Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 90,291 times

Advertisements

Starting from the South
Do you remember when they built TSS at Daily Blvd and Long Beach Road(Kohls). They had a pizzia store inside the lobby and across from it was a hot dog stand.
Across Long Beach Road was the dumps, which they put up that 6 foot fence to hide it.
There was an Arby's at Long Beach and Mott St. (East Bay Diner)
C&J Bowl at Weidner and Long Beach Rd (Burger King)
Nathan's had the entire property where that whole shopping center is now. They had the rides outside. Wednesday Nights Pro Fottball players would come by.
Capri Pizzia "You ring we bring" VW's with the Chef Hats. (LB and Anchor)
Cummings Bar and Grill (Block Buster)
Pergaments (new bank)
Good Humor
There was an Esso Gas Station at Long Beach and Atlantic (1-800-Flowers)
McDonalds was red and white tile with just enough room to get in the door.
Lincoln Shopping Center: Ho-King, Gianni's, Food Fair, Woolworths, the lotto store with the same tired guy behind the counter.
John's Bargain Store was located at Long Beach and Smith Street
Smiles was where Vanellas Funeral Home is
Harts Pharmacy was across the street
Chawatsky's (Walgreens)
Pissetti's
Bohacks where Cedarhurst Paper is.
Messler's Hardware- the guy knew where every screw was.
Vic's Log Cabin
Faces (Long Beach and Homecrest)
Big Apple Supermarket (the old Foodtown)
Farmer Joels
Little Oil Company (later it became Tobacco Town)
Al's Mobil Gas on the corner
Kodak Photos (across from Towers)
Oceanside Laundry (where you had to drive in a long driveway around the parking lot.
Tell me what I missed? I also remember a Fly A Gas Station up on Foxhurst by Westlake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 01:20 PM

137 posts, read 741,009 times
Default Wow....great memory

I thought I remembered alot. I really enjoyed that.
Thank you!

Old 11-22-2007, 07:54 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Oceanside

For those who may not be familiar with Oceanside:

Oceanside is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the south part of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Oceanside in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Rockville Centre; on the east by the Hamlet of Baldwin and the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor; on the south by the Hamlet of Barnum Island; and, on the west by the Village of Hewlett Bay Park and the Village of East Rockaway.

The Hamlet of Oceanside has a different border than does the "Oceanside, NY 11572" postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "Oceanside, NY 11572" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Oceanside and a place can be in the Hamlet of Oceanside and have other than an "Oceanside, NY 11572" mailing address): some places in the Hamlet of Oceanside have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 11-23-2007, 08:31 AM

939 posts, read 1,838,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachhouse3 View Post
Starting from the South
Do you remember when they built TSS at Daily Blvd and Long Beach Road(Kohls). They had a pizzia store inside the lobby and across from it was a hot dog stand.
Across Long Beach Road was the dumps, which they put up that 6 foot fence to hide it.
Nathan's had the entire property where that whole shopping center is now. They had the rides outside. Wednesday Nights Pro Fottball players would come by.
Pergaments (new bank)
Good Humor
Lincoln Shopping Center: Ho-King, Gianni's, Food Fair, Woolworths, the lotto store with the same tired guy behind the counter.
Chawatsky's (Walgreens)
Pissetti's
Vic's Log Cabin
Farmer Joels
Oceanside Laundry (where you had to drive in a long driveway around the parking lot.
Tell me what I missed? I also remember a Fly A Gas Station up on Foxhurst by Westlake.
Go back a little further before there was a Daly Blvd; Lawson Blvd ended somewhere around Montgomery Ave into a vacant lot.

Lincoln Shopping Center also had the shoe store next to Woolworths and the kosher bakery. And how about when Dee's nursery was nothing more than a small shop?

St. Anthony's Church had the "underground" chapel which brought busloads of people to visit; destroyed by fire in the early 60's.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:44 AM

68 posts, read 420,902 times
Quote:
Starting from the South
Pergaments (new bank)
Good Humor
Chawatsky's (Walgreens)
Pissetti's
Vic's Log Cabin
Farmer Joels
There was a novelty store on Long Beach Rd across from Lincoln Shopping Center called Fun at Home. They sold the coolest Halloween masks.
Rudy's Fish and Chips was on Long Beach Rd
The Oceanside Bowl with that guy Herb that ran it.
A bar called The Towne that was just south of the movie theater on Long Beach Rd where checking proof was optional.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:12 PM

Smile More Oceanside

On Atlantic Avenue-There was an A & P, a deli and Friendly Frost down across from the American Legion. On the corner of Atlantic and Bayside there was a real 7-Eleven. Open at 7 AM closed at 11 PM. They had everything you needed at double the price.

Over on Brower and Oceanside Road where Farmer Joels is today, there was a Dairy Queen and then it became a cleaners and then Country Valley Farms.
Across the street was Henry's Deli- I'm talking when Henry ran it. Minn's Candy Store, with Harry behind the counter serving up 16 cent cokes in the little cone shaped paper cup. Next to Charlies U-needa Meat market. Charlie and Joe the butchers.
The Brower Ave shopping center was still a wooded lot.
Peace Farm on Brower by Harold actually had chickens running around the farm stand.
I know there was a corner bar by Brower and Oceanside Road, but I actually can't say I remember it. I think it was located where the Gas station is now.

Marios Italian Restaurant corner of Merle and Oceanside
Long Island Building Supply was next to Dairy Barn.

Over on Foxhurst and Oceanside Road there were a couple of old houses and a group of cottages in the back. That was diagonal from the candy store, barber shop, Amber's Deli and there was a little model shop there back in the 70's. I also remember a whole in the fence where you could cut out of Merle Ave school get over to the candy and back to school.
School # 1, the original High School and it had a sunken Gym.

I remember at Mott Street and Oceanside Road there was a bunch of abandoned old buildings, my father remembers as a kid, going to a circus there and used to point out where the Elephants would knock the doorways out of whack.

South Nassau Hospital had a big circle driveway in the front and faced Oceanside Road.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:01 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,769,351 times
Quote:
On Atlantic Avenue-There was an A & P, a deli and Friendly Frost down across from the American Legion. On the corner of Atlantic and Bayside there was a real 7-Eleven. Open at 7 AM closed at 11 PM. They had everything you needed at double the price.

Over on Brower and Oceanside Road where Farmer Joels is today, there was a Dairy Queen and then it became a cleaners and then Country Valley Farms.
Across the street was Henry's Deli- I'm talking when Henry ran it. Minn's Candy Store, with Harry behind the counter serving up 16 cent cokes in the little cone shaped paper cup. Next to Charlies U-needa Meat market. Charlie and Joe the butchers.
The Brower Ave shopping center was still a wooded lot.
Peace Farm on Brower by Harold actually had chickens running around the farm stand.
I know there was a corner bar by Brower and Oceanside Road, but I actually can't say I remember it. I think it was located where the Gas station is now.

Marios Italian Restaurant corner of Merle and Oceanside
Long Island Building Supply was next to Dairy Barn.

Over on Foxhurst and Oceanside Road there were a couple of old houses and a group of cottages in the back. That was diagonal from the candy store, barber shop, Amber's Deli and there was a little model shop there back in the 70's. I also remember a whole in the fence where you could cut out of Merle Ave school get over to the candy and back to school.
School # 1, the original High School and it had a sunken Gym.

I remember at Mott Street and Oceanside Road there was a bunch of abandoned old buildings, my father remembers as a kid, going to a circus there and used to point out where the Elephants would knock the doorways out of whack.

South Nassau Hospital had a big circle driveway in the front and faced Oceanside Road.

WOW!!! lot's of memories. Henry's Deli, I remember when I was caddy at the Middle Bay Country Club, I used to ride my bike at 5:00am to henry's and he used to make me a "Breakfast Special" sandwich and I'd sit on the curb outside and eat it before going to the course.
How about the Tuck-Her-Inn bar on Long Beach Rd? And Camp Allen Day Camp right down the road from Henry's (I forgot the name of the road, I've been gone for 15 years) I went to Bar-H Day Camp as a kid also. What about when Top Rollers was there before they brought in the Gold Coast Flea Market?

Keep em coming!!!

Old 11-24-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Camp Allen

Hey I forgot about Camp Allen. I was one of those kids looking through the fence during the summer wondering what was going on inside. I remember they had the western village across the street with a few ponies. They had gokarts to cruise around in.
Down behind Bordman was Treasure Island- we used to sneak in to play when my older brothers were playing baseball at Wright's Field.
Atlantic Avenue had Camp DeBaun (the sole survivor) and Bar-H Camp.

At the corner of Madison Ave and Brower there was a little nursery, with a 3 foot white fence around it. Then it became Alphabet Nursery School. I remember someone blew up the building with a bomb back in the 70's. Then it became a commercial bakery for a few years. Today there is a Chinese Restaurant, Laundry and nail salon.

Across from the Library there were some old houses, where the parking field is now. There was an old junk store called the Sparrows Nest. I found out years later that one of the houses was actually moved from the corner of Oceanside Road and Foxhurst Road, where the hand ball court is. The historical value in that it was used by British Troops during the revolution. So they moved it and then tore it down.

South Nassau hospital tore down a house about two years ago, on Oceanside Road to make a bigger parking field. Supposedly that was originally a funeral home.

I read that the original Christian Hook School House was moved and is supposedly the first house south of Merrick Road on the west side of Washington Ave. It has fallen into some disrepair. Hopefully it won't be torn down.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:23 PM

137 posts, read 741,009 times
Default And....

Ruths candy store on Woods Ave.
And...
In the Woolworths strip mall on Atlantic was a hair salon called "Cut & Curl," and the CVS was a store called Consumers Distributing. (catalog store)

Before Marshalls, Gold Coast and The roller rink was Morsan's. It was a sporting goods store.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:59 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,769,351 times
I bought my first Atari at Consumers!! I attended every day camp in the area (Allen, Coleman, Bar-H, Millett, DeBaun) I'm glad at least one survived

It's been so long since I've been back. How about where the Waldbaums and Genovese Drugs was on Long Beach Rd. There was a stationary store we used to just call "Cards & Gifts" but it's real name was "Twist of Lemon" or something, when I was there last there was a pretty good Italian Restaurant there!!

I was a part of the first class at OHS that wasn't allowed to leave for lunch...but we used to always sneak out to Mario's Pizza, and the Chinese Food place in the same shopping center, I still have dreams of their Chicken Chow Mein!!!

I think back to the days at Boardman Elementary and the smell of "The Dump" during a hot afternoon was so obnoxious. In this day and time they would never be allowed to do something like that. There was always the rumors floating around that they were going to make artifical snow and let people ski down it, who would ski on a big pile of garbage???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island