Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If your house has a garage, do you park any cars in it?
Yes, all the time 30 37.04%
Yes, but only during bad weather (snow storms, hurricanes) 8 9.88%
No, it's been converted to additional living space 6 7.41%
No, it's currently filled to the brim with "stuff" 30 37.04%
No, garages are stupid and I'd never buy a house with one 2 2.47%
Other (explain below) 5 6.17%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,078,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
. Our Realtor told us that no one on LI uses their garage for their cars anymore.
So, do you have a garage? If so, do you park any cars in it?
it sort of irks me when realtors make up stuff.

I walk my dog frequently, so I am somewhat familiar with my neighbor's habit counting about 40-50 houses or so. I would say 70% do garage their cars. But most own more than one car, so there is generally an extra car sitting on the driveway or on the sidewalk.

I personally take care of my vehicle & park it in my garage. My paint is flawless & I had a few compliments how clean my car is despite being 10+ years old...even got a few cash offers if I wanted to sell it.

in my experience...sure location would distort the #s....I think about 1 in 25 houses I've seen on LI have turned their garage in a family room/mancave. When I was house hunting, a garage was a must have. So don't feel like you are the only one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 10:34 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
We never parked our car in our garage on LI - we had a tiny one car garage. Even with NOTHING else in it not sure the car would fit!

We have a 2 car garage here and still don't park the cars in it, but we are expecting ice I'll make room for one of the cars. No way will 2 cars fit in there - again, too much junk!

I don't believe the car is significantly warmer but it's nice not to have to defrost it, etc.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We never parked our car in our garage on LI - we had a tiny one car garage. Even with NOTHING else in it not sure the car would fit!
curious, length or width issue?

I noticed some older house esp the small little barn like garages are pretty short in length....probably use to fit carriages in there. Or some people drive those giant Suburban/Tahoe where it won't fit into 95% of any garage.

not picking on anyone here.....honestly, most home owners have way too much clutter. I am somewhat guilty of that myself....my attic is 60% full now of my childhood goodies I just won't let go. Some are even worth a small fortune!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:59 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post

I noticed some older house esp the small little barn like garages are pretty short in length....probably use to fit carriages in there. Or some people drive those giant Suburban/Tahoe where it won't fit into 95% of any garage.
The short garages (some might still have front and back entrances) probably were built to house a Model T or similar vehicle of the era. Carriage barns tend to be larger as some folks had their carriage(s), horse (s), tack, and feed in there as well.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:06 AM

429 posts, read 853,176 times
We were recently contemplating bumping out the back of the garage to add a mudroom or something off the back, to connect to the kitchen/side of the house. Although the garage is already connected to the house, there's no inside entrance. Adding an entrance is an option, but I kind of like the idea of a mud room to buffer the outside from the inside, especially since we have no foyer/entry way in the front of the house.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 AM

^^one of my buddies in oyster bay has a carriage barn...its too small to fit a car of any length...well maybe those smart car or mini cooper. Maybe its not a real carriage barn...but its definitely looks barn like from the early 1900s.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:39 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Used to park my car in the garage.
Right now, there's no room, and come this Spring/Summer, I'll be sifting, selling and discarding, so I can get back in

Old 12-31-2013, 11:42 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
^^one of my buddies in oyster bay has a carriage barn...its too small to fit a car of any length...well maybe those smart car or mini cooper. Maybe its not a real carriage barn...but its definitely looks barn like from the early 1900s.
Model T's were 11' long which is 1 foot shorter than a 2013 Mini Cooper Coupe. You have to remember that the early cars didn't have the safety features (bumpers which add to the length) that modern cars do. It is very likely the person who built your friend's carriage barn had an early auto. Carriages needed more space.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:08 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:

not picking on anyone here.....honestly, most home owners have way too much clutter. I am somewhat guilty of that myself....my attic is 60% full now of my childhood goodies I just won't let go. Some are even worth a small fortune!
Probably more width than length.

I agree with you about a garage protecting your car, though. For many years I worked places where I could park in a parking garage and it definitely helped. Plus, never had to deal with boiling hot seats in the summer or cleaning snow off the car in winter (if it started snowing during the workday) was nice!

Old 12-31-2013, 01:59 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Had a true 2 car garage in my first house. Never parked a car in it.
Now I have a 1 car garage.
Still don't park a car in it.

My first house one side of garage was a soundproofed rehearsal & recording studio. The other side was the "workshop". I did any and all work on that side from home projects to car repairs and maintenance. My current home is only a 1 car but it oversized lengthwise so I built a soundproof studio in the back half and still have enough room up front to shoe-horn a car in there to work on it but it mostly the "workshop" again. I'm old and lazy and don't do too much automotive stuff myself anymore but I still do home related projects and such in there, especially after Sandy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island