U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 02:33 PM

83 posts, read 219,078 times

Advertisements

I presently have a Sentricon termite system that was installed by the previous owners of my home. I paid the yearly fee last year (just moved in) and just received a $400 renewal fee for 2014. I actually had to call the company to come out and inspect the traps last year, as they sent me a bill and seemed like they disappeared.

Is this system worth it? Presently, there are no indications that I have any active termites infestations at my home.

$400 just seems a lot of money to send to this company for pretty much nothing...

Thanks fore the advice in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 03:42 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,153,566 times
They have been reliable for me. Remember you get what you pay for.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:11 PM

17,794 posts, read 22,286,606 times
My mom has had this for several years and it is worth it.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:37 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,416,029 times
The newest termite system is a liquid defense product called Termidor. They inject it into the surrounding soil of your structures at a depth of 18 inches to 24 inches, it lasts for 10 years - any termite that comes into contact with it will take it back to the mother nest and eradicate the population within 2 weeks. The Sentricon system works through a baiting mechanism - in the green traps are pieces of bait, at inspection if any of the bait shows termite activity, the exterminator company will replace the bait with termicide - same concept as Termidor, the termites will take the termicide back to the mother nest and eradicate the population. The difference between the two products - Termidor is active, 24/7; Sentricon requires monitoring of bait stations and active application of termicide. Are they effective - yes, both systems work.
Is $400 a significant amount of money - maybe, how about spending $40 or $50 thousand dollars or more to replace foundation support beams that hold up your house?

Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 PM

751 posts, read 1,185,459 times
I had that system and thought it was a money drain. They don't repair any termite damage that they deem to have occurred before the start of the contract - and THEY being the experts, get to tell you when the damage occurred. In my case, a few years after having the system, I noticed some termite tracks in my detached garage, so I immediately called them. They advised me that 1) the damage occurred before I started the contract 2) the garage wasn't covered under the contract anyway (but they installed the traps all around it as a "courtesy" to me, bless their hearts).

The science makes sense, but I always felt like it was YET ANOTHER BILL in the trials of homeownership.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:53 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,793,638 times
the monthly fees can come down magically similar to your cable bills.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:23 PM

61 posts, read 152,378 times
Sentricon is a bait that kills the colonies and the fee is for them to come back ( i believe 4 trips a year). I didn't think I had termites until 2 years in they swarmed my house. Pest company came and a year later they came back. Called a different company who installed sentricon and so far, so good (been a year). did not know about termidor but have heard wonderful things about that as well. Sentricon works slower but I hear it works well also. if it gives you piece of mind pay it. If not don't but i'm sure you can always hire them back but may be at a higher cost?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:16 AM

9,864 posts, read 10,618,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
The newest termite system is a liquid defense product called Termidor. They inject it into the surrounding soil of your structures at a depth of 18 inches to 24 inches, it lasts for 10 years - any termite that comes into contact with it will take it back to the mother nest and eradicate the population within 2 weeks. The Sentricon system works through a baiting mechanism - in the green traps are pieces of bait, at inspection if any of the bait shows termite activity, the exterminator company will replace the bait with termicide - same concept as Termidor, the termites will take the termicide back to the mother nest and eradicate the population. The difference between the two products - Termidor is active, 24/7; Sentricon requires monitoring of bait stations and active application of termicide. Are they effective - yes, both systems work.
Is $400 a significant amount of money - maybe, how about spending $40 or $50 thousand dollars or more to replace foundation support beams that hold up your house?
Termidor is great ! We have used it for years and I would call it the best product out there; that said it is also illegal for use in New York for use on the home, just ant control in yards New York approves usage of TermidorĀ® NY for Outdoo .

We had Sentricon at my moms house, bait systems seem like an attractant for termites not a deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island