Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 04:51 PM

886 posts, read 2,646,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensKid View Post
You want good news? Reuters, NPR, and Al-Jazeera are the three best.
This is hysterical. Reuters...maybe. NPR & Al-Jazeera? Excuse me while I laugh. That would be like me saying if you want good news read infowars, dailycaller and truthrevolt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 12:31 PM

224 posts, read 675,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
This is hysterical. Reuters...maybe. NPR & Al-Jazeera? Excuse me while I laugh. That would be like me saying if you want good news read infowars, dailycaller and truthrevolt.
So... what's your source of news?

I forgot to mention BBC; also very good.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,553 times
I get my news from The Onion, High Times and World News Report.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:29 PM

295 posts, read 345,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
I don't understand how this point is even debateable. Putting aside whether you are a Democrat or Republican, Liberal or Conservative if you think msnbc, fox news or CNN are not more entertainment than news, the they really got you hook line and sinker.

I would disagree with queenskid in that I would rank CNN the better of the 3 in being neutral.

News that is reported that is actually news worthy and without opinion is always a challenge but would say is best from npr BBC and al-Jazeera USA

Old 12-03-2013, 03:32 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
I get my news from The Onion, High Times and World News Report.
No Colbert Report or is that too biased?

Old 12-03-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal24 View Post
News that is reported that is actually news worthy and without opinion is always a challenge but would say is best from npr BBC and al-Jazeera USA
I read almost daily Aljazeera English (NOT Aljazeera America) , Jpost, Pravda, WSJ and Drudge. Drudge is great because you can access ALL news sites not just the right/left jaded sites. Everything though nowadays is suspect to opinion of the journalist and editors.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:38 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
It's interesting that so many on here think highly of al-Jazeera as a news source. I have never even thought of looking at it. What is the difference between al-Jazeera English and al-Jazeera America?

Old 12-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Aljazeera English is Aljazeera translated (almost) while Aljazeera America is a mix of MSNBC/Yahoo and People magazine.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:38 PM

224 posts, read 675,680 times
I didn't say CNN wasn't neutral, I said CNN sensationalizes its stories to death. They also waste time on idiotic things like spending several hours discussing Michelle Obama's wardrobe.

Go to CNN.com the next time there's a big breaking news story. You'll see the the headline on font 30 and flashing across the screen as if it's sounding an alarm.

As a matter of fact, let me go there RIGHT NOW...

Let's see...

Main headline? "PAUL WALKER DIED FROM TRAUMA, FIRE"

Next big headline? "41 WHALES TRAPPED"

The third bullet point story is "BEAR MAULS WOMAN WALKING DOGS"

Look, I get it. FOX dominates TV News. It's not even close. Of the Top 10 news programs on TV, FOX might have nine or all 10 of them. Thus, to compete, CNN has to do SOMETHING... Anderson Cooper looking like he's going to cry, additional soundbites from the crazy guy in Cleveland who found the kidnappers, etc--anything with just enough of a twist to get just a little bit more juice. How about having a hologram of rapper Will I. Am reporting on election night? What the hell was that about? They had Chris Tucker on talking about Obama's dance moves.

I care more about the information than I do the storytelling. I find that in NPR (radio), Al-Jazeera (international), BBC (UK) and Reuters (U.S.). Wall Street Journal is good too. I enjoy The Economist and The Atlantic as well.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:03 PM

41 WHALES TRAPPED? Who locked the door from the outside at Curves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island