U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:30 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,785,330 times

Advertisements

Do you mean long island wasnt "founded" to provide housing for the returning GIs from WW2.

You mean all those racist whites just decided to leave brooklyn and queens to find White Heaven

Guess you attended tge Al Sharpton School of History
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 AM

530 posts, read 1,004,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Do you mean long island wasnt "founded" to provide housing for the returning GIs from WW2.

You mean all those racist whites just decided to leave brooklyn and queens to find White Heaven

Guess you attended tge Al Sharpton School of History
Surely you must be familiar with all the self-segregative restrictive covenants banning non-whites from communities (Levittown is the most famous example of this). There was actually only a COUPLE of LI developments in the 50's/60's that did NOT have racist restrictive covenants. And please don't even get me started with blockbusting, redlining, steering and all the other insane, strange and hateful real estate practices of early modern-LI.

Sounds like you attended Bill O'Reilly Community College..

Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 AM

9,460 posts, read 10,992,175 times
Maybe we're all wrong and diversity just isn't meant to be. Can cats and dogs live together and get along? Some. Not all. Is it hatred? Or just evolution? Who knows. Maybe in some kind of cosmic way people of different cultures and colors just aren't meant to live together. Why is the sky blue? What is the flight velocity of an unladen swallow? What is the daily double?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Maybe we're all wrong and diversity just isn't meant to be. Can cats and dogs live together and get along? Some. Not all. Is it hatred? Or just evolution? Who knows. Maybe in some kind of cosmic way people of different cultures and colors just aren't meant to live together. Why is the sky blue? What is the flight velocity of an unladen swallow? What is the daily double?
Interesting point.

I have nothing against somebody seeking a homogenous area to live in and I definitely don't believe in forced diversity. Heck, I don't even have an issue with somebody who has racist beliefs as long as they don't bring all that baggage to me.

The main concern of this thread is the problem of people going out of their way to commit hate crimes, racial violence, racist graffiti, etc...that's when it becomes a problem.

BTW: There are many nearby areas that have had little problem maintaining a long-term racial balance. The South Bronx is a great example of this, as well as South Orange/Maplewood/West Orange/Montclair region right across in NJ and Briarwood/Jamaica in Queens. Long Island shouldn't paint the picture of the entire country.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:55 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,496,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Interesting point.

I have nothing against somebody seeking a homogenous area to live in and I definitely don't believe in forced diversity. Heck, I don't even have an issue with somebody who has racist beliefs as long as they don't bring all that baggage to me.

The main concern of this thread is the problem of people going out of their way to commit hate crimes, racial violence, racist graffiti, etc...that's when it becomes a problem.

BTW: There are many nearby areas that have had little problem maintaining a long-term racial balance. The South Bronx is a great example of this, as well as South Orange/Maplewood/West Orange/Montclair region right across in NJ and Briarwood/Jamaica in Queens. Long Island shouldn't paint the picture of the entire country.
Well then I guess it's a good thing we're not discussing the entire country. As the thread title states.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:39 PM

574 posts, read 956,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Surely you must be familiar with all the self-segregative restrictive covenants banning non-whites from communities (Levittown is the most famous example of this). There was actually only a COUPLE of LI developments in the 50's/60's that did NOT have racist restrictive covenants. And please don't even get me started with blockbusting, redlining, steering and all the other insane, strange and hateful real estate practices of early modern-LI.

Sounds like you attended Bill O'Reilly Community College..
Levittown catches a lot of flak for the racial covenants (likely because, as you said, it's the most famous example of it), but I have read that the FHA required the covenants if they were going to lend money. The link below supports that. I'm not saying Levittown would have been some interracial paradise had this policy not existed, I just think it should be noted when discussing early Levittown.

The only LI area I know that didn't include racial covenants was Amityville, which I read the developer specifically named as a counter to the covenants. Do you know, offhand, any of the others?

Quote:
As with many homebuilders in his era, William Levitt didn't question the demands of his financial backers, the FHA, which supported nationwide racial covenants and "redlining"—or devaluing—racially mixed communities. Every Levittown rental lease and homeowner's contract barred those that were "not member(s) of the Caucasian race."
Levittown: The Archetype for Suburban Development

Old 11-30-2013, 12:53 PM

29 posts, read 23,618 times
Really?! Many Long Islanders (my father's entire family among them) are postwar white flighters (or their descendents.) Not surprisingly, I know of quite a few people raised on LI who have left the metro area altogether for racially homogeneous rural areas, citing NY's ”changes”.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:41 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,983,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleFromQueens View Post
Really?! Many Long Islanders (my father's entire family among them) are postwar white flighters (or their descendents.) Not surprisingly, I know of quite a few people raised on LI who have left the metro area altogether for racially homogeneous rural areas, citing NY's ”changes”.

Re: descendants of white flighters...same thing here.

I really am not surprised at this. LI can be astoundingly provincial and prejudiced if you believe that the proximity to NYC would allow some cosmopolitan ideals to bleed over the borders.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:32 PM

3,445 posts, read 4,785,330 times
Bleed over the borders? It has...crime, home invasions, etc...bleeding ruined elmont and is destroying valley stream.

Perhaps long islanders can put up a big fence along the cross island to keep the bleeding out.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Bleed over the borders? It has...crime, home invasions, etc...bleeding ruined elmont and is destroying valley stream.

Perhaps long islanders can put up a big fence along the cross island to keep the bleeding out.
It's so annoying and incorrect how people say Elmont's was destroyed or ruined.

To be fair: The only flaw of the community is that sometimes it has to deal with property crime on Hempstead Tpke and occasionally isolated private house party incidents (both almost exclusively committed by ppl who don't even live in Elmont). And of course a long list of haters..

It's only some of the former residents who deliberately forfeited Elmont decades ago and the idiots who *want* to believe them, who think that it was ruined. My personal theory is that they desperately want to believe the narrative that certain kinds of ppl destroy everything that they touch when in reality that's not the case. Here are some facts about Elmont to solidify this:

- Elmont has VERY stable&good performing public school systems. Ranked 7/10 and 8/10 by the well-respected 'Greatschools.org':
Elmont Ufsd in Elmont, NY | GreatSchools
Sewanhaka Central High School District in Floral Park, NY | GreatSchools

- Violent Crime in Elmont is 62% lower than the New York State average, so obviously past residents as well as the media are deliberately going out their way to misportray Elmont:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

- Properties are generally still very well-maintained.

- VERY low poverty rate at 5.8% (far less than half of the NY state average)

- Higher median household income than well-regarded communities like Mineola, Farmingdale, Glen Cove, Long Beach, Oyster Bay and Inwood

- VERY high homeownership rate at 81%

- Median home value of $412k

Here's a source straight from the 2010 Census for the last four points: Elmont CDP QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2013 at 06:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or