U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:42 PM

863 posts, read 1,674,472 times

Advertisements

I can understand the numbers coming out of Brooklyn with the neighborhoods dynamics colliding, however how do we explain the numbers in Suffolk.

See Which Downstate County Has the Most Hate Crimes in New York - Police & Fire - New Hyde Park, NY Patch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 10:58 PM

334 posts, read 716,168 times
I never quite understood the concept of "hate crimes." A crime is a crime. It should be prosecuted as such. To try to assign a specific thought in the perps mind seems to be a stretch. Someone commits murder because he doesn't like your personality(not a hate crime). Someone commits murder because he doesn't like your race(hate crime). Result is still the same. There is a dead person, and someone is responsible. Sentence should be the same.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:59 PM

7,936 posts, read 9,611,039 times
Way.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:53 PM

5,045 posts, read 3,764,049 times
They probably count crap like someone spray painting swastikas on walls as hate crimes.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:51 AM

1,201 posts, read 809,330 times
The term hate crime may be silly to some. I for one understand the difference. targeting a group based on preconceived notions instead of an individual due to an altercation is a big difference. some people just refuse to call a spade a spade and accept the wrong doings of their classification.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:35 AM

3,445 posts, read 4,484,801 times
This is so unimportant

Old 11-20-2013, 08:16 AM

4,807 posts, read 6,386,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
I can understand the numbers coming out of Brooklyn with the neighborhoods dynamics colliding, however how do we explain the numbers in Suffolk.

See Which Downstate County Has the Most Hate Crimes in New York - Police & Fire - New Hyde Park, NY Patch

Are you really surprised???? Lonk Islant is full of NIMBYs who will proudly claim "I don't care what color your skin is or where you're from" or " I don't see color" or any such nonsense. However, have a black family move in and they're all up in arms, worrying about their property value going down or all the crime the black family will bring. Or they get suspicious is they see a black person walking down their street or in a parking lot or whatever.

I had a friend (white) who was dating a black dude. They decided to move in together. They were both decent, working people. They rented a house in a white neighborhood. They had rocks thrown through their windows, "n-----s go home" spray painted", and a bomb threat against them. All in a nice, Lonk Islant neighborhood. No, no racism on LI at all!

Lonk Islant is about as racist as you're going to get. Nothing surprising about that article at all.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:18 AM

4,807 posts, read 6,386,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajimenez View Post
I never quite understood the concept of "hate crimes." A crime is a crime. It should be prosecuted as such. To try to assign a specific thought in the perps mind seems to be a stretch. Someone commits murder because he doesn't like your personality(not a hate crime). Someone commits murder because he doesn't like your race(hate crime). Result is still the same. There is a dead person, and someone is responsible. Sentence should be the same.

Because there are people who will go out specifically to target people of a certain race just to perpetrate a crime on them as in the case of the hispanic dude who was murdered by a group of white thugs who were specifically targeting hispanics.

No, it doesn't make anyone more or less dead or whatever but the act of targeting someone ONLY because they are white/black/hispanic/asian should carry extra penalties.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 AM

7,845 posts, read 9,394,682 times
This article doesn't mean anything. All it states is hate crimes that were "reported". I can report a hate crime because someone keeps looking at me the wrong way.

I think what's important is the outcome of those reported crimes such as prosecutions. I also find it odd that in Nassau County the number of reported hate crimes dropped significantly.

Those stats seem off. Queens nearly doubled since 2008? I find that hard to believe. If crime increased I don't believe it to be due to "hate" crimes. Queens has changed considerably over the years but I wouldn't attribute the increase based on hate.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 AM

1,201 posts, read 809,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
This article doesn't mean anything. All it states is hate crimes that were "reported". I can report a hate crime because someone keeps looking at me the wrong way.

I think what's important is the outcome of those reported crimes such as prosecutions. I also find it odd that in Nassau County the number of reported hate crimes dropped significantly.

Those stats seem off. Queens nearly doubled since 2008? I find that hard to believe. If crime increased I don't believe it to be due to "hate" crimes. Queens has changed considerably over the years but I wouldn't attribute the increase based on hate.
So in other words you dont believe the stats but didnt provide any substance to discredit them? Gotcha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island