U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,687 times

Advertisements

Interesting discussion. What are the Huntington Station and Jericho neighborhood's like when it comes to accepting people of color, including mixed race couples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 05:10 PM

9,460 posts, read 10,992,175 times
Fergie hated whitey. Fact. I knew one of the victims.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 PM

4,823 posts, read 6,861,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Fergie hated whitey. Fact. I knew one of the victims.

You knowing one of the victims has nothing to do with whether or not CF was racist.

Of COURSE he hated Whites. However, on the other end of it, he was psychotic, deranged, paranoid, likely schizophrenic, had a persecution complex, etc etc etc. He made a calculated plan to do what he did on the LIRR --- including holding off on the first shot until AFTER the train was out of the NYC limits and in Nassau County.

Genius/Crazy. VERY fine line.

His case has many, many layers to it. It is a completely different story than that group of teens going out and targeting hispanics for fun.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:15 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,233,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
Interesting discussion. What are the Huntington Station and Jericho neighborhood's like when it comes to accepting people of color, including mixed race couples?
Considering Huntington Station is 36.7% Hispanic and 10.0% Black, accepting people of color is a non-issue.

Jericho is almost one-quarter Asian (mostly Indian), so that shouldn't be an issue either.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,684,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
It absolutely had to do with race. Of course, he was deranged, psychotic, paranoid, etc, but he specifically targeted White people AND made sure not to start shooting until he was over the border into Nassau County because Dinkins was Mayor and he didn't want his acts to reflect on a Black Mayor.(he said that himself)

He thought ALL Whites were against him and plotting against him, etc.
Interesting reading on the Colin Ferguson case:
Colin Ferguson Trial: 1995 - Judge, York, Murder, and Court - JRank Articles

Old 12-06-2013, 07:24 PM

429 posts, read 629,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You knowing one of the victims has nothing to do with whether or not CF was racist.

Of COURSE he hated Whites. However, on the other end of it, he was psychotic, deranged, paranoid, likely schizophrenic, had a persecution complex, etc etc etc. He made a calculated plan to do what he did on the LIRR --- including holding off on the first shot until AFTER the train was out of the NYC limits and in Nassau County.

Genius/Crazy. VERY fine line.

His case has many, many layers to it. It is a completely different story than that group of teens going out and targeting hispanics for fun.
I understand what you're saying - he was mentally ill. But why throw in the term "Genius"? What about his plotting/actions were "Genius"? Anyone could theoretically carry a gun onto the LIRR with them and shoot anyone they'd like (sad and scary, but true). It's not like he figured out how to make a high-tech bomb and strapped it to the train and then detonated it from a remote location.

Genius? I think not. Ill and insane, sure. Racist? Most DEFINITELY. Any act that is racially-charged is a hate crime. Anyone that believes their race is superior to others is racist. He was just the worst kind of racist - the kind that acted on it.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 PM

429 posts, read 629,436 times
Also, I saw this today and thought it was pertinent:

Judge Rules Garden City Broke Fair Housing Act | Long Island Press

Old 12-07-2013, 08:16 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,684,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
Also, I saw this today and thought it was pertinent:

Judge Rules Garden City Broke Fair Housing Act | Long Island Press

Garden City Loses Housing-Law Case - WSJ.com

Quote:
"Basically, what it's telling municipal governments like the Village of Garden City is that you can't use zoning as a weapon to exclude housing that would be occupied by minorities," said Stanley Brown, the plaintiffs' attorney.
Isn't insinuating that the housing would be occupied by minorities, in and of itself, racist? Are there no poor white or white Hispanic families who would benefit from affordable housing?

Quote:
"The village's decision was made based on legitimate concerns over increased traffic congestion, parking, school and public service impacts and population density," village officials said in a statement.

The decision stems from a case dating back to 2005, when the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or Acorn, sued Garden City after the village stymied a plan to build 311 apartments on a 25-acre plot of Nassau County-owned land.

The village, facing a public outcry, scrapped a zoning plan that would have allowed multifamily housing on the site, and opted instead for zoning rules that allowed single-family houses. Eventually, the county dropped plans to sell the site.
The village opted for single family housing as opposed to multi-family in an effort to alleiviate any perceived impacts on public services, et. al. Since when is offering single family homes discriminatory?

Seeing as the COUNTY dropped plans to sell the site, why are is MHA going after Garden City?

My question is this -- if strong arm tactics can be used in Garden City, how long is it before groups like MHA set their sight on other incorporated villages using race (as opposed to income) claiming they are discriminating and not offering affordable housing?

Old 12-07-2013, 09:51 AM

855 posts, read 1,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Garden City Loses Housing-Law Case - WSJ.com

Isn't insinuating that the housing would be occupied by minorities, in and of itself, racist? Are there no poor white or white Hispanic families who would benefit from affordable housing?

The village opted for single family housing as opposed to multi-family in an effort to alleiviate any perceived impacts on public services, et. al. Since when is offering single family homes discriminatory?

Seeing as the COUNTY dropped plans to sell the site, why are is MHA going after Garden City?

My question is this -- if strong arm tactics can be used in Garden City, how long is it before groups like MHA set their sight on other incorporated villages using race (as opposed to income) claiming they are discriminating and not offering affordable housing?
Island park is in a similar situation from A HUD program from the 80's. A lawsuit is being settled now supposedly and the current residents might by on the hook for a 200M settlement.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:35 AM

4,823 posts, read 6,861,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
I understand what you're saying - he was mentally ill. But why throw in the term "Genius"? What about his plotting/actions were "Genius"? Anyone could theoretically carry a gun onto the LIRR with them and shoot anyone they'd like (sad and scary, but true). It's not like he figured out how to make a high-tech bomb and strapped it to the train and then detonated it from a remote location.

Genius? I think not. Ill and insane, sure. Racist? Most DEFINITELY. Any act that is racially-charged is a hate crime. Anyone that believes their race is superior to others is racist. He was just the worst kind of racist - the kind that acted on it.

I didn't say his plotting or actions were "genius". My point was/is that you have people who are extremely intelligent/genius --- they can very easily cross the line over into insanity. Don't tell me you've never heard this before???? Similar to there being a very fine line between love/hate.

The bottom line is, he was a very intelligent man. However, he lapsed over the edge into insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or