Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:30 AM

37 posts, read 98,425 times

Advertisements

Yes Plainview is north of Bethpage and when looking at a mapnof the plume Plainview is not near it. If ee do move there I would get a water filtration system for the house.
I have heard the same thing Coney about the Bar/Bat Mizvahs, but as ling as my twins wont be excluded I think it will be ok. Looking at who has been buying in Plainview it seems more diverse. Does anyone know for sure, anyone living in the area?
A friend of mine told us about a landfill on Round Swamp Rd in Old Bethpage, we drove past it yesterday. It has been filled & a huge power tower is in its place. Thats scary to me the radiation it emits. So OB is out of the running for us. Does anyone know of any landfills in Plainview that we should be aware of? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 AM

1,963 posts, read 2,689,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alie621 View Post
Does anyone know of any landfills in Plainview that we should be aware of?
None that I'm aware of.

Before buying our house in Plainview, we came close to buying a house in North Woodmere. What stopped us was that we were told by the inspector that the whole area was built on some sort of landfill (long ago) so the soil was sort of funky.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:31 AM

Thank you Coney! Some posters talk about the water & its nitrate levels. Any info about that? Some ppl think the water here in Queens is so mych better however, we hve floride in iur water which is certainly not goid either. Do ppl put water filtration systems in their homes for the reason to get rid of the nitrates or anything else?
If I can ask Coney do you hve children in the POB schools? If so, how do you find the school district & how do your children like the school? Thanks!

Old 12-30-2013, 03:22 PM

11,538 posts, read 12,562,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alie621 View Post
Thank you Coney! Some posters talk about the water & its nitrate levels. Any info about that? Some ppl think the water here in Queens is so mych better however, we hve floride in iur water which is certainly not goid either. Do ppl put water filtration systems in their homes for the reason to get rid of the nitrates or anything else?
If I can ask Coney do you hve children in the POB schools? If so, how do you find the school district & how do your children like the school? Thanks!
No, I don't have any children in the Plainview schools but I have friends that do or were recent graduates of the high school. My own child went to the HS prom a few years ago as a guest. I also had a friend who worked in the elementary schools as a music teacher. Over the years, I heard some grievances about specific homework assignments or preferences of one teacher over another, a problem with a change in the lunch schedule, but most everyone that I know really thought highly of the schools, the education, and the extra-curricular opportunites. The schools were a reason that my friends wanted to stay in Plainview. The area does seem to be having an increase in the Asian population, as in many places on Long Island and the NY metro area. There are also quite a few "mixed" families, AsianWhite, Catholic/Jewish, White couples with adopted children of another race.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 9,451 times
I grew up in Plainview-Old Bethpage and it's a nice place to live. However, I agree with the person up thread who said there is no sense of community. That's true. Growing up in OB, we knew all of our neighbors and all the kids played with each other, etc. I see that changing now.

Our family was/is blue collar and I can say that I had a hard time keeping up with the kids in school. It was all about who had the best clothes or toys and once I got to middle school it got worse. Plainview has a reputation for being an obnoxious and pretentious community and while I loved growing up here, I can't stay that it is an undeserved reputation. Like the other poster said, spend some time in Shop-Rite in Morton Village and you'll see for yourself.

I am currently looking at houses and can't touch Plainview-Old Bethpage - between the house prices and disgusting taxes, I wouldn't even want to anyway - but I made the decision that even if I could, I would not subject my kids to POB.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:30 PM

35 posts, read 71,709 times
Thank you all for your responses. Lemon yellow sun, if the prices/taxes/people are keeping you from looking in Plainview/ old bethpage, where are you considering? I ask because if there is an area with an excellent school district, with more favorable house prices, I would be interested in hearing. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 AM

In talking to ppl in different NS areas it seems the majority of children tend to be pretentious & even where I am from in Queens it was like that growing up. Thte were tons of kids getting BMWs when they turned 17. Some kids had more thn others.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:02 AM

I think my feelings are that in neighborhoods you have the ppl that will hve more & ppl who hve less. There are good ppl & ppl who you won't associate with in any area. Will my children get a good education, is it a safe neighborhood, is it healthy to live there, & will they meet nice children also? If so, then it's worth the money to me. Idk maybe I am in the dark or missing a neighborhood?

Old 12-31-2013, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 9,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn-Qns-Nassau View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Lemon yellow sun, if the prices/taxes/people are keeping you from looking in Plainview/ old bethpage, where are you considering? I ask because if there is an area with an excellent school district, with more favorable house prices, I would be interested in hearing. Thanks.
Bklyn-Queens-Nassau, we have only just started the search so it's still a work in progress. Plainview mailing with Bethpage schools is on our list, as are Massapequa, Merrick, and Bellmore.

Don't get me wrong, POB is safe with good schools, etc. But to us, it is not worth it - paying 550-575k for a 3-bedroom split on top of paying 12-14k in taxes is just not feasible. That in itself is sad, as we are two professionals with good jobs and decent salaries. I understand that taxes on LI are way too high across the board, but knowing what my parents pay in taxes for their house in Plainview and what people are shelling out for houses in the neighborhood, I don't think it's worth it when I know what I can get in other places. We will still be overpaying in taxes, but won't have to spend almost 600K on a house.

Relocating to another state may be an option, but is not something we are willing to consider right now as both our families are here and we want family around for when we have our own.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:25 AM

283 posts, read 578,304 times
Moved from queens to POB a few years ago. We do like it here, but not sure I love it, if that makes sense. I'm also starting to question if the taxes are worth it, because they seriously go up every year. We've met a lot of great people here, but at the same time the middle aged / older population, grrrrr. Visit shoprite like a PP mentioned. It can be infuriating! My kids are very young so it's easy for us to decide who they play with, no peer pressure , etc As far as schools, we love my child's k teacher, but think I will have a better idea of what we will do (stay or move ) when my kid starts his zoned elementary school.

I suggest visiting the markets and the area several times to see how you feel. As for out of state, a lot of our city coworkers / friends chose jersey and CT over LI and claim to love the towns , schools, and their neighbors. May be something to consider if you work in the city

gl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island