Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:40 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

I hope you get what you deserve and the big teachers' unions come sniffing around your public schools and come shaking the hands and slipping money into the palms of your politicians in Raleigh Durham looking to sign up all the teachers as members and ream out you and yours in every way possible financially as taxpayers and citizens.
I know misery loves company and there's comfort in this thought or idea - but it's not reality... it ain't going to happen.

Regardless, too many focus on the salary part of overall compensation because it's so in your face and SHOCKING to see how high most are paid - yet the pensions are what is killing everyone. You could cut all salaries substantially and fire a bunch of teachers tomorrow, it still wouldn't fix the real problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 05:48 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
That's a lot even for a teacher here. Most make no where near that.
Really? Define "most?" 79% of my district makes over $100k (and that includes clerical and facilities). My kid's KG @ $126K, 1st grade @ $121k, 2nd grade @ $131k, 3rd grade at $115k (pauper). I wouldn't call it "no where near $150k." If so, then it's "no where near" the $98k number that was tossed around earlier. You can always go to seethroughny.com a.k.a. "the hater's bible."

Old 11-04-2013, 05:51 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
The median salary on Long Island is much much higher. So many people own cash businesses which falsely report their income and cheat government out of taxes. Teacher and other employees pay full tax on everything they earn.
The dept of labor develops those statistics nationwide and yes there is evasion, but you cannot backup the assertion that the median salary is significantly higher. A vast majority of workers pay taxes, why is that important. The point is that the median family income is $107K per year, the average yearly wage for a single earner is $52K, compare that to a teacher making $98K and it's difficult to defend total compensation

Old 11-04-2013, 05:53 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
It can never be said enough.

We'll be leaving LI sometime in the future to escape being financially bled to death by the overpaid, part-time leeches (oops, I mean public school teachers/administrators).

Believe it or not, there are still many people out there who have no idea of the theivery being perpetrated upon taxpayers. These same people believe most teachers are earning maybe $50K or $60K/year. They truly don't know about the bloated paychecks, benefits, and $3,000,000+ (and up) pensions, that doesn't include lifetime healthcare benefits added on.
Good for you. According to what I hear, you can expect a bidding war for your home from "all those people who have no idea about the thievery!"

Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 PM

406 posts, read 874,064 times
Calling teachers "leeches" and "thieves" is unnecessary and incendiary. That's what I meant by "attacking." Teachers (most, anyway) probably don't go into the field to bleed you people dry.

And it's funny how you call teaching a part-time profession, but you don't see many teachers posting on CityData all day long, including during working hours, like many people here. You need a full-time office job for the privilege of wasting time like that.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 PM

31 posts, read 50,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofCanarsie View Post
Calling teachers "leeches" and "thieves" is unnecessary and incendiary. That's what I meant by "attacking." Teachers (most, anyway) probably don't go into the field to bleed you people dry.

And it's funny how you call teaching a part-time profession, but you don't see many teachers posting on CityData all day long, including during working hours, like many people here. You need a full-time office job for the privilege of wasting time like that.
If you saw some of my kid's teacher's writing skillz, you'd understand why that is.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:18 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I know misery loves company and there's comfort in this thought or idea - but it's not reality... it ain't going to happen.

Regardless, too many focus on the salary part of overall compensation because it's so in your face and SHOCKING to see how high most are paid - yet the pensions are what is killing everyone. You could cut all salaries substantially and fire a bunch of teachers tomorrow, it still wouldn't fix the real problem.
Why can't it happen in North Carolina?

The pensions are a state-wide problem, not LI-specific, and, yes, they are an ELEPHANT ready to crush us all in NYS unfortunately. It still doesn't mean what's going on with the teachers' unions on LI is totally insignificant like you think.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Really? Define "most?" 79% of my district makes over $100k (and that includes clerical and facilities). My kid's KG @ $126K, 1st grade @ $121k, 2nd grade @ $131k, 3rd grade at $115k (pauper). I wouldn't call it "no where near $150k." If so, then it's "no where near" the $98k number that was tossed around earlier. You can always go to seethroughny.com a.k.a. "the hater's bible."
How much do your janitors and custodians make?

I swear I bet the guys over in jolly old England who wield the Royal Plunger for the Jeweled Toilet Her Royal Majesty The Queen's Tush sits on aren't compensated half as well as a Long Island school district plunger wielder mopper trash can emptiers etc. etc.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:28 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
So show me the 4th grade teacher who dreamed of making $151k?! On this planet or any of your choosing.

Same old _____ (self edit for Nancy) red herring ploy. "Jealous?!" "Bad life choices." yadda yadda, already addressed earlier in the thread. Someone called for a sticky to avoid your usual deflection trick. Knew you'd pop your little gopher head up up with your same old pointless mantra. "You should have tried it." "You could have followed your dreams to 6 figure Kindergarden-hood!"

Did a Mongoose just call me a gopher? That's a wrap for this thread folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
mongoose[/b]65;32091983]Actually I envision your posts popping up more like a mole in a whack a mole game. Maybe the bopper is too soft. You keep repeating the same thing despite 10 posts to one calling it bunk. You always want this thread to be a wrap. That's the ploy the same 3 multi-name users adopt every time the topic comes up. Yup, Nancy, close it up. QC knows it will get ugly from here. He/she will make sure of it. Any talk of teacher pay and you're a "jealous teacher hater." Yawn. No point in a battle of wits when the opponent comes unarmed. "That's a wrap folks."
Mongoose: Instead of flinging rodent-insults ('gopher', 'mole') at me could you discuss your issues rationally and less angrily? They are quite offensive notwithstanding your own 'mongoose' moniker. And for the record I did not say your 'bopper' was too soft. Those are your words.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:30 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofCanarsie View Post

Agree the "leeches" and "thieves" tag is crap and cheapens the argument. We'd all take the compensation if we could get it. That doesn't make it right and worse, doesn't make it sustainable. I get more angry that the union(s) will claw for every nickel at the DIRECT expense to kid's programs. Don't give me the "love to be a teacher and help kids" in one breath and the "cancel music, art and AP to meet 7% raise and pension obligations" in the next. The pendulum has to swing back at some point. I can't stand admonishing the one's who use the "teacher hater" crutch to avoid discussing the economics just to have some dope call them "thieves and leeches." Then, extremists always do nothing but throw a wrench in intelligent debate.

Last edited by mongoose65; 11-04-2013 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island