Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times

Advertisements

Gotta be careful with those cameras, I've heard of people making rights on red getting camera tickets and yes they stopped but only for a few seconds. Most refuse to ever make a right on red after that, can't say I blame 'em. No one can force you to make a right on red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 09:15 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Gotta be careful with those cameras, I've heard of people making rights on red getting camera tickets and yes they stopped but only for a few seconds. Most refuse to ever make a right on red after that, can't say I blame 'em. No one can force you to make a right on red.
For a right on red, you have to come to a FULL stop, check to make sure it's safe to go, and then you can make your turn. That takes more than "a few seconds" so the people who got the tickets deserved them.

I know a couple of people who've gotten the tickets, too. They "rolled" right on red and didn't get why they were receiving tickets because "you can make a right on red".

Old 11-17-2013, 09:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
For a right on red, you have to come to a FULL stop, check to make sure it's safe to go, and then you can make your turn. That takes more than "a few seconds" so the people who got the tickets deserved them.

I know a couple of people who've gotten the tickets, too. They "rolled" right on red and didn't get why they were receiving tickets because "you can make a right on red".
I assume they saw no cars coming when they stopped for a few seconds. Obviously who'd make a right when things weren't clear. Then again there's plenty of ppl who peel out of driveways right into traffic.
I've been told if you're stopped for less than 10 seconds the camera will go off on you.
So many are just playing it safe and not making a right on red even if it's permitted, esp if there's a camera. I know I wouldn't.
Fighting the camera tickets is often a lengthy and expensive process.
I DO NOT think the cameras make the roads safer, they're merely a revenue generator. The yellows are definitely shortened to get you.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:47 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
I've noticed a new recent trend. People who don't move when the light turns green because they're using the opportunity of a red light to text, update their facebook status, watch a movie, whatever.

It can take two or three honks to get these idiots moving.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:26 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
I've noticed a new recent trend. People who don't move when the light turns green because they're using the opportunity of a red light to text, update their facebook status, watch a movie, whatever.

It can take two or three honks to get these idiots moving.
Sounds like another new thread!....

Old 11-18-2013, 06:01 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Quote:

It takes more than a few seconds. IIRC, we were taught come to a full stop, for at least three seconds, then if clear proceed to make the turn.

Now I DO agree with you, that more than likely, their stop, was a gentile sweeping roll.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:36 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Sounds like another new thread!....
Ask and ye shall receive

Old 11-18-2013, 11:13 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
DMV, Driver's Ed., common sense.
ROR exhibits the same rules as a stop sign. You don't proceed until coming to a full stop and it's safe to go. The fines are even the same for breaking these rules. That doesn't mean someone can't be a prick and do the same thing at a stop sign. They could sit there all day if they don't feel safe going through.

No one claimed it was mandatory.

People have a right to be annoying. We get it.

ROR is not the same as blowing a red. Both are different violations with their own code. Red light tickets are one of the worst you could get points and fine wise. ROR (Where ROR is permitted) tickets for failing to stop or failing to yield are the same level of violation as stop sign/failure to yield type tickets. Same goes for a 'Flashing Red' traffic light--it's a stop sign.
ROR is NOT the same as a stop sign because it's NOT mandatory that you go, like you said.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:32 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
ROR is NOT the same as a stop sign because it's NOT mandatory that you go, like you said.
OK, 9 out of 10 people treat it like a stop sign. Close enough to being generally accepted as one. Technically, it's not mandatory to go at a stop sign either. If you see an old lady about to cross from 100 feet away, you don't have to go through until she clears the intersection 10 minutes later. You could also drive 40mph in the middle lane of the LIE if you wanted to. That doesn't mean the speed limit isn't 55mph.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:55 AM

246 posts, read 470,473 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
It takes more than a few seconds. IIRC, we were taught come to a full stop, for at least three seconds, then if clear proceed to make the turn.

Now I DO agree with you, that more than likely, their stop, was a gentile sweeping roll.

Again, I don't believe there is a time requirement. Depending on how fast you approach the red, a full stop can take 3 seconds, enough to look, and then proceed. If you make sure you stop, as in ZERO forward momentum, for a pause, look and turn, you are OK.

Red light cams are revenue generators. What we need are summons for cell phone use, switching lanes without signaling, and personel or cameras to enforce it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island