U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:51 PM

29 posts, read 55,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I have a quesiton for you....why do so many Long Islanders/Tri-state areans think that Upstate NY is the boonies?
OK I use to work in the Catskills at a resort in freehold in the late 60's. It was fun but I only stayed for the summer. My brother lives up in the mountains and I visited him last winter. There is nothing but a little A&P grocery store and a few mom and pop stores. If you want to shop or find a hospital or find any type of entertainment, you have to drive an hour to Oneonta. That to me is the boonies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 10:28 PM

2,846 posts, read 5,869,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom4me View Post
My friends would ask me why Texas? Isn't it all prarie and cowboys? Get real! We have bagel shops, Pizzeria's, targets, Macy's, Lord and Taylors,JCPenny's, big lots, Verizon, every fast food restaurant you can think of.....
I'd rather have the prairie, sounds like any other suburban consumer money trap on planet earth. For the record, 12 packs of soda are $1.99 at King Kullen too.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:29 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,707,417 times
I actually like Texas, I'm not familiar with your area but I spent a lot of time visiting the Laredo area in the 90's. I've heard the border is wide open there now so I doubt I'd enjoy it as much as I did then. We have dear friends that own a large national clothing company & their factory was just over the border. They split their time between LA & Laredo.
One of my bosses retired last year & bought an enormous piece of land in Georgetown near Austin & built himself a killer horse ranch.
The experts say Texas is truly one of the only states left in the US with undervalued home prices.
I'm glad you like it there, however I think you've been away from LI too long to remember the reaction you get from LIers when you accuse them of something negative or talk badly about them collectively.
I'm glad you love your home state, sounds like you made a wise choice.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:22 AM

38 posts, read 110,894 times
Default Ignorance can't be escaped!

I love LI but I can think of at least 20 other places in the USA I would love to live as well. I don't think anywhere outside of NY is boonies however I stay here because I feel, as part of an interracial marriage, that I get less stares and comments in the Tri-State area than I do anywhere else. My husband was called a horrible name by a patron at a restaurant in Houston. I have never heard such a horrible way to describe his ethnicity however that one experience didn't form my opinion of the state (the oppressive heat did!) We also get looks and head shakes in other places we enjoy...Maine, Florida and Virginia amongst them....but we still love these places. The only place we felt no racism was Hawaii!

Bottom line, there are folks everywhere who are "in the dark" and who judge places like LI or Texas on the few people they interact with while they are there and that is just plain ignorant.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 AM

10,525 posts, read 10,598,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
Most people on Long Island have never spent more than two weeks off the "Island", generally Florida, which is one of only two states Long Islanders are allowed to move to. So Texas is scary and unknown and not sneaker and gym outfit friendly. Texas has some sweet guns laws, they could cure crime if we had those on the books. Oops ex that maybe not a good idea in lower NY lol.

Texas Rocks!

It is unfortunately the homogenizing of America as well that Texas needs those things and every state starts to lose its flayva (wiki:Flavor, Character)
That's a pretty ignorant statement. I have been to multiple countries, as well as probably 35 out of the 50 states. Don't you realize that most of the business people out here travel a considerable amount?

You can keep Texas. Maybe I could hack it in Austin, but what I've seen of the rest of the state? No Thanks. Wanna talk about judgemental? I got stared down in Texas walking into a local diner. Probably because I was not dressed like a local. It was 10:30AM and they said breakfast was served till 12... they told me no breakfast was available and sneered at me, while I saw them bring breakfast to other patrons! Really friendly!

Old 11-27-2007, 09:32 AM

15,918 posts, read 24,433,255 times
Dallas is more liberal than Austin these days..

Old 11-27-2007, 09:38 AM

414 posts, read 1,070,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn995 View Post
I love LI but I can think of at least 20 other places in the USA I would love to live as well. I don't think anywhere outside of NY is boonies however I stay here because I feel, as part of an interracial marriage, that I get less stares and comments in the Tri-State area than I do anywhere else. My husband was called a horrible name by a patron at a restaurant in Houston. I have never heard such a horrible way to describe his ethnicity however that one experience didn't form my opinion of the state (the oppressive heat did!) We also get looks and head shakes in other places we enjoy...Maine, Florida and Virginia amongst them....but we still love these places. The only place we felt no racism was Hawaii!

Bottom line, there are folks everywhere who are "in the dark" and who judge places like LI or Texas on the few people they interact with while they are there and that is just plain ignorant.
Lynn, your experience in Houston was as good a definition of 'boonies' as I've ever heard. It's more a state of mind than an actual location. NY'rs for the most part have seen a lot, heard a lot and done a lot. An interracial couple won't faze a true NY'r.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:42 AM

15,918 posts, read 24,433,255 times
Well I know black Texans who have a hard time getting a cab in Manhattan.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:32 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,094,208 times
I live in Vermont now and yes, I admit it is the boonies. But it's near shopping (but I don't have the traffic like Sunrise Hwy going past my house every minute). I can actually go on the hwy on a Saturday and not be caught in north south/east west jam ups.
Try that on Southern State or 111.
It's not Long Island but then again, that's why we moved. (we wanted to live a quiet pace).
Sometimes it is too quiet but you can't have it all.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:28 PM

36 posts, read 75,347 times
Being a LIer (from West Islip w/my family in Sayville) and living in Texas for quite a few years, I can tell you what I know...not all NYkers think it's the boonies, it's merely the way it's potrayed on TV and in movies, which is probably why a lot of people who are not from LI or NY think the crime rate up there is so bad and NYkers are rude. I can tell you, I think NYkers are friendlier than Texans. The person who said they got eye-balled in a local diner...such is the case. Now, it can happen anywhere, but most of my experiences except for who I know personally, are not as friendly whereas we grew up saying hi and being friendly to everyone...they thought I was nuts when I first came here. If I had a nickel for everytime someone says "oh, that's why, you aren't from here originally" - nope and I'm proud to be a NYker. I do love things about Texas and though I live North of Houston because as a single woman making a great salary (which took years to finally find that niche in my field), I can't afford Houston much less The Woodlands. The Woodlands is nice, I go to church there and they do have some nice restaurants, the mall, nice stores, even Katz' deli (but nothing like back home), it's still not LI or NY and it's diversity no matter how much anyone wants to make it out to be. Plus, unless I want to drive 60 miles into Houston (I work there, but my firm pays the commute), I can't find a decent (and it's close to decent) pizza anything like back home!!! There are a lot of things that are great about Texas, it's lakes (I happen to live across from one) the hill country and the small towns (I happen to live in one of those too), but having lived in Florida (South) and even in CO, then to Texas, and I'm 40...every time I go back home I realize I like where I live, but there's nothing like home.

Anyway, since I do ride horses and I do ride as a member on trail rides and I'm even a committeeman volunteering with the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, I get it all the time..."do you milk your own cows?" - I think that's because people have been taught and perceive it that way until they come here. Especially, my brother-in-law who saw the panhandle and thought that's what Texas was like...! There are some pretty parts, but if it weren't for the high cost of living, who would want to leave New York!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island