U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2006, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,982 times
Default Wading River N.Y.

My family lives in Wading River N.Y. and I am thinking about moving there. My concerns are, schools for my chilidren and of course jobs. I currently live in another state and work in an electrical engineering department of my company. Are there electronic companies in the Wading River area and what are average commute times to these jobs. thanks
HJQR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 01:53 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,706,796 times
I live in Wading River but in a different zip code. Its beautiful & sort of rural for Long Island. Shoreham-wading river schools get very high marks, the property taxes are quite high too. There isn't really any industry besides retail & some agriculture in W.R., but there is some in calverton(next town). There is also the Brookhaven National Lab, in Upton. I don't know anything about your field so I'm not sure about specific demands for jobs, maybe someone else can help you more. Would you be buying a home or renting?

Old 02-03-2013, 03:15 PM

10,489 posts, read 8,136,204 times
I like Wading River and Shoreham Wading River has a good school district. It's pretty reasonable by Long Island standards, with large property and a rural flavor.

When I last lived on Long Island we liver in Stony Brook on the East Setauket border. I went to church at Trinity Lutheran in Rocky Point because it was the only Lutheran church around with a vibrant congregation and things for kids to do. Many people in that church lived in the Shoreham - Wading River area and spoke highly of it.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 PM

1,067 posts, read 936,085 times
Wow, this is awesome!

Another post from the '06 collection. It's vintage.

Actually Shoreham-Wading River was the place to be back in the '70s and '80s. Lilco was building the nuke plant there and it meant huge tax revenue for SWR. The schools were incredibly well funded, meaning the quality of the programs were among the best on LI.

Fast forward to today, and the nuke plant has been mothballed now for decades, LIPA took over and is under extreme political pressure and the revenue has dried up. SWR is as broke as any municipality on LI.

Of course, you can still find a nice sized lot there with a low crime rate. But yes, SWR is just like the rest of LI, waiting to hit rock bottom in an ever declining economic environment.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:14 PM

8,057 posts, read 7,702,809 times
The best that I can tell you to do is check jobs on careerbuilder, indeed, monster, snagajob, and any other site you can think of. Post your resume and from there you can check the proximity based on your offers. Wading River is very nice but it might be a little further east to the jobs. Potential areas for work would probably be hauppauge, farmingdale/melville, unless you can get into the brookhaven national lab. Their site is Brookhaven National Laboratory - A Passion for Discovery

Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,166,426 times
Just as a point of fact, part of WR is in the Town of Riverhead and goes to the lesser Riverhead SD.

It's generally reflected in the price of the home.
If it looks too good to be true....it's probably in RSD and may have well water.

I would check the whole corridor from Mt Sinai-SWR.
Schools are all fairly good.

Crooks.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM

999 posts, read 1,117,358 times
wow this is hysterical... im sure he needs this info RIGHT NOW..... hammer!!!

10-18-2006, 12:03 PM lmfao

I hope he didn't get sucked into this dead end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island