Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 04:18 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
I believe, as long you don't change the footprint of the home, you may avoid an immediate increase in your assessment.

My neighbor knocked down the original structure--a ranch-style home built in the 70's--leaving only the rear wall. Apparently this was to keep the assessment the same. Then he built out a 3800 sq ft home. The assessment stayed the same for about two years, then the taxes took off and today, he pays a huge tax bill.

Otherwise, building out is like committing tax payer suicide, here on LI.
That used to be true in Brookhaven, but it no longer the case. The town got wise to it and now bumps your taxes up a little when a permit is opened, and soaks the homeowner in the CO is obtained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 04:41 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,008 times
Just curious, what happens to people who add on to their homes and don't get permits? I had a neighbor who did that, not sure of the details, however when they moved they had to do something (hire someone) to get the CO.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:55 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
Just curious, what happens to people who add on to their homes and don't get permits? I had a neighbor who did that, not sure of the details, however when they moved they had to do something (hire someone) to get the CO.
Chances are they hired an expediter.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Chances are they hired an expediter.
That's legal?

Old 01-03-2014, 06:02 PM

537 posts, read 1,447,816 times
I had an 1100 square foot house, added another 1300 for a total of 2400 square feet. My taxes went from 10k to 14k. Not bad.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:45 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
A few years ago I heard what they started doing was take overhead pics of areas and use a previous image underneath an overlay of the recent pic on top. That way they can see what has changed over a wide area. A friend who is a civil engineer re-did his entire house on his own but was caught a year later. No penalty. You wonder why so many people try and get away with it - because apparently it doesn't hurt to try.

Expeditors are for-hire and may even work for the town, so yes it's legal. If you went through the process and experienced all the little things they ask money for, you'd realize it's at least in part a money-grab.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:39 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
A few years ago I heard what they started doing was take overhead pics of areas and use a previous image underneath an overlay of the recent pic on top. That way they can see what has changed over a wide area. A friend who is a civil engineer re-did his entire house on his own but was caught a year later. No penalty. You wonder why so many people try and get away with it - because apparently it doesn't hurt to try.

Expeditors are for-hire and may even work for the town, so yes it's legal. If you went through the process and experienced all the little things they ask money for, you'd realize it's at least in part a money-grab.

Some or all have been using Google Earth for some time, initially to find "unauthorized" pools. With more experience, you could most likely determine expansions and similar improvements; whether or not they're officially doing that, I don't know.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:59 AM

622 posts, read 852,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
I had an 1100 square foot house, added another 1300 for a total of 2400 square feet. My taxes went from 10k to 14k. Not bad.
THat's what the town and county want you to think, except you'll pay that increase every year. I'm sure the addition has increased your quality of life in the house, but over the course 10 years, it will have cost you $40k, minimally.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
THat's what the town and county want you to think, except you'll pay that increase every year. I'm sure the addition has increased your quality of life in the house, but over the course 10 years, it will have cost you $40k, minimally.
Plus your taxes will increase again, anyway, and your base taxes are already $4k a year higher. Once they push your assessment, you're sunk.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Plus your taxes will increase again, anyway, and your bjase taxes are already $4k a year higher. Once they push your assessment, you're sunk.
And it goes up exponentially since its always a percent of the last years taxes. This is keeping us from adding on to our 1700 sq ft house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island