U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 04:45 AM

10 posts, read 26,064 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

My husband and I, with our 2 year old daughter are thinking about moving to Long Beach. We lived in Queens a few years ago before we moved back to Ireland to have our baby.

The 3 of us have green cards and everything is above board. We currently live in Ireland so this would be a hugh move for us.

We've been to Long Beach several times and feel in love with the place.

I would love to hear from anyone who knows about Long Beach, rent costs, cost of living, schools, crime rates, good neighbourhoods etc.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 AM

414 posts, read 1,118,600 times
Hi, Sham, my sister lives in Dix Hills and I lived in Massapequa as a kid. I don't know much about Long Beach but your post made me smile. My ancestors came to NY during the Famine in the 1850's. We're Irish on both sides of the family. A great-great-grandfather fought in the Civil War. The house he lived in still has family members in it and his Union Army discharge papers, as well as his rifle, were found in the attic.

I wish you good luck with your move to NY!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:26 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,720,921 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Long Beach

For those who may not be familiar with Long Beach:

Long Beach is a city (chartered in 1922) located on Long Beach Island in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the City of Long Beach is bordered on the north by Hewlett Bay and Reynolds Channel; on the east by the Hamlet of Lido Beach in the Town of Hempstead; on the south by the Atlantic Ocean; and, on the west by the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach in the Town of Hempstead.

The City of Long Beach has a different border than does the "Long Beach, NY 11561" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Long Beach, NY 11561"mailing address and not be in the City of Long Beach): places that have a "Long Beach, NY 1561" mailing address, but are not in the City of Long Beach are in the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach and the Hamlet of Lido Beach, both of these hamlets are in the Town of Hempstead.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 11-27-2007, 02:07 PM

492 posts, read 73,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock100 View Post
Hi Everyone

My husband and I, with our 2 year old daughter are thinking about moving to Long Beach. We lived in Queens a few years ago before we moved back to Ireland to have our baby.

The 3 of us have green cards and everything is above board. We currently live in Ireland so this would be a hugh move for us.

We've been to Long Beach several times and feel in love with the place.

I would love to hear from anyone who knows about Long Beach, rent costs, cost of living, schools, crime rates, good neighbourhoods etc.

Thank you in advance.
Ive worked in Long Beach I know the area has lots of Jewish. I doubt you would along with them. Old people always calling the cops, ***** about Christmas lights, no Holiday decorations NY is famous for etc.
A handful of ex Mafia and currupt polititions have the waterfront houses, they are usually difficult as well.
The place is also police harrassment central, the worst in the county.
I find it a strange isolated place.

-Joe

Last edited by Joe L; 11-27-2007 at 02:15 PM..

Old 11-27-2007, 03:17 PM

123 posts, read 437,822 times
Actually, I do believe that LB has a good size Irish American population. As you head to the West End (?). There's an awesome Irish Festival in neighboring Atlantic Beach. Lots o' pubs thataway. Active parish St. Mary of the Isle.

It's definitely a lot more diverse than many LI communities in the real sense of the word. People of different races, religions and wealth. If you like the beach lifestyle, it rocks. My sister's been in the East End for two years and loves it. And we love tagging along to the beach. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up buying there.

Look into East Rockaway also. Not far from Long Beach, borders Oceanside and Lynbrook. I think there's lots of Irish and Irish Americans there.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:20 PM

4,217 posts, read 196,045 times
I am irish (from Cork) but live way out in suffolk county.

Ny is really a great place to live. Any of our friends who moved home, came back as they found it very hard to settle home again.

Good luck
dorothy

Old 11-27-2007, 03:22 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,122,070 times
Default There is a significant irish clan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibrarian View Post
Actually, I do believe that LB has a good size Irish American population. As you head to the West End (?). There's an awesome Irish Festival in neighboring Atlantic Beach. Lots o' pubs thataway. Active parish St. Mary of the Isle.

It's definitely a lot more diverse than many LI communities in the real sense of the word. People of different races, religions and wealth. If you like the beach lifestyle, it rocks. My sister's been in the East End for two years and loves it. And we love tagging along to the beach. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up buying there.

Look into East Rockaway also. Not far from Long Beach, borders Oceanside and Lynbrook. I think there's lots of Irish and Irish Americans there.
Particularly toward the west I find most of the residents are either young professionals or young families...mostly irish. And if Joe L. doesn't like the area then there is a good chance it is a very nice community...

Old 11-27-2007, 05:56 PM

10 posts, read 26,064 times
Thank you for all your replies, we are very excited about the move but cautious too, that's the reason I've posted my query. We have found it difficult to settle back into Irish life after being bitten by the New York bug. I don't know what it is about the place I wish I could put my finger on it, I guess it's an amalgamation of several different things. We just want to make sure that Long Beach is the best place for our daughter e.g. schools etc

Old 11-27-2007, 06:40 PM

492 posts, read 73,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibrarian View Post
Actually, I do believe that LB has a good size Irish American population. As you head to the West End (?). There's an awesome Irish Festival in neighboring Atlantic Beach. Lots o' pubs thataway
Ah Jeez ---that sideshow is almost in Far Rockaway !.
That festival---good god what a disgusting sight.
I was at it Labor day to pick up band equipment at Minnesota’s. It was Sunday Noon and people were still drunk and drinking, throwing up all over the street, coming up to your car door for a ride, people rolling in the street fighting like dogs.
IMO the area is run down, a sea of traffic lights, it also smells bad.
----Vermont street Ill never forget.

I'd rather gotten stuck in old Harlem ! At least in old Harlem the drunks cant get up on Sunday and the rest cant get there cars started.

-Joe L

Last edited by Joe L; 11-27-2007 at 07:12 PM..

Old 11-27-2007, 08:35 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,122,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Ah Jeez ---that sideshow is almost in Far Rockaway !.
That festival---good god what a disgusting sight.
I was at it Labor day to pick up band equipment at Minnesota’s. It was Sunday Noon and people were still drunk and drinking, throwing up all over the street, coming up to your car door for a ride, people rolling in the street fighting like dogs.
IMO the area is run down, a sea of traffic lights, it also smells bad.
----Vermont street Ill never forget.

I'd rather gotten stuck in old Harlem ! At least in old Harlem the drunks cant get up on Sunday and the rest cant get there cars started.

-Joe L
Yes, and that one weekend is a very accurate portrait of the entire community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island