Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:06 PM

13 posts, read 20,658 times

Advertisements

My hubby got a job in the financial district, we're planning on moving down state in the summer, but the building plot that we are looking at(dix hill, wheatley heights area) won't be available until after school starts. My idea is just to find a place in the district so that my 7 year old won't have to change schools. My husband wants to give the girls a "nyc experience" and live near his work. he's from Brooklyn so when we do get a chance to visit its only Manhattan and Brooklyn. Neither of us know the LI area well.

So my question is, where can I find a place to rent to for a year in the same district? Preferably near a LIRR stop, with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms? Also, we're an all star cheer family, 95% chance we'll be heading over to NJ for the season, so does anyone know of any all star gyms or gymnastics gyms near that area? Oldest wants to keep her tumbling up during the transition.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 10:35 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmom70 View Post
My hubby got a job in the financial district, we're planning on moving down state in the summer, but the building plot that we are looking at(dix hill, wheatley heights area) won't be available until after school starts. My idea is just to find a place in the district so that my 7 year old won't have to change schools. My husband wants to give the girls a "nyc experience" and live near his work. he's from Brooklyn so when we do get a chance to visit its only Manhattan and Brooklyn. Neither of us know the LI area well.

So my question is, where can I find a place to rent to for a year in the same district? Preferably near a LIRR stop, with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms? Also, we're an all star cheer family, 95% chance we'll be heading over to NJ for the season, so does anyone know of any all star gyms or gymnastics gyms near that area? Oldest wants to keep her tumbling up during the transition.

Thanks!
Yes, these are both great towns.

Both Dix Hills and Wheatley Heights don't have that many rentals. Wheatley Heights has some apartment complexes but they are almost all senior citizen 55+. As for house rentals, there still aren't that many in either of these towns but you can check Craigslist to see what they may have out there.

As for areas close to the LIRR within the Half Hollow Hills school district, you can try in the northern parts of East Farmingdale.

You can also try the parts of Wheatley Hts close to Straight Path as well as the section of Deer Park north of Old Country Road, just be aware that some may feel a bit uncomfortable walking down Straight Path to the Wyandanch LIRR stop since Wyandanch can be rough around the edges (but they're currently rejuvenating that stretch of road which is great). That LIRR stop also has free parking.

Here are some good sites to view available rentals:
HotPads - Find Houses and Apartments for Rent with Map-based Search
craigslist > sites
Find a home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate
Apartments for Rent - Your Trusted Apartment Finder Tool at ApartmentGuide.com
Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Houses for Rent - realtor.com®

Old 12-26-2013, 11:46 PM

9,915 posts, read 23,020,357 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Rentals are very limited in this School District (Half Hollow Hills) and they are mostly single family homes; from time to time apartment rentals do come on the market. I don't know what your budget is, but count on more than $3,000/mo for a 3 bed/2 bath house rental plus utilities.

Commuters chose either the Huntington train station or the Wyandanch station. Based on your comments regarding the location of your building plot, it sounds as though the Wyandanch station will be closer. Your hubby will have to experiment which is more suitable, especially when it comes to frequency and seat availability - a lot will depend on what time he leaves.

FYI, most landlords (and management companies for apartment complexes) use RE agents on Long Island who do the screening, etc. The fee on Long Island is paid by the tenant--unlike in most of the rest of the country.

Good luck!

P.S.: Please be careful/thorough when you select a builder.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:52 PM

The only All Star Gym on Long Island is in Levittown (Nassau County), not exactly close.
All-Stars Gymnastics

I have heard (not personal knowledge) that Gold Medal is good. Here's their website (more conveniently located from your future home):
Gold Medal Huntington | Gold Medal Gymnastics

Old 12-27-2013, 02:08 AM

Thanks for the replies. Budget really isn't an issue, considering my husband also wants to look at apartments in NYC just for the year. He's crazy I'm trying to change his mind lol

Old 12-27-2013, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Budget really isn't an issue, considering my husband also wants to look at apartments in NYC just for the year. He's crazy I'm trying to change his mind lol
Good luck with that

BTW, I looked at the City rental prices for a 3 bed/2 bath apartment. You're right, budget on Long Island isn't going to be an issue!! LOL

Moving with three small children on the other hand is another story entirely. IMHO once is more than enough - twice in such a short time...

Last edited by Elke Mariotti; 12-27-2013 at 02:45 AM..

Old 12-27-2013, 02:36 PM

Why is it that when I look up dix hills or wheatley heights rentals areas of Wyandanch come up? Is it like on the boarder? Also, why do some of the homes in WH seem to look a little run down? We chose this area because it was nice, Not saying that everyone needs to have a $500k house, but really?

Old 12-27-2013, 03:16 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,080,482 times
Quote:
Why is it that when I look up dix hills or wheatley heights rentals areas of Wyandanch come up? Is it like on the boarder? Also, why do some of the homes in WH seem to look a little run down? We chose this area because it was nice, Not saying that everyone needs to have a $500k house, but really?
Who said that area was nice? Did you see it for yourself? 500K in that area is actually low budget. Dix Hills is average 800k for a home in a good area and anything in the lower price points is not going to be a desirable or great area to be honest.

I looked in that area before I knew what was what. WH is far from nice IMO, it's just ok and it's definitely NOT Dix Hills. I chose not to move to that area, and stayed North of the LIE when looking at homes.

What is your budget when it comes time to buy?

Old 12-27-2013, 03:27 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,671 times
Quote:
It's VERY common for some realtors to purposely mislabel Wyandanch houses north of the LIRR tracks as Wheatley Heights. Wheatley Heights is ONLY north of nicolls rd AND west of straight path so be careful of that.

I don't know what section you were looking at, but the part of Wheatley Heights between Main Ave and Nicolls Rd is the least attractive section. They have a lot of small homes and some homes aren't kept that nicely; these blocks also directly border onto Wyandanch which is a rougher area.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 12-27-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 03:37 PM

75 posts, read 194,929 times
The Avalon apartments in Melville are clean and safe and go to half hollow hills schools. We lived there for a year until buying out home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island