Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 06:06 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

Wow. Eastern LI has a population density similar to Southern NJ. Why didn't the government raise speed limits to 65 mph in Suffolk county. Is Suffolk truly that broke . 55 is laughable for the LIE around exit 63 or so where it transforms into a semi rural interstate highway. Just thinking of a semi rural interstate in NY with "Speed limit 55" makes me want to chuckle. Yes, people should drive at a prudent and safe speed, and 65 mph is not dangerously fast for this road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 07:09 AM

46 posts, read 18,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
Has anyone ever gotten ticketed for going between 55 and 65? I doubt it, and really, I don't think it would matter what the speed limit is.
I have seen cops there pull people over for going 62-63 even at around exit 65!! I swear this highway has a ridiculous speed limit and the most speed traps I have ever seen. Oh now they hide between the 2 medians in the center. I drove 100 mph on this road last weekend and it felt fine. 65 mph speed limit is still too low for long island.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
55 = 75
65 = 85

I think most drive fast enough.
Wrong, people drive what they feel comfortable with regardless of the speed limit. And who cares anyway? Even 80 is reasonable for the suffolk section of I 495

Old 09-09-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^Spot on.

We dont need nut jobs in their big SUV's barreling down the highways at 90 mph.

It will stay 55 for that reason.
Ha ha I went 100 this weekend, right past some 55 signs, people drive what the want regardless

Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I got fined heavily for doing 71 in a 55 zone. Road was empty. Cop refused to let me go without a $200 speeding ticket. I will never speed again.
Long Island cops, especially garden city cops, are pompous *******s. They know the roads can handle 80 mph and they hide in every nook and cranny next to the LIE waiting to pull some innocent guy over for doing a whopping 75 mph. They really should get rid of all those openings in the side of the road. It is also dangerous that if I need to pull over and not see that cop hiding around the curve. Basically traffic will be peacefully flowing at 75 mph and then everyone will slam on their breaks if there is ANY car on the shoulder (about 10 abandoned ones in suffolk county)., and take their eyes off the road and look at their speedometer due to fear of getting ticketed, despite just driving normally. I doubt any of the OCD safety fanatics posting here go anywhere near 55 on that road, hypocrites.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
The difference between driving the LIE from the Midtown Tunnel to Riverhead at 55 mph or 75 mph will save you a whole whopping 15 minutes.

But then again...Long Islanders are busy people and that extra 15 minutes will make a whole lot of difference in their otherwise humdrum lives.
I completely see your point, that is why I drive 100 MPH instead of 55, nearly cutying the time in half.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
When the speed limit is 55 people do 70, if they raise it to 65, people will do 80.
Nope, people drive what they feel comfortable with. Did you ever consider that if the speed limits were reasonable to begin with, people wouldn't feel the need to go 15 over in the first place? Raise the limit to 75, and everyone will continue going 80-85 like they usually go in suffolk county and there won't be a problem. The road can handle the speed, let alone 65 mph. The few guys going 90 are going to do it anyway, even at 55 mph limit (me) and many people see ridiculous speed limits as a joke and an incentive to speed. In fact, I actually respect 65 mph speed limits more often than not because at least it isn't a scam and they are considering what the road is designed to handle. 55 mph however, can go screw off and I just floor it. Very Wrong there buddy.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:44 AM

Agreed, the cops always hide when traffic open up, which is ridiculous because it is safer to fo faster in suffolk county than nassau county. They hide where it is reasonable for people go fast and slap tickets and them there. It is beyond gross extortion. Most states are 75+, not ny, the pigs need something to do.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Finally, whats with the minimum speed limit signs. I have not seen those signs along any other highway in new york besides the LIE.

The Grand central parkway speed limits are beyond retarded. 45 mph minimum speed with 55 mph maximum. You would die when you see the new 45 mph white speed limit sign on the thruway across the tappanzee bridge. Drops from 65 to 45 for no reason in an instant while everyone is going 70-80. A road that can handle 120.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:49 AM

151 posts, read 130,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSpeeder View Post
The Grand central parkway speed limits are beyond retarded. 45 mph minimum speed with 55 mph maximum. You would die when you see the new 45 mph white speed limit sign on the thruway across the tappanzee bridge. Drops from 65 to 45 for no reason in an instant while everyone is going 70-80. A road that can handle 120.
Too many ubers and NYC cabs going 40 in the left lane these days as they cross into Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island