Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
Again, I don't believe there is a time requirement. Depending on how fast you approach the red, a full stop can take 3 seconds, enough to look, and then proceed. If you make sure you stop, as in ZERO forward momentum, for a pause, look and turn, you are OK.

Red light cams are revenue generators. What we need are summons for cell phone use, switching lanes without signaling, and personel or cameras to enforce it

No. You have to come to a full and complete stop, look to ensure no cars are coming, look to ensure no pedestrians are crossing, and look again to ensure all is clear and then you can proceed. That takes more than 3 seconds.

As for the red light cameras, they have a time stamp in the photos. A friend at my old job got several for passing the red light, making ROR without stopping, etc. The photos show her approaching the light, running it, and then her car from behind as it's going on its way. The ROR violation was the same. It showed her approaching the red light, making her turn w/o stopping, and the back of the car driving away. All the photos had date/time stamps on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 01:03 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
OK, 9 out of 10 people treat it like a stop sign. Close enough to being generally accepted as one.
Source?

Quote:
Technically, it's not mandatory to go at a stop sign either.
Au contraire! Technically, if you sit a stop sign and don't go until the conditions change, it's called standing in an active roadway, or blocking traffic, and you could be sighted for a violation.

Quote:
If you see an old lady about to cross from 100 feet away, you don't have to go through until she clears the intersection 10 minutes later. You could also drive 40mph in the middle lane of the LIE if you wanted to. That doesn't mean the speed limit isn't 55mph.
The difference in your examples are: If a police officer was to be behind you when you pulled something like the above, it's probable cause to get pulled over for questioning. If you were to sit at a red light in the right turn lane, the officer would have no probable cause to pull you over.

Don't believe me? Next time a cop is behind you, try counting to 600 at a stop sign.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:54 AM

246 posts, read 470,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
No. You have to come to a full and complete stop, look to ensure no cars are coming, look to ensure no pedestrians are crossing, and look again to ensure all is clear and then you can proceed. That takes more than 3 seconds.

It takes more than 3 seconds if you are coming to a stop from a higher speed.

If you are coming to the stoplight at 10 MPH vs 45 MPH, the seconds will differ.

When I approach an intersection, I am constantly scanning the intersection, cars, etc, while slowing down. Driving is hugely dynamic, we are/should constantly be scanning.

Just did it with his post in mind, couldn't count to "three Mississippi" before I was done stopping and going.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:15 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Source?

Au contraire! Technically, if you sit a stop sign and don't go until the conditions change, it's called standing in an active roadway, or blocking traffic, and you could be sighted for a violation.

The difference in your examples are: If a police officer was to be behind you when you pulled something like the above, it's probable cause to get pulled over for questioning. If you were to sit at a red light in the right turn lane, the officer would have no probable cause to pull you over.

Don't believe me? Next time a cop is behind you, try counting to 600 at a stop sign.
You're right. It's nothing like a stop sign. You win this battle of nuances. But to all the no-ROR turners, we will win the war!!

Old 11-23-2013, 08:41 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,549 times
What is worse is when you get honked at for stopping at a stop sign. happened to me 2 weeks ago. I stopped at a stop sign the guy behing me honked and went around me and blew the stop sign.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:46 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
It takes more than 3 seconds if you are coming to a stop from a higher speed.

If you are coming to the stoplight at 10 MPH vs 45 MPH, the seconds will differ.

When I approach an intersection, I am constantly scanning the intersection, cars, etc, while slowing down. Driving is hugely dynamic, we are/should constantly be scanning.

Just did it with his post in mind, couldn't count to "three Mississippi" before I was done stopping and going.

It doesn't matter how fast you are approaching the light. We were talking about the time you have to actually be at a full stop and the time it takes to ensure it's safe to proceed.

Also, I don't care if you're "constantly scanning the intersection, etc" while slowing down. Some things you are NOT going to see until you are actually at the intersection --- that's why you must come to a full stop and then look and look again. I'm sure 99% of the ROR accidents were due to someone "scanning the intersection" and THINKING they saw everything and didn't.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:26 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
What is worse is when you get honked at for stopping at a stop sign. happened to me 2 weeks ago. I stopped at a stop sign the guy behing me honked and went around me and blew the stop sign.
LMAO! How much you wanna bet he was a cop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island