -- then I just flat out ask, "How much?"

The waiter/waitress wants to please me to earn a bigger tip. The restaurant policy might to not list the prices of the specials unless asked. I open my mouth and ask politely, the server graciously accomodates me and in the end gets a bigger tip.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
Sounds like all the other states in the other City-Data-Forums. Same complaints, same compliments different location.
Wonder how Mars is

It's all within

Personally, I prefer Snickers over Mars

You're right -- we're all the same, no matter where we are. There are some days, though, I wish I were in a tipi like yours up on a mountain, away from it all!

Old 02-02-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Personally, I prefer Snickers over Mars

You're right -- we're all the same, no matter where we are. There are some days, though, I wish I were in a tipi like yours up on a mountain, away from it all!
I've been jumping from the Northern California forum when we considered moving there (closer to our older daughter) but thats out now.
Then to Western North Carolina (Asheville) which is always a possibility...and then readingthe posts here on Long Island. Its so funny to hear the same complaints everywhere. different strokes fer differstn folks is all.
Its good to tell your story and if you relate than you relate but to make judgemnet calls for masses of people is simply hysterical to me.

My tipi has just about seen it's day...I'm over-do for a new one.
Will someone please buy my house so I can set my new one uptop a mtn somewhere already? I'll post pictures...I promise

I prefere Snikers too by the way...frozen though
PSS..I can't ever remember being in a restaurant where they didn't have prices? Where's dat??? But when my wife was shopping in Waldbaums here in Huntington the other day she came home and commented that she was shocked how many items had no prices on them....hmmmmm.
I'll keep my shopping at Wild By Nature. Its much friendlier and the foods better...for me anyway.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:44 AM

999 posts, read 2,356,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If you don't mind my asking, as my experience and yours are different, where about do you live? (you don't have to be specific -- SE Nassau, Town of Huntington, etc. whatever you're comfortable with.)

I have found plenty to do that doesn't involve shopping or shopping malls (I loathe malls!) and I am very happy with the schools. I'm in NW Suffolk, Brookhaven Town.

If you could rethink your move and go elsewhere, where would you go and why? Would you or are you in a position to perhaps make a change and away from here to go there?

How about we ask what plenty of things you found to do that doesn't include shopping, watching a movie and going out to eat, and playing golf

Then ask yourself all the things lost from long island in just the past 10 years..
Long island used to have it all, beautiful ranges, motorsports facilities, horse facilities, riding areas, water sports and boating...

Now you have preserved land you CAN NOT USE.
Less ranges, and people fighting the last trap and skeet range out of existance
1 motorsport facility out of 45, and it is a 1 venue facility that doesn't cater to the kids and the street problems. (forget that the history of long island is motorsports, and motorsports in the USA started here and is not a down south redneck sport)
1 worthwhile , ah im lying just 1 horse area
No riding areas anymore for anything non horse, and that is practically a outlaw thing
Wet bikes and jet bikes are all practically outlawed here.

Long island is becoming the true land of no and the land of do nothing but work and pay taxes...

Old 02-02-2008, 10:54 AM

Not to mention no more Drive-Ins....lol

Old 02-02-2008, 11:24 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,655,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I travel quite frequently, and no one ever tells you the prices for the specials, it's considered tacky.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
How about we ask what plenty of things you found to do that doesn't include shopping, watching a movie and going out to eat, and playing golf
I don't golf. I don't go out to the movies on LI as it is ridiculously overpriced. Shopping? Blech. Mindless Stepdford wived pushing strollers about the mall? Puhleese, not for me. Online in the off times suits me fine.

I do dine out with friends as a social engagement. It is fun checking out restaurants and getting out of the house on a date night without the kiddies.

What do I do that doesn't involve what you've listed? I kayak, boat, fish (salt water and fresh, fly and spinning rod), participate in car shows with my vehicles (vintage and pro street), volunteer my time within the community for various fund raisers and community green ups, I do my own gardening for relaxation. I spend time at the yacht club beach in the summer, teaching my children about the various critters that live in the sound. I belong to the local historical society and donate my time to their activities.

All of this in addition to raising children, shuttling them to their activities and running the back office of DH's business.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island