Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:57 PM

1,308 posts, read 1,664,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Is it lower simply because of the numbers ... as in the better ranking high schools send MORE applicants than the lower ranking high schools send to top colleges or does the "brand" value of the better ranking high school make the top colleges choose students from that school over a lower ranking high school?
Good point. The data I have seen would not allow that question to be answered nor estimated. If schools opened up their Naviance subscriptions that would be a treasure trove of data to compare schools and decide how much weight the brand value of the school has.

From my own personal experience as a parent of a college applying teen I think it is mind-boggling the number of graduates Jericho and Manhassett send to HYPS, equivalent to Groton, Exeter, etc... I am sure some of it is a result of more discretionary income applied to test preparation and tutoring, but having a child who has gone through the SAT process those expenditures only buy you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 01:39 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Good point. The data I have seen would not allow that question to be answered nor estimated. If schools opened up their Naviance subscriptions that would be a treasure trove of data to compare schools and decide how much weight the brand value of the school has.

From my own personal experience as a parent of a college applying teen I think it is mind-boggling the number of graduates Jericho and Manhassett send to HYPS, equivalent to Groton, Exeter, etc... I am sure some of it is a result of more discretionary income applied to test preparation and tutoring, but having a child who has gone through the SAT process those expenditures only buy you so much.
Don't forget about family and other connections. Parents who went to HYPS themselves are more likely to be living in areas like Jericho and Manhasset, and their kids, as legacies, have a significant leg up in the admissions process at those schools.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Don't forget about family and other connections. Parents who went to HYPS themselves are more likely to be living in areas like Jericho and Manhasset, and their kids, as legacies, have a significant leg up in the admissions process at those schools.
Legacy is a factor but not a major one. Almost all colleges provide very detailed information about their applicant pool and acceptances.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:52 PM

342 posts, read 1,094,217 times
Legacy doesn't matter that much anymore, unless that legacy comes with a "brand" name and purse strings to match. I also don't think you can look at acceptanes at HPY as a methodology for determining how good a HS is. However, if you widen that up to % of students accepted at top 50 universities, you can get a very good indication of the educational climate of a particular HS. Which HS is best for your child is still dependant on so many independant factors. You make the best choices you can at the time and then maximize your opportunities from then on.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
I also don't think you can look at acceptances at HPY as a methodology for determining how good a HS is.
True, but the same analysis holds further on down the rankings list.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 AM

167 posts, read 305,520 times
We are finding ourselves in the same predicament and moving to a better SD is probably what we are going to do.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:53 PM

191 posts, read 516,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
I went to one of the worst school districts on Long Island, and I and all of my friends from high school are successful professionals* - no one has less than a Master's, and many of us are graduates of Ivy League and similar caliber schools. If you're cultivating an educational environment at home, they'll succeed regardless of the district, and your kids will be better off having a diversity of experiences that come with having some disposable income to do things like enroll them in science camp or violin lessons or whatever they're into. (Also, from a college admissions standpoint, the kid who's valedictorian of Middle Country is much more likely to get attention from select programs then the kid who's only top 25% at a place like Three Village - your kid is better off being a rockstar in a mediocre district, rather than a mediocre kid from a rockstar district, in that sense.)

Last issue to think about - how old are your kids? A friend of mine was relocated to a neighboring "blue ribbon" district for high school, and had an extremely difficult time socially because of how the other kids treated her for being from "bad" area. The negative repercussions of that have followed her into adulthood. If your kids are happy and thriving in Middle Country, I'd say leave it alone.

*This, of course, wasn't the "average" outcome for everyone in the district, my friends were honors students, but the point is, anyone I know of who came from a home with parents who were involved and placed a premium on education did just fine.

Forgive me for being so forward but, I'm just curious what school district did you grow up in?

Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Teacher View Post
Education starts at home young man. Your answer lies in your second paragraph.
100% agree. If you are doing right by your children at home and raising good kids, then an average school will be fine and you'll be able to provide more financially for your family. That's always better than struggling. Also a district like middle country is not a significant drop off from one like Three Village. Yes, Three Village is very good but MC is not the bottom of the barrel in anyone's eyes.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 AM

167 posts, read 305,520 times
Bump because this is such a great thread. It might help some parents questioning their SD.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:10 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
I've said in a few other threads it also matters who their peers are (influence by peers with like-minded responsible parents) and what their extracurricular opportunities are also. Better school districts are better in those regards. What it comes down to is giving your kids the best chance to succeed as long as you are still living comfortably. Otherwise you may as well go elsewhere and escape the high COL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island