Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times

Advertisements

This is why we evolved middle fingers. Use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 11:01 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Lets be fair now....you're a terrible poster.
If I only I could contribute as much as you. Looking through your previous posts shows you to be quite to contributor out here.

My repsonse was to hotkarl and I am quite confident he gets it.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:29 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times
Of course they should turn when they feel it is safe. However, at 5:30 am when no one is on the road and I just watch the moron in front of me stay stopped for 3 or 4 minutes without a single car going by, they are idiots. I just drive around them in the middle lane and make a right turn in front of them. They aren't going to stop me from turning.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:10 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
If I only I could contribute as much as you. Looking through your previous posts shows you to be quite to contributor out here.

My repsonse was to hotkarl and I am quite confident he gets it.
Got it!

Old 11-15-2013, 04:56 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Source please!!!

I always go ROR when I can, but I don't honk when someone decides to sit. It's their right to do so.

I've had people honk at me for sitting at a right red arrow! I like to wave at them and smile, pretending like they honked because we're friends.
DMV, Driver's Ed., common sense.
ROR exhibits the same rules as a stop sign. You don't proceed until coming to a full stop and it's safe to go. The fines are even the same for breaking these rules. That doesn't mean someone can't be a prick and do the same thing at a stop sign. They could sit there all day if they don't feel safe going through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Worst law ever and should be abolished. It is not MANDATORY for someone to go ROR. Don't like that, too bad - doesn't change the facts. So save your horn.
No one claimed it was mandatory.

Quote:
No one should be honking at anyone anywhere, 9 times out of 10 you can't see oncoming traffic if you're the second car in line. It is entirely within the discretion of the first person in line to turn or not. If they just don't feel like it, tough luck. There are also situations where the right lane is straight ahead OR right turn. I love getting honked at when I'm going straight.
People have a right to be annoying. We get it.

Quote:
Most people truly do not understand that you only turn ROR when the traffic on the intersecting road is 100% clear and if an accident happens, the fault is the same as if you ran a red light. I had a guy hit our insured making a right on red (my insured with the green) - denied the claim, he sued in small claims, he lost - he never got it through his thick skull that under the law he ran a red light. Period. Also, most people NEVER look to their right to see if there is a pedestrian.

Handled soooo many accident claims due to ROR it's ridiculous.
ROR is not the same as blowing a red. Both are different violations with their own code. Red light tickets are one of the worst you could get points and fine wise. ROR (Where ROR is permitted) tickets for failing to stop or failing to yield are the same level of violation as stop sign/failure to yield type tickets. Same goes for a 'Flashing Red' traffic light--it's a stop sign.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:53 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/dmanual/chapter04-manual.htm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Old 11-16-2013, 06:57 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Here's something I bet no one knew (although many will chirp in and CLAIM they knew this):

You may make a left turn at a steady red light when turning from a one-way road into another one-way road after coming to a full stop and yielding the right-of-way to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:39 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
You may make a left turn at a steady red light when turning from a one-way road into another one-way road after coming to a full stop and yielding the right-of-way to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.

I never knew this either & I am trying to picture how this would work. Have you ever seen a place where this even exists?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-16-2013, 12:53 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

I never knew this either & I am trying to picture how this would work. Have you ever seen a place where this even exists?
Probably somewhere like a downtown district with a bunch of one-ways, you only have one direction to turn or you keep straight.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:03 PM

28 posts, read 44,958 times
Why is thread still open?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island