U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 PM

530 posts, read 1,003,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Yes...

and the biggest racist hate crime on Long Island is so forgotten...

this is real racism...planned and carried out by a hater...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_F...(mass_murderer)
That man didn't even live in Nassau or Suffolk, he was a Jamaican-born man who lived in New York City. He has nothing to do with Black Long Islanders and had no connection with LI (besides deciding to randomly choose that area for his act).

I'm not trying to justify his behavior but that can't be used in a [clear] attempt to paint black long islanders as more racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 12:16 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,376,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
That man wasn't even a Long Island resident, he was a Jamaican-born man who lived in New York City. He has nothing to do with Black Long Islanders.
Not to mention he was insane. He wanted to represent himself at his trial. That wasn't a hate crime, that was a psychologically deranged individual shooting up a train. It had nothing to do with race.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:21 PM

3,445 posts, read 4,784,216 times
Wrong..he was targeting white people.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 PM

4,823 posts, read 6,859,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Not to mention he was insane. He wanted to represent himself at his trial. That wasn't a hate crime, that was a psychologically deranged individual shooting up a train. It had nothing to do with race.

It absolutely had to do with race. Of course, he was deranged, psychotic, paranoid, etc, but he specifically targeted White people AND made sure not to start shooting until he was over the border into Nassau County because Dinkins was Mayor and he didn't want his acts to reflect on a Black Mayor.(he said that himself)

He thought ALL Whites were against him and plotting against him, etc.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:43 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,376,657 times
I get what you are saying, and it was horrific, but I dont think someone with his mental capacity could be accused of a hate crime. It could have been against people named Maurice and it would still be the work of a mad man. Much different than teenagers in a gang beating up a hispanic cause he's hispanic, or a group of black people randomly picking a white person to beat up, etc....JMO

Old 12-04-2013, 12:48 PM

221 posts, read 535,565 times
I see it both ways. Ferguson was nuts (anyone who kills is) AND a racist. Neither can be denied.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:50 PM

4,823 posts, read 6,859,056 times
Quote:
I get what you are saying, and it was horrific, but I dont think someone with his mental capacity could be accused of a hate crime. It could have been against people named Maurice and it would still be the work of a mad man. Much different than teenagers in a gang beating up a hispanic cause he's hispanic, or a group of black people randomly picking a white person to beat up, etc....JMO

You're right. He was paranoid, psychotic, etc and I can see what you're saying. He planned the whole thing out, though, and he was highly intelligent. I guess he crossed the line from genius to madman. It happens. (and you're right about it being completely different than the teenagers who were targeting hispanics)

We won't have to worry much about Colin Ferguson, though. He's not eligible for parole until August, 2309. Yes, two thousand, three-oh-nine.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:53 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,495,781 times
Quote:
Absolutely false. In this day and age when everyone has reliable resources right at their fingertips, it's amazing to me how someone can so blatantly spew false information.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:01 PM

4,084 posts, read 7,124,521 times
Ummmm, no hate here. Must need more Chick-fil-A.
Quote:
In late 1990, Ferguson transferred to Adelphi University in Garden City, where he majored in business administration.[3] Ferguson spoke out against coexistence with whites and routinely made calls for violence and revolution. Ferguson regularly accused others around him of racism, even as the result of entirely unremarkable encounters. During one occasion, Ferguson complained that a white woman in the library shouted racial epithets at him after he asked her about a class assignment. An investigation concluded the incident never occurred. Later, Ferguson attended a symposium by a faculty member discussing her experiences in South Africa. Ferguson interrupted the professor by shouting, "We should be talking about the revolution in South Africa and how to get rid of the white people"[10] and "Kill everybody white!"[5] When students and teachers tried to quiet him, Ferguson started threatening them, repeatedly saying, "The black revolution will get you."[10] He was suspended from the school in June 1991 as a result of the threats,[10] and although he was free to reapply after the suspension, he chose not to do so.[3]

Old 12-04-2013, 01:14 PM

43 posts, read 37,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Ummmm, no hate here. Must need more Chick-fil-A.
I feel you're atleast a 3 day a week fil-a. Kick the habit and return to LI. Many bagels / pizza awaits your return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or