U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:13 PM

13,566 posts, read 23,068,505 times

Advertisements

Please if you are responding to a post, take a moment to look at the date of the post.

Please read from the ToS..
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages

Post link not copyrighted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 07:28 PM

1,693 posts, read 6,128,912 times
I was up in LB last week and stayed at my late grandfather's house in the west end. I couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled up and saw that the person who bought the house next door tore it down. There was the framework for a giant 2 1/2 story house sitting on the entire peice of property. I later found out that it was baought by an infamous developer who has done much of the same around town. I'm sure it will be a nice home but it just overshadows the other houses on the block.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:55 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,815,122 times
Is the west end the place with all the bungalows? I love that area. Reminds me of some beachy California town.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:41 AM

189 posts, read 390,925 times
yeah the West End is more of the "Party" area and the East End is more for families. Of course that is a general way to look at it. Very unique area indeed!

Old 09-14-2010, 03:02 AM

1 posts, read 407 times
I'm 18 years old and lived in Long Beach my entire life up until I just recently began college. I'm 75% Irish, 25% Italian. For the most part, being Irish is pretty common, but my friends from Long Beach are extremely diverse- Catholic, Jewish, white, black, asian, hispanic. I went through the public school system starting from pre-school, and ended up being offered scholarships to multiple universities. In my honest opinion, Long Beach is the greatest place in the world to raise a family. As for Irish Day, it's a great celebration but it is known to get out of hand once it gets dark. As for the beach, there is no greater beach than Long Beach.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:37 AM

6,046 posts, read 7,411,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I remember Long Beach in the 70's and 80's when it was completely run down and drugs and gangs were rampant. It's probably the best turn-around story in the modern history of Long Island.
Parts of it are still kinda run-down. Most of West-end and the area by the train station behind Waldbaums.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimateach View Post
Long Beach is awesome. I have lived in the west end for 7 years, which is like little Ireland, and now live in the east end with my 3 kids. The beach is gorgeous, the people are hardworking, yet enjoy fun things, such as the boardwalk, biking, boating and shopping. The restaurants are great, some quite upscale. So far, my son is doing very well in school. All of the people that I know are professionals and involved in sports and education. the rec center is awesome, with great sports activities. Long Beach is not isolated at all - it is a 55 minute train ride to Penn Station. Lots of kids everywhere, great police force - we feel very safe. I will never leave - love it to death.
It is def. kinda isolated...sorry.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama View Post
and they love Long Beach. They're very happy with the public elementary school their kindergartener is attending. They go to the beach all year and the boardwalk is great. There is an Irish festival and we've been to a fall/Halloween festival every year with the kids where they went on hayrides or rode the fire truck. Their library is impressive, especially the adorable and comfy children's section. There is also a pool they go to with a cheap fee to get in. I know they are very happy in LB and don't plan to leave. I have never heard them talk about the high school but that is such a far way off for you that I think you could do worse than to come "home" to an area you already know you like and enjoy these early years in LB with your little one. As another poster said the elem schools are fine.
I would not take a baby to Irish Fest...with all the drunks and loud music and crowded streets...ya...no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island