Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:32 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
My son experienced an incident that could labeled as "bullying," or it could have been called "kidding." The school took swift action and kept us up to speed, without violating the privacy rights of the offender (i.e., his punishment).
We had bullying in school all the time - now it's just gotten more attention with how pervasive it can get these days, not to mention suicides as a result. Nothing was really done back then, but it's good to hear the schools do take action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonyellowsun View Post
When I look at schools in my own home search, I rely on much more than straight-up test rankings from websites. Funny how many people say test scores should not determine a teacher's capabilities but test scores can determine what is a "great" school district.
Absolutely you should use more than school rankings when determining your new town (good enough is perfectly fine too), but I was only addressing school A vs. school B since the other guy brought it up.

For my money, I need something tangible to compare with, so test scores and graduation rates are it. I would only generalize that a district is better than another district, not down to a teacher's level. Speaking figuratively, when you have a district with 85% of the kids meeting standards in one subject vs another district only getting 70% of kids to pass the same material, that's what matters. Not saying you can't get that in Bethpage, but you're going to get a better rate of success in a Plainview or Syosset.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-06-2014 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 9,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
We had bullying in school all the time - now it's just gotten more attention with how pervasive it can get these days, not to mention suicides as a result. Nothing was really done back then, but it's good to hear the schools do take action.

Absolutely you should use more than school rankings when determining your new town (good enough is perfectly fine too), but I was only addressing school A vs. school B since the other guy brought it up.

For my money, I need something tangible to compare with, so test scores and graduation rates are it. I would only generalize that a district is better than another district, not down to a teacher's level. Speaking figuratively, when you have a district with 85% of the kids meeting standards in one subject vs another district only getting 70% of kids to pass the same material, it matters.
And as someone with personal experience in both districts mentioned in this thread, I can say that there was not a difference in the education I received in either of them. I would recommend both of them to anyone.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonyellowsun View Post
And as someone with personal experience in both districts mentioned in this thread, I can say that there was not a difference in the education I received in either of them. I would recommend both of them to anyone.
Understood - like someone with good experience and anecdotal stories with Nissans for 20 years can say the same thing but statistics would show they are not as dependable as they experience themselves.

Buyers like statistics too. Just let people decide after we present all the details. We don't even know if you attended POB/JFK high but you probably recall Bethpage HS very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking to move to Plainview-capture.jpg  

Last edited by ovi8; 01-06-2014 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 02:28 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn-Qns-Nassau View Post
I'm looking for a nice, safe town, with an excellent school district.
I always laugh when we focus on school districts. Never the lowest, but what's wrong with the middle of the range. My neighbor has a daughter who graduated from Lindenhurst HS, top of her class, went on to Stony Brook for undergrad. and just started Hofstra Med. a couple of months ago. It's not Harvard, but really, you still have to call her Dr. soon She's more down to earth because of her mid. class upbringing, and that'll probably make her a more understanding doc.

So, to the OP, a good place could be Babylon for ya. The Babylon train is one of the best, with a 50 min. express to NYC. Great downtown, and close to shopping and beaches. Another spot we like is Massapequa, same train. BTW, $500K buys a lot of house here nowadays. I'd also rec. Rockville Centre, but I think prices are higher.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:22 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I always laugh when we focus on school districts. Never the lowest, but what's wrong with the middle of the range. My neighbor has a daughter who graduated from Lindenhurst HS, top of her class, went on to Stony Brook for undergrad. and just started Hofstra Med. a couple of months ago. It's not Harvard, but really, you still have to call her Dr. soon She's more down to earth because of her mid. class upbringing, and that'll probably make her a more understanding doc.

So, to the OP, a good place could be Babylon for ya. The Babylon train is one of the best, with a 50 min. express to NYC. Great downtown, and close to shopping and beaches. Another spot we like is Massapequa, same train. BTW, $500K buys a lot of house here nowadays. I'd also rec. Rockville Centre, but I think prices are higher.
Prices are MUCH higher - there's basically no inventory below the $500K mark in RVC.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
A child doesn't have to attend a high rated school district in order to obtain an excellent education and go onto a great college. It's just my opinion, and I think the opinion of many others, that the odds are better for success at higher rated school districts.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:15 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times
Quote:
A child doesn't have to attend a high rated school district in order to obtain an excellent education and go onto a great college. It's just my opinion, and I think the opinion of many others, that the odds are better for success at higher rated school districts.
OK, makes sense. I guess my main point for the OP is that school district is important, but shouldn't be as high on the list as many on LI make it. There are so many considerations about a community to live in, and the expectations and community norms can make or break the daily experience, apart from test scores. Even Wantagh where I grew up, it's just about mid range for test scores also, and for the OP, you'd get a more balanced religious mix, less hyped pressure in the SD, good train, highways, beach, etc. compared to Plainview. Stay north of Sunrise because flooding is obviously an issue south.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:53 PM

35 posts, read 72,113 times
For those who live in Plainview, given the tax bill in this town, has anyone grieved their taxes and been successful? If so , how much was the tax savings? And what is the process to grieve? Thanks.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn-Qns-Nassau View Post
For those who live in Plainview, given the tax bill in this town, has anyone grieved their taxes and been successful? If so , how much was the tax savings? And what is the process to grieve? Thanks.
I've done it myself twice successfully and through attorneys twice successfully. It pulled down my taxes at least $4k.

When I appealed, the county put a ridiculous assessment on my house. I simply researched recent sales and showed that my house's value was hugely inflated. I don't know how the attys got it lowered. I let them take it because I thought the county's assessment was reasonable. Now, I let the attys appeal every year as I have nothing to lose. The current county's assessment now is way under what I can sell it for.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I've done it myself twice successfully and through attorneys twice successfully. It pulled down my taxes at least $4k.

When I appealed, the county put a ridiculous assessment on my house. I simply researched recent sales and showed that my house's value was hugely inflated. I don't know how the attys got it lowered. I let them take it because I thought the county's assessment was reasonable. Now, I let the attys appeal every year as I have nothing to lose. The current county's assessment now is way under what I can sell it for.
Have you had any additional fees from the attorneys? My parents say they got some from them years after it was done for them and they were pretty much stuck paying it. Also the other down side is you have to pay the 50% deduction to the attorneys (could be $2k+) right away.

I just got both mine and theirs reduced by doing it myself last year (applicable to next year - 2015). They reduced both by a considerable number (assessed value). As a matter of fact their neighbor (a childhood friend of mine) is only paying 10k (adjusted market value 332k) for the same house whereas my parents are now paying 14.8k (adjusted market value 471k) - they are exactly the same house - a typical split. At least they will drop to something like $12k next year if I'm not mistaken. I advised them to move their empty nest to Hicksville or Bethpage.

https://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenc...challenge.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island