Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 AM

429 posts, read 852,434 times

Advertisements

This is our first winter in this home and this past Saturday with the frigid temperatures, we came home to water pouring out of our ceiling in front of the bay window in our living room and out of the ceiling fan right onto our brand new mattress and wood floors in our bedroom on the ground floor. We later found out that our heating pipe running across the eaves on the 2nd floor (under the dog dormer) burst in two places.

We've filed a claim with our home insurance and all day yesterday we had a Water Mitigation Crew come in and rip open the walls and ceilings, spray to prevent mold and basically dry out the place. The insurance adjuster should be here today or tomorrow. I'm hoping this process goes quickly, because it's been tough to live without a living room, TV or bedroom (and it's only been one day!).

Anyone else been through this before? Any words of advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 06:11 AM

537 posts, read 1,447,359 times
I had this happen to me once in my Levitt, although I paid for it out of pocket. $1500 plumber bill as part of an emergency. Originally the pipes were just frozen and I had a call in first to Petro as I had no heat. Then I called a plumber.

He had to thaw the pipes using these heating devices that attach to the pipes. Was a royal PITA. The problem was right after he thawed the pipes and my heat started working, I started seeing water. I had water in my bedroom ceiling but I was going to renovate that room anyways and gut the walls so replacing the sheetrock wasn't a huge issue.

Luckily I was home when this started to happen and the plumber was still there when I started seeing the water. It turned out I had a bleeder valve on a pipe BEHIND my wall in my eaves, and that bleeder valve froze. <banghead>

Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 AM

730 posts, read 1,655,722 times
Take pictures of everything and document all the damage.

Keep records of phone calls, responses and timing.

Mitigate any damage you can.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:44 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,148,057 times
Try to get the email of the insurance company adjuster who is signed to your case. That way you can easily send them pics/documents/etc. And you have a record of all correspondences.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 29 days ago)

43,603 posts, read 44,324,560 times
The heating pipe in my bathroom burst a few years ago. Luckily I live in rental and the super had it taken care of within a few days. But I do remember a couple of cold mornings/days in the bathroom until the burst section of the pipe was replaced.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
I had this happen to me once in my Levitt, although I paid for it out of pocket. $1500 plumber bill as part of an emergency. Originally the pipes were just frozen and I had a call in first to Petro as I had no heat. Then I called a plumber.

He had to thaw the pipes using these heating devices that attach to the pipes. Was a royal PITA. The problem was right after he thawed the pipes and my heat started working, I started seeing water. I had water in my bedroom ceiling but I was going to renovate that room anyways and gut the walls so replacing the sheetrock wasn't a huge issue.

Luckily I was home when this started to happen and the plumber was still there when I started seeing the water. It turned out I had a bleeder valve on a pipe BEHIND my wall in my eaves, and that bleeder valve froze. <banghead>
Yes, we had a plumber at our house until 1am on Saturday. This whole thing has been a huge PITA, but so far everyone we've dealt with about it has been really helpful. I'm just hoping the insurance adjuster isn't skimpy with the estimates. We have to replace a few pieces of expensive furniture, like our new mattress and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
Take pictures of everything and document all the damage.

Keep records of phone calls, responses and timing.

Mitigate any damage you can.
Thanks for the advice. It has been just a little more than 24 hours since the pipe burst occurred and the two rooms where the damage was have already been gutted to the studs. Acting fast is definitely key it seems.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM

176 posts, read 406,192 times
Also, you should consider using a Public Adjuster to handle your case rather than simply accepting the findings of the adjuster employed by the insurance company. You have a legal right to do this, and while the public adjuster does receive a percentage of the total cliam, in my experience they have always gotten a settlement so signficnatly higher than what the insurance company was offering that it more than ofset their cost. Remember, the insurance company is seeking to pay the minimum claim possible and the adjuster works for them. They know the law. You have the right to hire an expert to make sure you are not getting low balled.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1 View Post
Also, you should consider using a Public Adjuster to handle your case rather than simply accepting the findings of the adjuster employed by the insurance company. You have a legal right to do this, and while the public adjuster does receive a percentage of the total cliam, in my experience they have always gotten a settlement so signficnatly higher than what the insurance company was offering that it more than ofset their cost. Remember, the insurance company is seeking to pay the minimum claim possible and the adjuster works for them. They know the law. You have the right to hire an expert to make sure you are not getting low balled.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this. Do you recommend having my insurance company's adjuster come anyway to see what their assessment is, or are you saying that the public adjuster's assessment will always be better than our insurance company's?

Old 01-06-2014, 12:33 PM

312 posts, read 515,804 times
I am surprised people have these pipes burst. I thought pipes in the north were made to handle cold weather (insulated maybe?) I do not let the faucets drip or open my cupboards like I did the last l0 years. Maybe I should......

Old 01-06-2014, 01:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,148,057 times
Are you sure these are your actual heating pipes bursting and not plumbing lines? As cold as its been I'm surprised hot water lines are breaking especially with the boiler running and heating the house. Those pipes should be hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island