Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you work in Long Island or NYC?
Long Island 7 41.18%
NYC 10 58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
I read somewhere that people on their deathbed have had one common regret: they WORKED too much, saw the kids too little and woke up too late.

I'm sure I will feel that way in the end as well, but in order to afford the high cost of living on LI, you really don't have too many alternatives. Of course, we can leave.
Yeah, they can always throw up another cheap exurb in the endless scrub lands circling East Jesus so you can join the other car commuters:

I-45, Houston, TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 03:22 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Many companies bring in outside IT help in the form of h1b contractors. They can pay below market for the lesser skilled indian consultants. It's a practice that is rampant on LI, as companies here try to slash costs at any cost.
What are you basing this on other than h1b contractors exist?

Old 12-14-2013, 03:25 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yeah, they can always throw up another cheap exurb in the endless scrub lands circling East Jesus so you can join the other car commuters:

I-45, Houston, TX
Wow. That is terrifying. (Guess ex-pat-ing to Texas is off the table for me - I'll take a seat on the LIRR over enormous piles of traffic any day of the week, although I'm generally anti-driving and also live on one of the less-crowded train lines so I always have a seat on the LIRR.)

Old 12-14-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Wow. That is terrifying. (Guess ex-pat-ing to Texas is off the table for me - I'll take a seat on the LIRR over enormous piles of traffic any day of the week, although I'm generally anti-driving and also live on one of the less-crowded train lines so I always have a seat on the LIRR.)
In all fairness to Texas, it's a big state, so it's not all like that for traffic, but Houston does have a special place in traffic hell:

Traffic town: Houston one of worst cities in U.S. for commuter pain - CultureMap Houston

Alas, Austin, another "darling" of the Texas cities to relocate to, is also catching up quick in the traffic hell category:

In ranking of worst U.S. traffic, Austin is up with N.Y. and L.A. - Houston Chronicle

Doesn't matter to me, as I wouldn't want to live in Texas anyway with its crooked ways such as its well known indiscriminate death penalty "fry 'em all the time" policy for the poor and unconnected versus the "affluenza" defense for a rich and connected white boy who killed four and only gets counselling as a punishment on the actual basis that he is rich and connected (what a defense, eh, and it worked in Texas, where else, they should be ashamed instead of celebrating, but they have no soul), its horrible and disgusting climate of HEAT, and its "looking up women's vaginas where you don't belong are a key part of politics" such as its crazy and harsh abortion laws, which they just keep making crazier and harsher.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
In all fairness to Texas, it's a big state, so it's not all like that for traffic, but Houston does have a special place in traffic hell:

Traffic town: Houston one of worst cities in U.S. for commuter pain - CultureMap Houston

Alas, Austin, another "darling" of the Texas cities to relocate to, is also catching up quick in the traffic hell category:

In ranking of worst U.S. traffic, Austin is up with N.Y. and L.A. - Houston Chronicle

Doesn't matter to me, as I wouldn't want to live in Texas anyway with its crooked ways such as its well known indiscriminate death penalty "fry 'em all the time" policy for the poor and unconnected versus the "affluenza" defense for a rich and connected white boy who killed four and only gets counselling as a punishment on the actual basis that he is rich and connected (what a defense, eh, and it worked in Texas, where else, they should be ashamed instead of celebrating, but they have no soul), its horrible and disgusting climate of HEAT, and its "looking up women's vaginas where you don't belong are a key part of politics" such as its crazy and harsh abortion laws, which they just keep making crazier and harsher.
Not to go off-topic, since we know that's against the TOS, but the "affluenza" verdict was shocking and so sad for the families of those poor people that young man killed.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Not to go off-topic, since we know that's against the TOS, but the "affluenza" verdict was shocking and so sad for the families of those poor people that young man killed.
Affluenza = total junk "science" = just another way of saying let him off because he is a hedonistic spoiled brat with entitlement issues and it is all his parents' fault because they never set any boundaries. How about putting the parents in jail instead then? Oh no! Of course not! LOL!

What's really sad in this case is that it isn't a stupid jury being snookered by the defense (a la Casey Anthony, etc.) like Florida is famous for, but it's a JUDGE being snookered! Texas and Florida. Two Hellholes!

Old 12-14-2013, 07:43 PM

622 posts, read 852,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
What are you basing this on other than h1b contractors exist?
Go to any job board on the internet and look for yourself. Most of the jobs, whether they be in corporate accounting or IT, pay for nothing. Yeah, there's the occassional outlier, it's either a come-on or receives so many resumes, the employer can afford to cut the comp. Basically, there are so few corporate entities left on LI, it's a buyers' market.

Dentists and doctors on LI do make more than their coounter parts in NYC, though.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:00 AM

18 posts, read 97,551 times
Quote:
Many companies bring in outside IT help in the form of h1b contractors. They can pay below market for the lesser skilled indian consultants. It's a practice that is rampant on LI, as companies here try to slash costs at any cost.

Unfortunately, this kind of kills your hypothesis that many companies are need of IT. And if you want to be able to live the good life, own your own home with a pool and pay those LI property taxes, you will most likely have to venture into the City. Oh, and commuting to the city, while a black hole for time, will not increase your taxes at this time.

You get taxed for living in LI and working in the city, commonly called a city tax.

There are consulting companies for IT all over LI, check out the Melville/Farmingdale Area.

You don't seem to have much knowledge or facts to support any of your claims.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanflash View Post
You get taxed for living in LI and working in the city, commonly called a city tax.

There are consulting companies for IT all over LI, check out the Melville/Farmingdale Area.

You don't seem to have much knowledge or facts to support any of your claims.
That is not correct. The city tax is paid by RESIDENTS of NYC, regardless of where they work; workers who are NOT RESIDENTS of NYC do not pay the tax, regardless of where they work. (The only exception to this is people who work directly for the City of NY - if you work for the City of NY, you pay the city income tax regardless of where you live.)

Old 12-16-2013, 08:15 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,269 times
Quote:
That is not correct. The city tax is paid by RESIDENTS of NYC, regardless of where they work; workers who are NOT RESIDENTS of NYC do not pay the tax, regardless of where they work. (The only exception to this is people who work directly for the City of NY - if you work for the City of NY, you pay the city income tax regardless of where you live.)
Almost correct but, LI residents who work for NYC do not pay city income tax. At one time there was a commuter tax that has since been done away with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island