U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-15-2013, 08:31 AM

108 posts, read 94,845 times

Advertisements

For those homeowners with oil heating, how large is your tank, how much do you pay per fill-up, and how long does each fill-up last you?

I know oil is definitely costlier than gas heating but by how much?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:36 AM

405 posts, read 699,590 times
There are too many variables here to reflect upon what you might see: temperature you keep the home at, programmable thermostat, quality of house insulation, winter weather conditions. I know it changes every year for me based on the weather. 275 tank, that should last MAYBE 3 to 4 months through the winter when filled if it's cold and temp range @ 68 day down to 62 bedtime. My house is well insulated, but we have a lot of big windows and some high ceilings.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
There are too many variables here to reflect upon what you might see: temperature you keep the home at, programmable thermostat, quality of house insulation, winter weather conditions. I know it changes every year for me based on the weather. 275 tank, that should last MAYBE 3 to 4 months through the winter when filled if it's cold and temp range @ 68 day down to 62 bedtime. My house is well insulated, but we have a lot of big windows and some high ceilings.
So it is safe to say that you only purchase a full tank once a year? How much does it cost you? I know there are lots of variables in determining the answers to all the above questions but I just want to here what people have to say and get a sense for the costs.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,582,924 times
I burn thru an average of 1.5 tank a year, 550 gallon tank, 3 zone thermostat.

5am-7am: 68 degrees
7am-4pm: 60 degrees
4pm-9pm: 68 degrees
9pm-5am: 66 degrees

cost varies....you can look at codfuel to calc the cost at today's price

Old 11-15-2013, 10:09 AM

303 posts, read 421,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyziggy View Post
So it is safe to say that you only purchase a full tank once a year? How much does it cost you? I know there are lots of variables in determining the answers to all the above questions but I just want to here what people have to say and get a sense for the costs.
If you sign an Oil contract then your tank will be filled up monthly during the cold season. If you do COD then you have to monitor your own usage. I average about 125 gallons per month during winter with temperture set to 70, 4 zones. Last year, I was paying about $500 ($3.79) per delivery.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,582,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
If you sign an Oil contract then your tank will be filled up monthly during the cold season.
do they really come monthly?

I remember my dad's house...they came sort of random. once the tank went empty. Another time, they came in the springtime and my dad got slammed with a giant bill especially considering he had a 1500 gallon tank

Old 11-15-2013, 11:52 AM

342 posts, read 526,756 times
Does it really matter to people if the oil people come monthly, every other month, or random? You are paying for the oil that you use. Why is it such a big deal to people if godforbid they come more frequently? I'll never understand this.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 PM

83 posts, read 251,336 times
I had deliveries every other month from Nov '12 til March '13 of roughly 160 gallons to 218 gallons per drop. 218 gallon delivery was in Nov '12 after going the whole spring/summer/fall. I have a 275 gallon tank. Perfectly highlighted above, there are far too many variables that factor in to be definitive. Take note of your deliveries this way you can start calculating what your cost per year will be. It helps you negotiate when you understand how many gallons per year you are using.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:17 PM

Anybody here did rough calculations on how much money in oil costs you per month? From what I see so far, it seems to be VERY expensive compared to gas.

My parents have a 1700 sqft house with the heat on all day on just one floor set to about 67 degrees and the gas bill costs them about $250 a month. Keep in mind this also includes cooking too.

Is it possible to stay under $250 a month in oil costs?

Old 11-15-2013, 03:21 PM

1,083 posts, read 994,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyziggy View Post
For those homeowners with oil heating, how large is your tank, how much do you pay per fill-up, and how long does each fill-up last you?

I know oil is definitely costlier than gas heating but by how much?
As someone who just moved to a gas-heated home, I did some research on this and found that -- on Long Island -- gas is roughly 40% lower than oil. Of course, the difference may have narrowed in the past weeks with oil coming down a bit in price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island