Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,222,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Brilliant. Incumbents win almost straight down the line. All blame can now officially fall squarely on the voters. Without a moronic or seedy scandal or bombs falling from the sky, NOTHING changes! Sheep capital of the world. If I could pick football games like I picked this election, I would have made a tidy sum. Oh well. Back to regularly scheduled work, taxes and soccer league.
While watching News 12 I noticed a lot of people ran completely unopposed. I even noticed it on my ballot with one race. Talk about apathy! Nobody even bothers to run against incumbents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Suozzi came off as what he is...opportunist, carpetbagger, hypocrite...and smug to boot. Apparently people decided to be nice to the pollsters and didn't want to tear him apart (and even when they did his denial was so great he brushed it off) but they weren't so kind in the general election. Haber would have actually done MUCH better but the dem machine made sure to kill him off. He was a much more viable candidate than Suozzi. The system is such a mess.

Anyway, good or bad, Mangano is not BAD ENOUGH to unseat. That's what it comes down to here. People on LI have to be REALLY ANGRY to unseat an incumbent. Not just the usual LICD forum angry, but really pi**ed about a specific issue. Although in Town of Hempstead that doesn't matter. Kate is repeatedly forgiven for everything including killing the Lighthouse deal and sending the Islanders to Brooklyn. Doing a mediocre job is accepted practice these days. The bar is set very low. Pretty much don't get hammered and smoke crack on video level badness. Although that isn't causing the Toronto mayor to resign (so far). Maybe he can come here and promise "no tax increases" and get a gig.
Obviously he wasn't crooked enough for them. And he said he wouldn't give out patronage jobs and would actually collect resumes and find the best qualified. You know we cannot have that!

Funny when Haber lost to Suozzi back in September, I was reading the Newsday comments online and a lot of people who posted as Mangano supporters were glad he lost and Suozzi won. They had nothing crooked on Haber to bring out. This campaign all they had to do was publicize Suozzi raising taxes and giving himself a $65,000 raise and that pretty much helped to seal the deal for Mangano.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM

22,140 posts, read 19,372,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
While watching News 12 I noticed a lot of people ran completely unopposed. I even noticed it on my ballot with one race. Talk about apathy! Nobody even bothers to run against incumbents!
Some of them did have challengers initially, but were knocked off the ticket due to ballot challenges, etc

With that being said most are gerrymandered to begin with. Just look at the Nassau County Legislature. Granted some areas are heavily tilted to one party or the other so no matter what you do its not going to be competitive. However you probably only have two or three districts tops that can be competitive if both sides have a solid candidate. Hell, the only district that was constantly competitive (the old 14th) was just carved up like a Pumpkin.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:26 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,492,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
This campaign all they had to do was publicize Suozzi raising taxes and giving himself a $65,000 raise and that pretty much helped to seal the deal for Mangano.
Mangano still collects the same salary as Suozzi with the $65,000 raise!

His GOP led Leg voted down a democrat request to lower it to pre- Suozzi salary.

They also lied saying Mangano turned down 4 raises for himself. He couldn't get those raises even if he wanted them. NIFA froze all wages!

Thats TEA PARTY hypocrites for you!

Old 11-09-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Mangano still collects the same salary as Suozzi with the $65,000 raise!

His GOP led Leg voted down a democrat request to lower it to pre- Suozzi salary.

They also lied saying Mangano turned down 4 raises for himself. He couldn't get those raises even if he wanted them. NIFA froze all wages!

Thats TEA PARTY hypocrites for you!
Do you really think anybody is gung ho on Mangano? He appeared to be the lesser of 2 evils to the voters when it came between him and Suozzi, due to Suozzi's past performance and Mangano's campaign focus on them. Like a lot of the voting choices and campaign races we have on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island