Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 8,986 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking for a house in Valley Stream. It is my understanding that houses in the village are prohibited from having a bathroom or shower in the basement. I guess this is to discourage illegal tenants.

Anyway, because this will be my first home I have some questions.

How does the county and/or village actually know how much to tax you? How do they determine the actual value of your home? Do they come to your house and view the property? Do they have the right to do that if they suspect renovations have been made?

How would the village actually find out about the bathroom? The real estate agent says that it is common for homes to have illegal bathrooms but that doesn't make it okay for me. I'm a worrywart and I feel like I'd always be paranoid about getting caught. If the village actually finds out about it, what kinds of repercussions would I be facing?

I know I have asked a lot of questions but I do not know who to ask. I don't want to ask the real estate agent because she isn't officially my agent.

Thanks once again for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 AM

49 posts, read 160,842 times
Do you actually want to keep the bathroom? If you feel like you'd worry about it all the time, then you can always have it removed!

When shopping for homes, I've seen a good amount of basements that had illegal kitchens and/or bathrooms, but the owner can always remove the illegal additions if they really want to make the sale.

Assuming you find a house you really like, my guess is that you can make an offer contingent upon owner's removal of the illegal bathroom, in which case it will probably become a closet. However, if there are other buyers competing who don't request the removal, it could make your offer less competitive.

Disclaimer is that I haven't done this, so I don't know how well this approach works, but you can always try and see how responsive the seller is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: