Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,515,841 times

Advertisements

I can not believe that I looked up 10 granite stores in Suffolk County and they are ALL open Mon-Fri 9-5
A select few were open 9-12 on Sat. Two places told me call before you come to make sure we are here. I understand some May be out on jobs. However, that's not the answer I was expecting. Another company told me "just call me Sat, I will open up for you"

With ALL the competition, you would think at least 1-2 store would be open longer than 9-5!
At least open on Sat 9-5, NOT 9-12!

Am I missing something here? Business that good with ALL these companies that they do not need to work past 9-5?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM

537 posts, read 1,445,287 times
They deal mostly with contractors probably. The people that show up after 5 are the more annoying homeowners.

Also I used Alcamo Granite in Commack before, very good experience.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:00 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,645,582 times
My stone guy is by appointment only. He will take the time with you to go over things, and will bring clients to the wholesale yard to select slabs. PM me if you want his name & #.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:33 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,515,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My stone guy is by appointment only. He will take the time with you to go over things, and will bring clients to the wholesale yard to select slabs. PM me if you want his name & #.
Thanks for the info! So many in that area! I will definitely call them.

Thanks again!

Old 01-10-2014, 06:54 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,645,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Thanks for the info! So many in that area! I will definitely call them.

Thanks again!
You're welcome. Let me know if it does/doesn't work out for you.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:23 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,636,751 times
Nash Granite was where I found the most selection. I had been to about a half dozen granite yards all over the Island from Commack to yards in Nassau County. Nash has a warehouse (it's cold even though it's indoors - you will definitely need a coat at this time of year) and granite outside in the yard as well. Anyone can walk in, but they will want the name of your contractor or designer before they'll let you in to see anything.

Nash is on Route 110 either in Farmingdale, or just south of it. Their entrance is on the east side of Route 110 and a little tricky to find - very easy to drive right by. There's another granite yard almost next door to them (north of Nash) that doesn't have the extensive selection Nash has, but it may be worth a look just because it's right there too.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:18 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,336,803 times
I don't have much of an answer for you. I was renovating my house and by the time we got to granite selection it was during my busy season. I was working a lot during the week plus Saturday. basically we just had to find the time during the week or early Saturday.

none were open on sunday. Saturdays were limited. Most yards would close early, most fabs were open for the day.

it is a problem that you'll find in most of the renovation type places, they cater a lot to contractors, and less so to homeowners, so the hours are more limited, or skewed very early, closing by 4-5. Unfortunately, most of the good places, sources, fabricators or whoever.... are in that bucket

Old 01-16-2014, 04:42 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,379,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post

Also I used Alcamo Granite in Commack before, very good experience.

Although we ultimately didn't use them, I was very happy with their staff and selection and we'll strongly consider using them for our home addition which will include a kitchen/bathrooms.

We ended up going with Imperial Stone in E. Northport because we were under a time constraint and we had scheduled the appointments prior to visiting Alcamo. Alcamo gave us a lower quote, but they weren't going to be able to get the job done within our time constraints (which was rather quickly and asking a lot of a business.) Imperial Stone matched Alcamo's quote and they did a good job, so I can't complain, but it was a rather straight forward install, just a large slab of Pietra Cardosa, finished edges and a backsplash.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 PM

721 posts, read 1,563,312 times
I also used Alcamo in Commack and was very happy with how it turned out. I have quartz not granite and had picked it out after seeing it elsewhere. I was not at all happy with the other vendor. I called Alcamo based on a rec from a friend and they were great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: