Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:47 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I only have problem spots of ice because I was too sick to shovel last week (when we had a couple inches of heavy slush) and my wife didn't clear it well enough. I know better... clear it all out or you'll regret it later.

Also: How to make your own ice melt | News - WYFF Home
Atta' boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 01:20 PM

22 posts, read 30,245 times
It's winter :-)

Old 02-17-2014, 02:28 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2004 View Post
It's winter :-)
You sure?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:09 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
I wish we'd go back to getting snow storms in the summer instead of these winter ones.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:18 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
And it's snowing yet again...

Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
OK. This ranks up as the most naïve thing ever..... I received a note from the oil company that they couldn't get through the snow and ice to get to the tank in the fenced in yard. Ack... I hadn't even thought of maintaining a path, and the last fill was January 1.

I literally dug (an ax would have helped) from my back door all the way across the back yard. Then around the side of the house and around the front of the deck to the tank. I couldn't just walk around the house to the gate and dig from there to the oil tank because ummm a season of ice and snow is no match for shoes. Then I dug through the top half of my driveway snow/ice to the gate.

It was a season of not shoveled snow and layers of ice. After saying some select words, I poured six milk jugs of scalding water around the gate, used a large slab of rock I found under the deck to hurl at the frozen ground because the gate still couldn't be pushed in. I finally got it open and liberally poured ice melt all around the gate.

I am calling it my nontraditional method of maintaining a path to the oil tank. I am ready for my oil delivery now....
Strange as it sounds, boiling water won't help. I remember one of my old neighbors in NY dying laughing at another guy who was doing that. White collar funnies.

Any reason you can't get out your front door?

Old 02-18-2014, 06:27 AM

312 posts, read 516,051 times
I can get out the front door but they need to get through the gate to get to the oil tank. The gate pushes in. There was so much snow and ice it did not budge. We are talking feet of snow

The water seemed to help. Seriously. Even when I got the snow/ ice dug out, it would not open. Maybe it would have opened without it eventually. I have no idea. I primarily poured it under the door because the fence is too close to the ground to get the shovel under and in an inch size area down the side where both looked like ice. Who knows. However, it is open, and I hope by the end of March they can reach it because everything melted.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:32 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
42F tomorrow so if you shovel down high spots, the snow should melt for the most part.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:39 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
42F tomorrow so if you shovel down high spots, the snow should melt for the most part.
flooding! I am sure the sewers will be clogged full of ice

Old 02-18-2014, 09:55 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Strange as it sounds, boiling water won't help. I remember one of my old neighbors in NY dying laughing at another guy who was doing that. White collar funnies.
I remember the guy across the street pouring boiling water on the locks and crease of his car doors during an ice storm. Worked great, he was able to unlock and open the doors and start his car. The only problem was he went back inside while letting the car warm up and the doors froze shut again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island