U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 06:48 PM

716 posts, read 1,067,873 times

Advertisements

The only info I have regarding Elmont is the stretch of Hempstead Tpk that I've driven from Franklin Square to the Cross Island. It's a pretty scary mess. I don't care how low the violent crime rate is or how high the rate of home-ownership is, I pray that my car never breaks down there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:03 AM

863 posts, read 1,765,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
It's so annoying and incorrect how people say Elmont's was destroyed or ruined.

To be fair: The only flaw of the community is that sometimes it has to deal with property crime on Hempstead Tpke and occasionally isolated private house party incidents (both almost exclusively committed by ppl who don't even live in Elmont). And of course a long list of haters..

It's only some of the former residents who deliberately forfeited Elmont decades ago and the idiots who *want* to believe them, who think that it was ruined. My personal theory is that they desperately want to believe the narrative that certain kinds of ppl destroy everything that they touch when in reality that's not the case. Here are some facts about Elmont to solidify this:

- Elmont has VERY stable&good performing public school systems. Ranked 7/10 and 8/10 by the well-respected 'Greatschools.org':
Elmont Ufsd in Elmont, NY | GreatSchools
Sewanhaka Central High School District in Floral Park, NY | GreatSchools

- Violent Crime in Elmont is 62% lower than the New York State average, so obviously past residents as well as the media are deliberately going out their way to misportray Elmont:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

- Properties are generally still very well-maintained.

- VERY low poverty rate at 5.8% (far less than half of the NY state average)

- Higher median household income than well-regarded communities like Mineola, Farmingdale, Glen Cove, Long Beach, Oyster Bay and Inwood

- VERY high homeownership rate at 81%

- Median home value of $412k

Here's a source straight from the 2010 Census for the last four points: Elmont CDP QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Thank you for your great comments. I posted this article to show that people here are afraid of anything that does not look or act like them. I am tired of seeing the treads about Baldwin, Freeport, Vallystreem and Elmont being either over ran by thugs or in decline. Yes every neighborhood has it's issues, but Long Islanders are the drama queens of NY. The sky is always falling and if they could build a fence around the island they would.

Last edited by Yac; 12-03-2013 at 06:18 AM..

Old 12-02-2013, 10:13 AM

222 posts, read 540,342 times
Elmont isn't the best of areas but it's far from being the impoverished and "ruined" area many Long Islanders claim it is. Parts of Elmont are nicer than others, with some parts actually being ghetto (Elmont Rd and Hempstead Turnpike area), but on the whole it's a decent neighborhood.

The schools are slightly above average, I'd say. They get a boost from New Hyde Park and Stewart Manor residents, especially in the lower grades. I think Elmont is surrounded by several nicer neighborhoods on the Long Island side and not-so-nice areas on the Queens side, so it's generally viewed as not being that great, but that's not an accurate view.

Friends of mine bought a house there two years ago. She's a teacher and he's a construction worker. Wonderful people. They did however tell me that if they had a few extra bucks, they would have settled in New Hyde Park (better transportation, more stores and stuff to do).

Old 12-02-2013, 10:05 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,300,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
The schools are slightly above average, I'd say. They get a boost from New Hyde Park and Stewart Manor residents, especially in the lower grades. I think Elmont is surrounded by several nicer neighborhoods on the Long Island side and not-so-nice areas on the Queens side, so it's generally viewed as not being that great, but that's not an accurate view.
The areas in Queens bordering Elmont (Queens Village & Cambria Heights) are both good areas.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:34 PM

530 posts, read 1,015,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The areas in Queens bordering Elmont (Queens Village & Cambria Heights) are both good areas.
I agree. I especially like Linden Blvd in Cambria Heights. Cute little business district and some good Caribbean food.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:23 PM

367 posts, read 590,762 times
As racist as the posters on this forum are, there should be no surprise at the number of hate crimes here.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:35 AM

222 posts, read 540,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It's a matter of perspective. I can't call any neighborhood in which young men occasionally shoot each other dead in the street as a "good neighborhood." Yes, I'm sure if you're not involved in criminal activity, and you're not out on the street after midnight, the neighborhood is good. But the reality is there's crime in these areas that while average for New York City would be considered high in Long Island.

I would say the same about Hollis. It's not a bad area, but there's crime, there are guys drinking beer in front of the corner store, you have to be mindful of your surroundings walking home at night, etc.

Queens Village isn't Brownsville, but it is a generally lower income, densely populated, and transient neighborhood. I've bought shoes at Eric's Shoes on Jamaica Ave... but I also once saw a guy running down Springfield Blvd one night with a gun in his hand.

These areas are primarily made up of hard-working, church-going Caribbean folks. But the youngsters can be a problem.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:49 AM

4,827 posts, read 6,935,656 times
I judge an area like this: If I can feel safe walking down the street after 11pm with my purse and not feel that I'm going to be jumped, mugged, or raped, then it's a decent neighborhood. Hollis, QV, etc are NOT good neighborhoods. It's unfortunate, but the bad overruns the good.

Now, can we get back on the topic of Racist Long Island?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,830,789 times
Yes...

and the biggest racist hate crime on Long Island is so forgotten...

this is real racism...planned and carried out by a hater...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_F...(mass_murderer)

Old 12-04-2013, 11:04 AM

4,542 posts, read 4,468,918 times
I think in blue collar neighborhoods that has long term homeowners they are mainly fearful of property values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or